40 years ago today

Never even heard of him. Youtube time

Oh man I love this guy's music. All those singer/songwriters from the early 70s (Cat Stevens, Harry Chapin, Gordon Lightfoot, America etc), and this guy.

Operator and Time In A Bottle are my favorite.

Time In A Bottle is just one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard. I can't even listen to it a lot because it's so sad. But, truely one of the most amazing songs I've ever heard in my life. The contrast of the verse (sad, minor chord, Dm I think) and the change (in D I think) is so UP and positive and hopeful. Then back to the minor chord (sad).

Very bittersweet song for me.

The guy (like Cat Stevens) just had this amazing voice. Amazing. And an "old soul" type of feel. (Like a guy that young shouldn't have this old-soulful a voice yet).

RIP Jim.

oh my god, this fucking "kissmmee" add will be the death of me. :icon_lol:

Yep, he's a big part of my earliest childhood memories.

Has anyone else noticed that mediocre, bland musicians never die in plane crashes(lone exception, RIck Nelson) but irreplaceable ones do all the time?

I remember it well. Reminded me of 1957, when Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Richie Valens died in a plane crash. Another "Day the Music Died".

As a kid I can remember TV commercials advertising his greatest hits on LP, cassette tape or 8-track.

I still have my Croce LPs. Gonna break them out later today now. Thanks Wrath..

My mom used to rock Jim Croce, John Denver, John Lennon, Carpenters etc. I'd be in the back of her Camaro bangin' my head like it was Slayer.....70s easy listening was amazing.

....until that fateful day when our new babysitter played my and older brother the Damned.....then the Clash, and Wire. it was punk, new wave and metal time for decades.

Back