1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

4 time state champion vs ?????

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by migsk8, Oct 12, 2010.

1. mayhem87 White Belt

use the gi grips to your advantage. i know myself coming from wrestling to bjj i hated the gi like nothing else. He will not be used to being slowed down by people grabbing the gi and able to hang on to him.

2. KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

This. He might struggle a little bit in the beginning, but be prepared to eat some humble pie. He's got loads of experience on the mat, that will translate very very well to BJJ. Once he learns some submission defense, you guys are toast.

3. roberob89 White Belt

Dude, hate for this to be my first post ever...but you're going to get owned in the take down department. And I also Have to call BS about the whole blue belt level thing and being able to "submit" all the blues at your school. You train at New World Academy don't you? I personally now several "blues" that train there...they are beasts and I have a hard time believing you would even come close to submitting...

You should just embrace someone of that caliber training at your academy, instead of going on internet forums talking smack...

4. migsk8 White Belt

yeah i hate for that to be your first post too, i see all these guys day in and day out. and you OBVIOUSLY don't know what you're talking about.

p.s. roberob89, messege me your real name, im gonna ask my blues who you are cuz odds are you very well could be lying to look cool on the internet, just sayin haha

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  5. Doh! Orange Belt

If you can really submit all the blue belts in your academy after 1 year of "garage training" (this is so ridiculous it's laughable) and 5 months of actual training than your instructor/academy sucks. I would go somewhere else ASAP.

Or you're lying.

Oh, and if your wrestler buddy isn't able to beat your ass on day 1 (I would be surprised if this is the case), give him 2-3 months of training and he will. We had a blue belt who wasn't even as good a wrestler as the guy you are talking about beating purple and brown belts in competition after less than a year of BJJ. High level collegiate wrestlers do not stroll into most jiu-jitsu gyms. Most "wrestlers" that come in were so-so high school wrestlers and that is VERY far removed from a D-1 athlete.

6. fourfif** Banned Banned

lol, "I'm basically an almost blue, 4stripe white gate keeper

This kid is going to eat your lunch

keep that 4 stripe white belt handy bc your gonna wanna hang yourself after homie rapes you.

7. Auspex Brown Belt

I come from a fairly wrestling-centric BJJ school. Well, to clarify, it's an MMA facility owned by PAC-10 wrestling champs.(one of them is in my sig/BJJ instructor is fairly well known and an absolute stud) We have collegiate wrestlers coming in all the time and I absolutely love the intensity they bring.

I think it's great experience to roll with someone with such a different game that completely puts you out of your element. It's strictly nogi, so there's no belting, but I would assume most of these lads would move up the ranks much faster than norm as they have awesome instincts for BJJ

8. killakoy Purple Belt

lol... internetz just got real.

9. roberob89 White Belt

No need to try and look cool on the interwebs...No need to PM you, my real name is Rob and you can ask your instructor Mike about me (one of his blue belts). I know Mike, Rod and alot of the guys who train there. Was training there up until recently, then I moved. Matter of fact I have even rolled with you a few times and can't remember you ever submitting me. Not trying to start a pissing contest or anything, I'm just "sayin".

10. KahleyTriangles Blue Belt

BRB, getting popcorn.

11. Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

[​IMG]

12. fourfif** Banned Banned

[​IMG]

You're not. Who comes on to a public forum talking loud and bragging about what happens in their gym??? BAD ETIQUETTE.

:icon_neut

And hating on people who are more accomplished athletes who would most likely curb stomp him in a scrap, 4 stripes and all, without a day's worth of teh bjj training.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
  13. roberob89 White Belt

Just for the record I'm not trying to be a dick on sherdog, but I have met Andrew before and the guy comes across as a totally humble class act. You should be trying to encourage him to train Jiu jitsu instead of trying to bash him on the internet. You might just learn something from him, the kid has been wrestling since he was very young. It won't take long until he's tooling you in jiu jitsu.

14. bjj wrestler White Belt

Ur buddy is extremely talented at wrestling. I have watched David Taylor my whole life in kids wrestling at the big tournaments like Cliff King and Tulsa Nationals etc and he has always been top 5 in the nation. When David Taylor graduated he was I believe the #1 recruit in the nation. David Taylor's senior year he wrestled my teamate at the Oklahoma vs National Dual Team. My teamate was a dominant 3x state champ in class 5A at Oklahoma who lost 1 time his sophomore year, and 0 times his jr/sr year. David Taylor techfalled him 15-0, if you don't know what a techfall is, think of it as a run rule in baseball or football. ANyway point being although David Taylor did beat ur friend, I am EXTREMELY impressed by how close your teamate was to taking David Taylor down and getting in on his legs. Ur buddy is extremely good and will probably learn bjj at light speed. That being said, he will be GREAT for you and you will be great for him. You teach him bjj while he teaches you wrestling/conditioning/weight pulling techniques etc. You are lucky to have him as a friend/teammate.

15. Ryo Black Belt

shit just got real :D

16. Davii Blue Belt

A wrestler of that caliber will give you a hard time. They have grappled at a HIGH level for their age for at least 4 years... You're rolling around in a gym with part time hobbyists 2-3 times a night.

Big difference.

17. jrock89 Orange Belt

A friend of mine wrestled all of high school and wrestled for 2 years at a D1 school. Did BJJ for like 8 months. Won NAGA absolute and advanced divisions every time with nogi. Won the Pan-Am Championship at New York recently. When I was 8 months in BJJ, I was getting just getting the hang of everything. Tells you how much wrestling helps doesn't it. Don't hate on this kids accomplishments. I'd suggest you start working your take downs with him.

18. knoxpk Black Belt

Damn with friends like you, who needs enemies. You are basically telling us here that this kid is a friend of yours, wants to come to class with you so he feels comfortable, he has serious HS wrestling credentials, can be an asset to your club but you are looking for ways to beat him on his 1st day and furthermore critiquing his his wrestling online?

Some friend?

If anything you should give him a basic run down of what BJJ is about tell him to go in there with an open mind and learn and maybe even show him some basics concerning posture and what to look out for. He will have a far better time, the club might gain a tough training partner which will help everyone at the club and maybe he will be nice enough to stick around and teach takedowns, escapes and reversals to you guys.

19. migsk8 White Belt

i should really rephrase this already, blue belts around my weight, and rob i know you remember this.

20. migsk8 White Belt

did i mention i have known this kid since 7th grade and now i go to school with him and see him everyday ? just saying

either way im not gonna sit here and try to argue with someone over the internet, if you're interested on how things turn out for him thursday pm me or something

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010