Octagon Control/Walking forward is the most overrated/unrealistic metric of scoring a fight

Serenity Now

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Who gives a fuck about walking forward if you're getting countered eachtime to the face?...walking forward/octagon control has nothing to do with actual fighting.

Fighting is about being effective.....simply walking forward and "controlling" the octagon is not effectiveness....countless of times a fighter with a good chin has walked forward and gotten hit over and over again.....I wouldn't give him points for walking forward nor will I say the fight is in his/her control.

Striking/submissions/gnp, those are effective and create damage...simply walking forward and controlling octagon does nothing on itself.

Look the only way octagon control should win a fight if its literally ZERO punches are thrown.....then in that case the aggressor would win...but in 99% of cases we should judge effectiveness of fighting, not who is walking forward.

And yes Im doing this thread because of yoel....both yoel and costa were amazing but it was fucking clear that yoel had the way better strikes in the fight(costa only had the great knockdown in the first)....but even though yoel was the most effective fighter, he lost because paulo was pushing most of the fight...its fucking stupid.

Costa was there to win. Romero was there to survive a contest. Costa won fair and square. Time to move on.

Costa was there to win. Romero was there to survive a contest. Costa won fair and square. Time to move on.

Yoel also had multiple chances to have 5 round fights. This was a learning experience for Costa, his longest fight ever. Next time around he will pace better if he has to! I am not sure if Israel and WHitaker can just tank these shots on the chin like GOAT chin Yoel can though :p

Man I can't wait to see all these fights

Last edited:
Disagree. All real combat is about controlling an objective.

(I do think Romero won that fight, but I disagree with your broader point.)

Survive? Dude Yoel had the better strikes in 2nd/3rd round.

Walking forward has nothing to do with winning.......landing strikes does.

octagon control should be a metric used for scoring a fight, it just shouldn't be the most important one.

That stat, octagon control, is only to help sway judges in a stalemate situation between striking and grappling.

If a fighter is landing counters all day, they’ll still win the decision.

Costa landed the harder, more impactful strikes in rounds 1 and 2. Hence, 29-28 on all cards.

Octagon control is a secondary criteria when the striking is close.

In an even fight the aggressor should be the winner. What if both fighters decided they want to let the other engage?

Disagree. All real combat is about controlling an objective.

(I do think Romero won that fight, but I disagree with your broader point.)
Bullshit.

Combat is about being effective.

Walking a fighter down is not effective if they are constantly getting counterstriked....so pushing the pace doesnt neccesarily means they are in control.

Who gives a fuck about walking forward if you're getting countered eachtime to the face?...walking forward/octagon control has nothing to do with actual fighting.

Fighting is about being effective.....simply walking forward and "controlling" the octagon is not effectiveness....countless of times a fighter with a good chin has walked forward and gotten hit over and over again.....I wouldn't give him points for walking forward nor will I say the fight is in his/her control.

Striking/submissions/gnp, those are effective and create damage...simply walking forward and controlling octagon does nothing on itself.

Look the only way octagon control should win a fight if its literally ZERO punches are thrown.....then in that case the aggressor would win...but in 99% of cases we should judge effectiveness of fighting, not who is walking forward.

And yes Im doing this thread because of yoel....both yoel and costa were amazing but it was fucking clear that yoel had the way better strikes in the fight(costa only had the great knockdown in the first)....but even though yoel was the most effective fighter, he lost because paulo was pushing most of the fight...its fucking stupid.

This is the same as taking someone down.
Why does it wins you the round?
If you effectively does not do any damage from the top, being on top is useless.
However it is what it is, and rules were made because uneducated MMA viewers would not understand that the guy in the bottom might be winning because he is attempting submissions while the guy on the top is only defending those submissions without putting out any offense.

Walking forward alone is just a dumb as backing up alone. The difference is the person backing alone up is avoiding the fight... hence failing to assertively defend.

This is particularly relevant to MMA because tactical intelligence is so low. Hence avoidance over action.

Kartate based fighters in MMA come to be especially guilty of this. Who? Liddell, Machida, Thompson, Nakasawa all wide circling avoider's. It's really a systemic failing, however.{<shrug}

Costa landed the more significant strikes of the fight, many of Romero’s strikes were simply to back Costa off or short range dirty boxing.

Costa pressed forward and ripped to the body with kicks and hooks. Any man NOT built like Romero would have crumbled.

BrokenDownrightBluefish-size_restricted.gif

Combat is about being effective.
No. U.S. was 20x as effective as its opponent in Vietnam and still lost the war.

If you punch a guy for hitting on your wife, and then he bangs your wife, who wins?

If someone tries to mug you, and you land 2 punches to his zero, but he takes your wallet, who wins?

Blame his gas tank, not the rules. Romero shouldn't of wasted all that energy sticking out his tongue everytime Costa hit him.

This is the same as taking someone down.
Why does it wins you the round?
If you effectively does not do any damage from the top, being on top is useless.
However it is what it is, and rules were made because uneducated MMA viewers would not understand that the guy in the bottom might be winning because he is attempting submissions while the guy on the top is only defending those submissions without putting out any offense.
Taking someone down, at least at that very moment gives 100% control to the attacker over the defenders body....so it might not be a damage move but it is a dominant move.

Walking forward and moving somebody back, might be considered dominant but with takedowns you are actually 100% in control atleast for 1 or 3 second of the fight so yeah they should be somewhat rewarded but yeah they are also scored way too highly.

Sherdog had 40-37 strikes landed in rd 2 in romeros favour.Rd 2 is exactly why octagon control should be taken into consideration.

Costa landed the more significant strikes of the fight, many of Romero’s strikes were simply to back Costa off or short range dirty boxing.

Costa pressed forward and ripped to the body with kicks and hooks. Any man NOT built like Romero would have crumbled.

BrokenDownrightBluefish-size_restricted.gif
I gave you a like. Yet this is restating the obvious. Plus he's walking forward &+ doing something.<bball2>

Romero was facing a mirror image of himself this time. Most opponents' are intimated to overpowered by Yoel.

Great match up BTW.<{Fergie}>

Its not overrated. When all else is equal we go for who is trying to fight. The point of a fight is to fight, not run away. I get what Romero was trying to do: get the 3rd round finish. This time it didn't pay off just just like it didn't against Whitaker.

It was a good close fight where the gameplan didn't work. No robbery

Taking someone down, at least at that very moment gives 100% control to the attacker over the defenders body....so it might not be a damage move but it is a dominant move.

Walking forward and moving somebody back, might be considered dominant but with takedowns you are actually 100% in control atleast for 1 or 3 second of the fight so yeah they should be somewhat rewarded but yeah they are also scored way too highly.
you are not thinking it through.
You take Demian Maia down.
Why in this world would Demian stop you from doing that?
ANd do you really believe you will be with the advantage taking Maia down?
If you think that, I have a bridge I want to sell you!

Back