165 division - why not?

Avenchi

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why is Dana so mad when someone brings that up? Why is he so stubborn? Didn't make 1 legitimate argument against creating the division, there are literally so many fighters in both divisions that would benefit from that since LW and WW have the most fighters and are these weight classes are the most popular ones. He only mumbles something about fighters jumping from 1 weight class to another all the time and that would create chaos. That's true, but only for a certain amount of time.
And that's exactly what started to occur when Dana created women's feather and fly weight classes. Somehow that didn't cross his mind when creating these? Was that a bad idea? Yes, but only because WMMA sucks and we don't need more of it, but aside from that it only benefits everyone. More titles= more champions = more entertainment = more title fights = more money = etc. = fucking everything = profit.

Ranked fighters in both weight classes that would be a good suit in 165:

Tony
Khabib
Lee
RDA
Diaz
Masvidal
Askren
Pettis
Cerrone
Vick
Poirier (?)

And these are only the ranked ones, there are multiple of unranked good fighters that go under the radar and are having a tough ass time getting through the crowd of popular fighters.
I'm not saying we should have a weight class every 5 pounds like it's the case in boxing, that being said i don't think moving welterweight limit to 175 would be a problem.

RDA would love it.

Because it’s a horrible idea when the talent pool isn’t there.

The UFC should just use the same weight classes ONE FC uses

Nobody should give a fuck about the weight classes but the fighters and fights. I don't care what weight limit certain fighters compete at. I want to see the best versions of them and making another weight class would comfort many.. Nobody forces anybody to change the weight class, but if many of them do want it then probably they know what they're talking about? Actually the fighters who cut weight and go through the fight camp, unlike the red goof.Also, i can't imagine that being bad for the business overall. Beginnings are always tough. I'm a conservative guy that likes to keep it oldschool but i see almost no flaws in this idea.
Every bigger LW and smaller WW would be satisfied.

Because
clown-dana.jpg

It would be the best division ever, 155 and 170 are so stacked they are a logjam right now

Imagine a division where all those fighter would be at optimal weight : RDA, Kevin Lee, Stephen Thompson, Jorge Masvidal, Cowboy Cerrone, Covington, Pettis, Nate Diaz, Gunnar Nelson, Mike Perry, James Vick, Paul Felder, Alex Oliveira, Ben Askren and so much more

Khabib and Tony would probably join at some point too. Plus it would allow the bigger FW's to finally be able to move up to 155, like Max, Aldo, Zabit, Stephens

Would be dope. And would give us more title fights.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because it’s a horrible idea when the talent pool isn’t there.
btw. where is the talent pool in women's weight classes? Dana created flyweight literally to make someone at least a bit interested in the ultimate fighter and created the featherweight solely for Cyborg. Seems much more dumb than creating 165 for like 10-15 RANKED fighters that actually appreciate the idea?

///

So far not a single good argument against the idea, as i expected.
There are multiple fighters who talked highly about the idea, not once but many times. Pink Goof knows better, obviously.

Could find more.

We should stop bringing this up. We are making this sport better, yet he is the one who is blocking progress and at the end he is the one reaping the money.

No need

Too many weight classes as it is.

If anything there should be a restructuring of weight classes n increase them by 10% instead of 10 lbs.

Merge 125 n 135 N create 130

From there it becomes

Now since most hw are either 240 or over 265 remove 253 weight class N have all smaller hw compete at 230 n bigger hw at 278

No need

If anything there should be a restructuring of weight classes n increase them by 10% instead of 10 lbs.

From there it becomes

Now since most hw are either 240 or over 265 remove 253 weight class N have all smaller hw compete at 230 n bigger hw at 278

Are you kidding me? 4 weights above 205? Horrible idea overall, the worst one that i've heard to this day.
UFC is lacking new HWs and LHWs, and you just want to give them another weight classes?
Butwhy.gif?

Are you kidding me? 4 weights above 205? Horrible idea overall, the worst one that i've heard to this day.
UFC is lacking new HWs and LHWs, and you just want to give them another weight classes?
Butwhy.gif?

Makes more sense than having 7 weight classes under 200 separated by 10 lbs.

Like I said for now maybe 253 wouldn’t be included right away as most hw are either around 240 or over 265.

So those that are around 240 will go to 230 n those over 265 will go to 278. This will also help bring in big 300 lbs + guys (big football players, tall basketball players or powerlifters) who would be too big for 265.

Exactly. We have two nice divisions. Why do you want to weaken them?
It's a long term investment. Plus how much longer do you think Kevin Lee, Khabib and maybe even Tony can make those weight cuts.

Plus you will get to see slightly bigger WW, maybe Kelvin can finally make WW.

Makes more sense than having 7 weight classes under 200 separated by 10 lbs.

Like I said for now maybe 253 wouldn’t be included right away as most hw are either around 240 or over 265.

So those that are around 240 will go to 230 n those over 265 will go to 278. This will also help bring in big 300 lbs + guys (big football players, tall basketball players or powerlifters) who would be too big for 265.
The smaller you are, the more weight matters, so there should be lots of weight classes.

No need

From there it becomes

All fighters should need to pass hydration tests during fight week and before weighing in. That would make those weights feasible. My weights would look more like this:

140- bw
150- fw
160- lw
175- ww
190- mw
210- lhw
235- cw
290- hw

The worst part is when someone asks Dana and he brushes it off saying all the 170 guya will go down there they don't come back with the response that 170 will be 175 and all those divisions will be seperated by 10lbs instead of huge jumps of 15lbs. Makes you wonder what kind of monkeys are making decisions at UFC, also a side note why is it taking so long to roll out the anti-eyepoke style gloves lol

Nearly every guy who makes 170, including the huge guys, can make 165 as well.
Guys like Woodley, Colby, Usman, and Wonderboy can make 165.

It won’t be a haven for big LW. Which is what many of you think it will be.

Back