News 4 Years after ONE FC’s Weight Cutting Death, UFC Still Doesn’t Hydration Test

Should Hydration Testing Be Implemented?

• Total voters
I wrestled in high school, there were restrictions on how much you were allowed to cut

My state also did hydration testing at the beginning of the season. Not sure if it works the same but basically before the season started we pissed in a cup and they weighed us and if the pee was considered hydrated or whatever then they based the weight class off of what you weighed down to some %. Always wondered what the workarounds were doing this

It should be implemented...

Fighters cutting down only puts them at risk for more brain damage.

Also, One FC has no weight cutting but you also don't get to see your opponent weight in iirc

An article below from almost 3 years ago details an incident that occurred in December of 2015, which lead to the implementation of hydration testing at ONE FC. At the very least, some hydration testing?

please show me an actual source that categorically proves

+ ONE are doing hydration testing

Please also show me

+ Weigh in results for a recent card

Its all bullshit. ONE arent doing fuck all.

This is a recent fight in ONE FC at 135lb

Colbey-Northcutt-VS-Putri-Padmi-at-ONE-EDGE-OF-GREATNESS-DUX-6450.jpg

The girl on the left cut weight. She cuts from about 155lb walk around (she has previously cut to 145)

The girl on the right was not allowed to cut weight. She normally competes at 115, and walks around at about 134

The ONE weight cutting claims are complete and utter horseshit.

UFC has a lot of catching up to do. ONE is a much better organization at this point.

lol

source that proves ONE actually do hydration testing on ALL fighters

Source of ANY results from ONE FC Weigh ins..

Tbh I don't trust One's claims all that much, sage nortchutt's sister had a fight some months ago and her opponent looked half her size.

Tbh I don't trust One's claims all that much, sage nortchutt's sister had a fight some months ago and her opponent looked half her size.
there was 2-3 weight classes between them

Her opponent fights at strawweight (and could probably make atomweight if she dieted properly). Colbey cuts from about 150-155lb

ONE had a fighter (Martin Nguyen) fight for the title in 3 different weight classes in like 6 months. That means their weight cutting policy is complete arbitrary bs when it comes to enforcement.
That's not necessarily true at all. There are healthy ways to lose weight without dehydrating the body. Hell, there are unhealthy ways to lose weight without dehydrating the body too. ONE isn't claiming to stop people from losing weight, they are stopping (or at least heavily cutting down on) the extreme dehydration of the body in the hours before the weigh-in. Losing 20 pounds in 6 months without dehydrating the shit out of yourself is very possible.

ONE basically moved their guys a division up and i guess they cut the absolute minimum to make weight and still pass their tests, how does thar works with LHW's? Most HW's dont cut weight to make the limit, LHW's do, how would that work in the UFC? Im not sure if ONE has the heavier divisions, i think Sage is about the heaviest i have seen there.

I think they should get rid of a lot of these weight classes and do it like they did back in the day. Also for heavyweight why the hell should there be a weight limit anyway? Tubbies produce the funnest fights. Scott Ferrozo, alexandru lungu, Andre Roberts, Ron waterman ...the list goes on

I wrestled in high school, there were restrictions on how much you were allowed to cut

A couple buddies of mine wrestled in college and they would cheat the hydration tests. They'd tape an eyedropper bottle full of distilled water to the underside of their dick to dilute their urine during hydration tests. As they pissed they'd just squeeze the bottle of water out at the same time.

The more you read about ONE the shadier the whole organisation seems.
If they tried to pull the shenanigans they are suspected of in the US they'd probably get caught very quickly.
The East Asian loose regulatory environment and the cultural lean towards getting on with it and not snitching would seem to be allowing them to get away with these shenanigans though.

A couple buddies of mine wrestled in college and they would cheat the hydration tests. They'd tape an eyedropper bottle full of distilled water to the underside of their dick to dilute their urine during hydration tests. As they pissed they'd just squeeze the bottle of water out at the same time.
I wrestled in high school and can tell you first hand that most of the team cheated the hydration tests.

MMA has been around for decades and only 1 person has died.

Doesn't seem like that big of an issue.

UFC can be more selective who they sign. Cuts unpredictable risky fighters like Palhares who was decent and a draw. Rumble was forced up much like other fighters who can’t cut. One brings in some newer prospects with less training experience. Most fighters bodies give into hydration and eating before they die. Trainers monitor. UFC and their insurers know risks and they monitor to reduce severe harm to their cash flow. UFC would follow if a bad incident but none so far.

Back