UFC Fighter Pay: A Solution...?

FireKidWS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
As any intelligent in the know UFC fan knows, the UFC is notoriously cheap with paying fighters.

One problem that arises when fighters get more pay, however, is that they tend to fight less (see Nate Diaz, McGregor).

One possible solution to solve both these problems is to create a retirement system. Keep the standard pay system as it currently to pay out the fighters, but create a fund for each fighter. Every fight they get double the current amount-- half now, half upon retirement.

To ensure they are actually retired you could make it so they have to wait a year and a half to receive their money without fights, or be over a certain age (38 or so).

Doubling fighter pay would actually start being reasonable with how underpaid they are currently.

Ill post some rebuttals to common arguments in the next post.

Rebuttal One: Fighters should ask for more money:

Some people are dumb enough to believe that all a fighter has to do is say "Pay me more!" and they magically will get more money without any repercussions.

Dana is a dick. He gets his way or you get booted. And his way is to make shit loads of money for the company at the expense of the fighters.

Rebutal Two: Fighters can just go to other organizations:

And for those using Bellator as an example of how UFC pay is good, you are moronic. Bellator pay being shit means the fighters have no where else to go. One FC also pays less than the UFC, and the other small organizations certainly do too.

Rebuttal Three: Its a free market, so fighters should just start their own organization

And finally, before someone says "Oh, well its a free market, start up an organization if you want to pay fighters more!" Ive heard this argument before, and again, its idiotic. It takes years to build a good organization and create a name brand-- usually longer. You have to have lots of capitol to start, and contacts, ins with fighters, ect. Dana was able to do it over a long period of time backed by millionaires, and he almost failed.

So yes, the bottom line is the UFC should pay their fighters more. End of discussion.

knock a motherfucker out or snap a bone...thats what they want,then you get paid!

They should cut wmma and pay that money to hard working men!

Last edited:
Not every fighter deserves to get paid

The ones who do deserve it seem to be getting it

50k isn't "getting paid" when you have coach fees, gym fees, travel fees, taxes, ect.
I still don't understand why people keep saying "taxes" when complaining about fighter pay, as if it's the UFC taxing them or doesn't apply to everybody else in every job.

The UFC covers travel and medical costs, and the UFC doesn't have anything to do with whatever deal they have worked out with their coaches and managers.

For god sake what about the million of persons who live with the minimum wage?
ok ok lets not take it to extremes! How much money will a teacher make per year where you live at? Much more then 50k?
And a cop? A firefighter? A trainer? A referee?
There are zillions of professions no one is forced to chose one over another, a lot of teachers can get paid more on other jobs, but tey like to teach so they are teachers. A firefighter could make more money somewhere else but the job they do gives them joy. Why tha F$%k should anyone be worried with fighters payment?

Those people aren’t fighting in a cage making hundreds of millions of dollars for their promoters. Fuck off you rube.

Solid discussion going here. I’ve never been a union worker/represented unions so I really am not the guy who should be discussing that, but it seems logical that a union would do all the things discussed in the OP.

Honestly if the feds don’t start sniffing around nothing will change. I think Andrew Yang brought this up lol. It’s actually one of this talking points. Government regulation could shut this shit down.

Mma fighters aren’t getting a fair split of the revenue, bottom line.

Only 99% of the persons on Sherdog wish they could get as much money as the weakest UFC fighter :)
I can't imagine sitting around complaining that people who already make a lot more than me aren't making enough and even calling it "peanuts". I make double the average household income for the US which is still a lot less than most active fighters, so I'm gonna go ahead and focus on my own income rather than complaining about pro athletes not making enough. There's a thread on the first page about Costa getting paid "peanuts" for last night. Between show, win, performance bonus and sponsors, the guy probably made over $200k for his last fight alone, which is 20x the average yearly household income in Brazil, and the guy who made the thread calling it "peanuts" probably works in an office for $42k/year.

Pay incentives for finishes like Lyoto was recently rumored to have when he fought Tito.

Escalating pay for each year where if the fighter fights a 5th time during the year, the pay is bigger than the 4th time he fought that year. This would incentivize more fights per year. This would motivate the bigger draws to compete more often. Everyone wins.

As any intelligent in the know UFC fan knows, the UFC is notoriously cheap with paying fighters.

One problem that arises when fighters get more pay, however, is that they tend to fight less (see Nate Diaz, McGregor).

One possible solution to solve both these problems is to create a retirement system. Keep the standard pay system as it currently to pay out the fighters, but create a fund for each fighter. Every fight they get double the current amount-- half now, half upon retirement.

To ensure they are actually retired you could make it so they have to wait a year and a half to receive their money without fights, or be over a certain age (38 or so).

Doubling fighter pay would actually start being reasonable with how underpaid they are currently.

Ill post some rebuttals to common arguments in the next post.
Top fighters and champions are paid well and taken care of.
Bottom guys are not, but that's the nature of this business (bottom guys are still paid more in the ufc than anywhere else).
Solution: bottom guys who are not happy with the payment should keep winning and if/when they become top guys, they wouldn't have problems with the pay.

I can't imagine sitting around complaining that people who already make a lot more than me aren't making enough and even calling it "peanuts". I make double the average household income for the US which is still a lot less than most active fighters, so I'm gonna go ahead and focus on my own income rather than complaining about pro athletes not making enough. There's a thread on the first page about Costa getting paid "peanuts" for last night. Between show, win, performance bonus and sponsors, the guy probably made over $200k for his last fight alone, which is 20x the average yearly household income in Brazil, and the guy who made the thread calling it "peanuts" probably works in an office for $42k/year.
Excellent post.
Spot on.

How much money will a teacher make per year where you live at? Much more then 50k?

Teachers don't deserve more than 30-40k a year. Bitches don't even finish their job, and just call it homework. Then get a week off every month , then the entire summer. That's a part time vacation career.

Why would the UFC consider paying its fighters more?

Incel or gay?

Nothing wrong with being gay by the way.
Do you like to watch battered women?
wTHqSmU.jpg

Like in boxing, if you headline a big card you should get at least 1 million, and you should continue to make at least 1 million for the rest of your career.

Seem to remember ATT charge their pro fighters 5% of purses for training and management, it's still 5% if you choose your own manager. Guys like Mike Perry are paying too much.

Why you guys care about how much a stranger gets paid for fighting in a cage is disturbing.

You will never see these pro fighters saying:

“We need to champion the salary for sherdoggers”

Hell, they don’t even care about how crazy the ppv price is or the actual ticket price just to sit on a lawn chair and stare up at a tv screen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back