I Was Not Impressed with Stipe's Performance (Says Red-Faced Stipe)

Comeback of the Year?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

ANAHEIM, Calif. – Stipe Miocic is pleased he got the job done and regained the UFC heavyweight title from Daniel Cormier on Saturday in the UFC 241 main event, but he’s not proud of his performance prior to the knockout.

stipe.jpg

Miocic (19-3 MMA, 13-3 UFC) took his fair share of damage from Cormier (22-2 MMA, 11-2 UFC) over more than three rounds in the title rematch, which took place at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif. In the fourth, though, he found a weak spot on “DC” and worked the body to set up the opening to land to the head and finish the job.

The two-time heavyweight king said he was upset with how he performed prior to when everything came together.

“I was fighting like a b1tch,” Miocic told reporters, including MMA Junkie, post-fight at UFC 241. “I really was. I don’t take nothing from ‘DC.’ He’s tough. He’s fought the best in the world and he’s beat the best in the world. It took me a little time to get my mojo, and I just wasn’t feeling it. When I walked out for that fourth round, I knew it was going to be over. I could just see his face, the way he was sweating, the way his hips were moving. I knew it was going to be over.”

After stopping Cormier, Miocic did an out-of-character celebration, dancing around the center of the octagon. Miocic said it was somewhat of an out-of-body experience, and he is somewhat regretful of his actions.

“It was a little from ‘Old School’ – we watched it today and I was just like ‘Frank the Tank,'” Miocic said. “I had no idea what I was doing. I don’t know why I did it. I feel really dumb that I did it, and I did like the ‘Suck It.’ I don’t know why. I had to do something with my hands and feet. I’m an idiot. I don’t know. I’m just dumb.”

After starting his second championship reign, Miocic dismissed all questions about future matchups. He wants to revel in his victory and once he heals from a grueling fight, will reconvene with his team and the UFC about what’s next.

“Everyone’s question after I fight is, ‘Who are you going to fight next?'” Miocic said. “Honestly, I just bought a new home, lived there for two weeks. I’m going to go [home].”

-MMAJunkie.com

Last edited:
dc had a shitty gameplan. he dominated the first 2 rounds and then went full retard

He was very tentative because of the last fight. Ring rust too

Stipe really came alive in the 4th, I was shocked at how DC didn't adjust one bit to the same body shot again and again.

ima need a gif of his post fight dance celebration.

I'm as happy for Stipe as I am sad for DC. I hate that Jones is probably loving DC's end.

He's right imo. DC was up 3-0 on my card heading into the 4th. Looked like he was visibly slowing by halfway through the third though, and when Stipe made the proper adjustment and went to his body he got it done.

It was a brilliant mid-fight tweak for Stipe, in a fight he was getting thoroughly beaten up in.

Stipe really came alive in the 4th, I was shocked at how DC didn't adjust one bit to the same body shot again and again.

He figured Stipe would eventually set up a left hook upstairs, so he kept protecting his head. He should've been trying to counter instead of guessing if Stipe was gonna go upstairs or downstairs.

Good to see he is down to Earth and aware of his shortcomings prior to the turning point.

I don't think he will make the mistake of underestimating his opponent after that first fight, ever...

ima need a gif of his post fight dance celebration.

Lol Stipe just suddenly looked somehow fresher in Round 4 than round 1. It was like a lightbulb clicked and he realized he has not been KO'd so best just start cracking. IMO how Stipe looked in Round 4 is alot more like normal Stipe. Cormier was really lighting him up early, but it was so funny when he popped out that dance at the end out of the blue :D

Lol Stipe just suddenly looked somehow fresher in Round 4 than round 1. It was like a lightbulb clicked and he realized he has not been KO'd so best just start cracking. IMO how Stipe looked in Round 4 is alot more like normal Stipe. Cormier was really lighting him up early, but it was so funny when he popped out that dance at the end out of the blue :D

Yeah, that dance was epic... it definitely needs to be turned into a Sherdog GIF.

Seems like DC went in too confident. He was definitely able to outstrike Stipe but I think DC expected to get the finish before round 4.

I'm not a big fan of Stipe, and during the first three rounds of the fight I thought he looked terrible, but the fact that he agrees with me makes me like him more.

He won though? DC was ranked their #1 P4P, and people were talking about him being the GOAT if he beat Stipe last night. So to totally dismiss Stipe's victory is just wrong.

I wasn't rooting for anyone until DC blatantly eye poked Stipe.

Yeah he did that a lot in the first fight as well. Cormier is a known hypocrite, he pretends to be an honest family man but he never hesitates to use dirty tactics.

Back