Who wins between Jon Jones and Stipe?

Who wins?

• Total voters

LoadedZeus

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Thought yesterdays fight card opened up a lot of possibilities for the heavyweight division once more, with Jon Jones vs Stipe probably being the most coveted as of now. Also, its worth mentioning how Jones took no time to post about Stipe being the baddest HW of all time... Its seem less of a dig towards DC but moreso setting up the narrative that he can now be the greatest of all time by beating Stipe. Im sure Jones was super pissed at DC taking that chance moving up before he did lol

Anyways, who do you guys think would win and why? I think Jones would trouble Stipe with his leg kicks and movement but won't be able to stay away from Stipes right hand for the entire fight, and Stipe would be the biggest guy jones has fought as well. My pick would Stipe ko within 3-4 rounds. Jones' only chance imho would be to point fight and circle around Stipe for 5 full rounds, I just dont see that happening... Stipe proved himself with the 5 rounders with the Ngannou and DC 2nd fight, as well the JDS war a few years back

Stipe because Jones never gets the courage to challenge him

If it's Stipe who turned up last night in the first few rounds, Jones will keep him at range and maybe ground and pound him. I'd take Stipe on his best day though

>Implying Jones ever fights a HW

The guy needs juice and coke to compete with blown up MWs LOL
<36>

Stipe.

Jones's struggle with short MW's becomes a nightmare with tall HW's.

Jones matches up poorly with top HW's.

Jones finishes Stipe in the fourth. Stipe is a better pure boxer but Jones is a far better overall striker...and better everywhere else. He also would be bringing 20 more pounds of muscle into the ring, which may bring that KO power with it (just as it did for DC and others who have moved up).

Stipe would be a much easier fight than Ngannou for Jones, IMO. Jones would beat both, but he’d point fight Francis to avoid that KO power until Francis gassed and was taken down. Until Francis gassed, Jones - even with his iron chin - would always be at risk for the one punch KO.

JBJ is the master of using his reach advantage.

He wouldn't have much of a reach advantage vs Stipe. He wouldn't have a strength advantage or the speed advantage DC had either.

IMO Stipe is a better boxer in terms of offense and hits harder. Jones is more versatile and has better wrestling but we just never seen him vs someone as big, heavy or strong as Stipe.

Jones wins via decision if the fight stays in the clinch. He has pretty good trips there and can probably stay on top.

If it stays standing I could see Stipe Outland him in terms of significant strikes maybe even get a lot. Only way Jones hurts him is elbows. I wouldn't be too surprised if Jones lands more overall strikes by use of oblique kicks to control spacing

We saw Conor stroll through 145 like a boss and once he was up against guys at 155 where he should have been all along, the playing field looked to be more equal. It may turn out the same for Jon if he fights guys at hw.

Jon. Stipe isn’t that big of a heavyweight

Jones wins by being better at every aspect of MMA.

Jones is more skilled and probably wins. But won't take the risk due to the potential of getting knocked out.

Jones finishes Stipe in the fourth. Stipe is a better pure boxer but Jones is a far better overall striker...and better everywhere else. He also would be bringing 20 more pounds of muscle into the ring, which may bring that KO power with it (just as it did for DC and others who have moved up).

Stipe would be a much easier fight than Ngannou for Jones, IMO. Jones would beat both, but he’d point fight Francis to avoid that KO power until Francis gassed and was taken down. Until Francis gassed, Jones - even with his iron chin - would always be at risk for the one punch KO.

Bringing power with extra weight can sometimes be a trade off for speed and agility. Hoping he will have extra power going into a division where power is just a given with everyone doesn't mean a whole lot. The question would be, will he retain the advantages that set him aprt at lhw? I think there will be more negative effects than positive.

Another thing to consider is that Stipes eyes are conditioned now after his fights with Cormier so one of Jons best tools is off the table.

Back