Why Didn't Romero Utilize His Wrestling?

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
<{vega}>

I don't get it. He's an olympic wrestling medalist and could have taken Costa down and smashed him on the ground but chose to keep the fight standing.

The only time I remember him going for a takedown was at the end of the first round and he took Costa down with ease.

Why not utilize the wrestling?

The pressure of Costa.

Plus it was not easy to take him down and it takes a lot of energy.

Didn't Costa reverse a couple of takedowns?

Because he’s not 28 anymore. Wrestling really tires you out and is a young mans game.

i would say that he's cautious how he manages energy

But it's a 3 round fight and he's gone 5 many times

Seems like a lapse in fight iq there for sure, maybe just felt comfortable and confident that he could win on the feet

In an mma fight, guys like costa are extremely hard to take down.

Because he’s not 28 anymore. Wrestling really tires you out and is a young mans game.
It worked for old Randy on Sylvia.Costa was just as gassed. i think Yoel could have had alot more success with a couple of well timed takedowns

In an mma fight, guys like costa are extremely hard to take down.
The pressure of Costa.

Plus it was not easy to take him down and it takes a lot of energy.
its not pressure or guys like costa. yoel doesnt take anyone down. when he does so its for points. he has no ability to keep ppl down. hes gassing out standing flat footed boxing. he would gas in 2 mins grappling.

yoels body type is good for freestyle wrestling. score some quick points with explosive power and stall rest of match. you cant do that in MMA.

Guys like khabib, colby, askren etc might not have a body like jordan burroughs etc.. but theyre better equipped for long mma wrestlings. not simply scoring 2 takedowns and defending rest of match.

It worked for old Randy on Sylvia.Costa was just as gassed. i think Yoel could have had alot more success with a couple of well timed takedowns

Yoel and Randy have different Wrestling styles.

Yoel uses rapid movement when he goes for his takedowns from all the freestyler Wrestling he has done. MMA Wrestling is different. If he was younger it would be different

Je tried and couldn't this ain't just wrestling and Costa is too damn powerful his Brazilian juice is at least as good as yoel's Cuban juice

Because he never does

Taking a near-maked man down and lying on top of him? No forgay jesus

Who knows, he hasn’t used it really in ages. When he did last night it seemed like he was just using it to try and steal the round.

Yoel and Randy have different Wrestling styles.

Yoel uses rapid movement when he goes for his takedowns.

His wrestling style worked at the end of the 2nd.He could have done that more.He already has done it to more proven grapplers

Costa has the upper body of a HW. It is likely a difficult path of victory, and spamming takedowns is a surefire way to gas yourself out.

Because Costa has good TDD?

Easier said than done. Takes a lot of energy against a strong guy like Costa.

Same reason D.C. didn't use his...same reason I haven't seen Gaethje's yet..either their wrestling is useless in MMA or they just want to make the fight as difficult as possible and they're cage stupid

Back