4.5 weeks left

Don'tkillbill

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm 4 1/2 weeks away from my black belt test. At 41 fighting 15 rounds with about 20 seconds rest between is not something I look forward too but I am excited. Its Kyokushin full contact with no pads so it'll be a few days with ice packs.

So I've just come off the worst flu ever!!!! Took a whole 8 days off of training and started training a taking a rest day more often. I'm almost back in shape 90 percent. I see that I'll have my wind back shortly after a few weeks of sparring and running.

I want something to put me over the top for next 3 weeks. Any suggestions out there?

How long are the rounds? I'd do something that simulates the test but add some sort of "sprint/punchout" at the end of each round. If you can get through that, then you should be ok. I would only do that about once a week until your test. Look at it as a practice test.

Until then, mix up LSD (long runs/jobs) and anaerobic (sprints/burpees). I don't think it'd hurt to do a muscle endurance circuit in there as well.

The rounds are only 1 minute. I was watching video and it averages 20 seconds between rounds. I like your idea I'm working on 5-3min rounds on punch mitts or Muay thai pads so if at the last 30 seconds I punch out it might be my edge!

Also work speed bag for 5-3 minute rounds and yep skip for about same.

I did stadium stairs and sprints today but my old body can only handle that workout once a week:)

I want everyone to think I'm starting out too fast, you can't keep that up for 15 rounds..

The last two rounds are against my sensei and his sensei so they like to a lay a beating on so I will try and be light on my feet.

You should get the Bas Rutten workout CDs and do them both with with a partner and on a heavybag.

Are you gonna be facing a fresh guy every minute?

There isn't too much you can do in 3 weeks that will make a huge difference unless you are already in good shape. Most of it is gonna be mental, start meditating and focusing on the test, visulaize yourself making it through.

If you have some buddies in your school you could get 2 or 3 of them to start helping you simulate the test. That would be your best option imo.

Fresh guys every round. Yep I'm in better shape than all but a handfull of genetic freaks atleast in my school and gym. Thats just lots of running and sparring. Your right its mental and thats the point of the test. Make you want to quit by the 7th round, make you suck it up whilst you get beaten harshly :) I'm sparring twice a week 2-3 minute rounds. Oh well you don't know pain until your married a few leg kicks won't hurt that bad.

I ran stairs and did sprints yesterday.

I'll check out Ross's website its been awhile.

I would definitely try to simulate the test a couple of times before the actual test, though.

Just get 2 or 3 guys and have them rotate on you every minute.

Let us know how it goes.

Did 45 minutes of sparring Wednesday with minimul rest. It was long. Sprained my toe on the left leg round 4. That sucked but hey its all good. Anyway I felt proper I have most of my spring back in my step or should I say limp. Hopefully I'll get one long run in Friday and do intervals on Sunday with a bit of Plyo.

Back