Economy 40% of Americans don't have $500 for emergencies

"Was slavery really the problem? Or was the problem that the African Negroes should have run faster?"

<mma4>

"As long as I can create a hypothetical scenario in which the alleged victim of a system could have avoided victimization I have proven that it's no fault of the system." - The Usual Gang of Shergoof's
We're victims of the system, maaaan! You realize "create a hypothetical scenario" is literally the thread topic and 40% people didn't actually have the imaginary $500 emergency they couldn't cover, right?
<27>

What "system" are you even talking about? As someone else pointed out, 81% of Americans have a smart phone worth more than the cost of this hypothetical emergency. They also all have netflix, an ipad, hulu, amazon prime, have cars. The number of luxuries most people have is astounding.

Christ, just skip a few months of just your entertainment subscriptions and boom, there's your $400.

Last edited:
You don't need a new iPhone

You can buy a used car

You can't cut the cord.

But they have $1000 smart phones.

Last gen Smartphones bough on finance,
Compulsive consuming of:
Brand items,
Online services,

skip/reduce that for 6 months and boom at least 500 bucks extra in your account.

40%?

Well, obviously a small percentage of that is from scraping by. The larger percentage is people being stupid with their money.

I’m for a lot of social programs.

but there are so many ignorant fucktards out there. I can’t fathom how in the fuck you cant have $500 saved up.

ignorant stupidity should not be rewarded. These people are either dumb, or made horrible life decisions.

the only people I feel for are the medical poor. It’s awful and almost criminal. Something needs to change there.
I always like this dude's posts.. glad he's rid of the dubs.. PS.. that halftime show was so so bad. in so so many ways.

Christ, just skip a few months of just your entertainment subscriptions and boom, there's your $400.

I like how the $500 is now some ideal goal that's going to cover all emergency situations. They used a ridiculously low number to illustrate how stark the situation is.

The average working American should have several thousand on hand for "emergencies". Couple that with a single-payer healthcare system that's free at the point of service, ruling out all medical-related emergencies, and we might have at least the beginning of widespread financial security in this country.

The average working American should have several thousand on hand for "emergencies".

The average American would, if they knew how to handle their money and plan for the future. "Disposable income" is one of the worst terms ever invented.

Not to mention high levels of debt over things like cars, clothes, booze n tattoos.

As an adult, I was always taken aback by how others were so behind on their bills, yet would keep putting themselves even further behind "keeping up with the Joneses".

They could never make enough money.

One piece of advice my dad gave me growing up, and he said it a lot, that money is like leverage. He also clued me in on things like investment, that some things will "pay themselves off" at a certain point. That a goal should be self-employment.

I like having a manageable level of debt, and things that are paid for. My money lasts me longer than it would, if I spent it on frivolous things. That is a great feeling.

I like how the $500 is now some ideal goal that's going to cover all emergency situations. They used a ridiculously low number to illustrate how stark the situation is.

The average working American should have several thousand on hand for "emergencies". Couple that with a single-payer healthcare system that's free at the point of service, ruling out all medical-related emergencies, and we might have at least the beginning of widespread financial security in this country.
We do have widespread financial security. There is only 12% that couldn't come up with the $500, meaning 88% could. That's pretty widespread, and we have shitload more absolute dead weight irresponsibly bums than that.

Let's just say hypothetically that we could straight up give everyone who doesn't have "several thousand dollars on hand for emergencies" that money. Just write them a check. Would they actually save it for an emergency, or they buy goddamn speakers and get a tattoo that fucking afternoon, which is why they don't have it now to begin with?

How many people in Cuba or Venezuela could come with $500 for an emergency? California is a 1 party left wing state with the most people living below poverty and the most homeless people. Why have all these brilliant solutions only made things worse in these places? Because all it does is raise prices on everything and make normal living less affordable in addition to people keeping less of their own money to spend.

I feel bad for those who struggle with medical bills and such.

On the flip side i have no sympathy for those living paycheck to paycheck but spend 1000$ on a new iphone.

More taxes are the solution.

but there are so many ignorant fucktards out there. I can’t fathom how in the fuck you cant have $500 saved up.
About 10 years ago, I had the most spectacular run of bad luck you could possibly have without being terminally ill. My roof started to leak, my furnace broke down, my car died, a mixup at the bank caused us to miss two credit card payments (which was mostly my fault but still) .... Almost all that shit happened in a months time. I was in debt for a long time over that shit.

Shit happens to people. Feel fortunate you've never been in that situation.

80% of people have a 500$+ phone in their pocket. Most people are dumb asses

You don't think that this is, in part, because smart phones have become an entry level professional necessity, they have a 'meh' lifespan, are stupidly fragile, and a lot of companies massively overprice them?

Thank goodness for China.

You don't think that this is, in part, because smart phones have become an entry level professional necessity, they have a 'meh' lifespan, are stupidly fragile, and a lot of companies massively overprice them?

Thank goodness for China.

No. I think it's because you know that the pitiful amount you can save will never get you anywhere. And that you, who can barely read or write, have no hope of anything but an entry level job. So you just piss away what you have. Because who cares. You'll always have more bills than you can pay. And you'll never be financially free. So fuck it. Might as well enjoy the now.

Back