1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

News 4 Years after ONE FC’s Weight Cutting Death, UFC Still Doesn’t Hydration Test

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Zebra Cheeks, Jan 15, 2020.

?

Should Hydration Testing Be Implemented?

1. Yes

73.8%
  2. No

13.1%
  3. Who gives a Zebras Ass?

13.1%
  1. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

An article below from almost 3 years ago details an incident that occurred in December of 2015, which lead to the implementation of hydration testing at ONE FC.

“Earlier in December, 21-year-old Chinese prospect Yang Jian Bing passed away as he was cutting weight for ONE Championship's 35th event. Less than two weeks later, the Singapore-based promotion has decided to completely revamp their weigh-in system.

Their new systems hopes to curb dehydration and all the complications related to that process, and make fighters compete at their walking around weight. Fighters in the promotion will have daily weight checks throughout fight week, and will be tested up to three hours prior to the event.”

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12...ighter-one-fc-unveils-new-weigh-in-program-to

As many of you may recall, Max Holloway has some serious complications a year or so back, in which it’s believed he had “stroke like symptoms” as a result of his weight cutting leading to UFC 226.

So my question is why the hell hasn’t the UFC doing anything? What’s it going to take before they change the rules? It’s bad enough fighters can’t have IV anymore to help rehydrate, but when there’s documented, well known scenarios where fighters are putting themself in harms way, can we really justify not doing something about it? At the very least, some hydration testing?

2. Sweater of AV Gold Belt

UFC has a lot of catching up to do. ONE is a much better organization at this point.

3. Schaub @PureSpectrumCBD use promo code “Schaub” 20% off

Only a matter of time before it results in a death of a UFC fighter. One champ had a stroke, another had a seizure. Being subjected to repeated brain trauma following a stroke or seizure is a disaster waiting to happen.

4. DarkneT Khamzat sucks Platinum Member

Far too much work

it’s easy when you’re doing 5 events a year

5. histrionics Banned Banned

Corrupt ass ONE don't even enforce their own system

Martin Nguyen went from 155 to 145, then down to 135 in the span of like two years

Also, have you seen the size of the dudes that DJ's been fighting? No fucking way are any of them close to 135 on fight night

6. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

So that’s gonna be the answer when a young, healthy, successful individual dies over weight cutting. “Did you think about hydration testing”....”well....we THOUGHT about it. But do you realize how much effort that is?”

7. DarkneT Khamzat sucks Platinum Member

That’s exactly what I would say.

8. GordaoPreguico Red Belt

This just in after 20 years the ufc has never had a death due to weight cut.

9. Frank McEdgar =====(SHERDOG)=====

I'm not sure how possible that may be for the UFC.

But getting a dehydrated brain rattled and banged around is a guaranteed disaster later on in life if not immediately. The body re-hydrates pretty fast but the brain takes 2-3 days to fully re-hydrate

So I'm all for it.

10. ifindgifsforjackslack Purple Belt

Some of their big champs right now rely on the weight cutting aspect of the game. I’m thinking jones, Maybe khabib and adesanya too.

They won’t remove weight cutting or add new weight classes until someone dies or it really opens up a new avenue for money making. Sad part is, ufc is such a juggernaut at this point, an undercard fighter dying wouldn’t need be enough to stop weight cutting, unless the sanctioning bodies got involved.

11. Dreyga2000 VOTE DREYGA FOR POSTER OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!

Is it really that big of a deal? I mean wrestlers in High School cut weight. Shouldn’t professionals be able to handle it?

12. DeathStroke Purple Belt

This. Theres a reason one keeps all weigh in and hydration results private.

13. 7 others Green Belt

Probably needs someone to die first

14. Schoolboy Q Gold Belt

Lol even with this “hydration test” fighters still have a big size advantage in one.
    [​IMG]

15. Bluntforce420 Black Belt

I wrestled in high school, there were restrictions on how much you were allowed to cut

16. Phisher Gold Belt

ONE is pretty shady and has much worse transparency issues than the UFC.

The article that TS posted is four years old. Try to find any more current write ups detailing their weigh in process. All of the available info is anecdotal. There's almost nothing to report because ONE's weigh ins are done in secret, and they don't release results of hydration testing.

Also, their viewership numbers are clearly fabricated, and WADA called them out for lying about implementing a drug testing program (ONE doesn't have one).

https://www.mmanews.com/wada-brutally-shoots-down-ones-claims-of-drug-testing-partnership/

That said. There have been far worse MMA orgs, and I'm glad that they exist so that UFC exiles like DJ, Alvarez and Lineker can get decent pay before the VC money runs out.

17. KeepItRealist Gold Belt

ONE had a fighter (Martin Nguyen) fight for the title in 3 different weight classes in like 6 months. That means their weight cutting policy is complete arbitrary bs when it comes to enforcement.

18. Arrrrgh Black Belt

There are so many questions like this around the sport.

Questions that fall into the category, "its clearly better so why don't we do it?"

Weight cutting, judging, refs, endorsements, etc...
    Sadly I think the answer to all of those questions falls into one of 2 categories: money or politics. And the latter falls into the first. Money.

19. TheOldMan Black Belt

All of this, which is more important, but to add the damage that would be done to the sport and each organization.
    I totally agree that it's only a matter of time before it happens. And while I hope it never does can you imagine if it were on a live ppv? The fallout would be staggering depending upon how it goes down.

They've needed this test for a long time.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  20. Twixt Orange Belt

max says he was poisoned