$3k home gym

Good advice but also have to ask what your time is worth to keep hunting for a deal, especially when the competition among buyers is so high right now. I already own my ironmasters as well as a set of powerblocks and am super happy with the quality of both.
I've been buying and trading equipment since 1996 when parents bought a bench set in middle school. Been through the cheap sand 1 inch plates, to pulley & plate home gyms, to Bowflex (huge mistake, right back to iron weights) to Marcy racks, to big boy racks and free weights/Kettlebells/slam balls/PVC bars/outside pull up stations. Hobby didn't seem to lose interest so I built the gym inside the house. So long story, short answer : 24 years hunting for deals and still excited to find them

My question is why would anyone need a rack of dumbells going from 5~75lbs?
Unless you have a commune or live with 4 wives like the mormons do.
Drop sets. Or just needing different weights for 200 different exercises

My question is why would anyone need a rack of dumbells going from 5~75lbs?
Unless you have a commune or live with 4 wives like the mormons do.
I warm up for lateral raises at 10lbs (max is like 30lb if I'm in shape). I know that's pathetic for some people but that's what I like to use light weight for personally.

I also like having the light weights in case my son, a woman, or some other person were to ever train in the home gym (maybe I'll eventually get a couple clients for side business, I was certified by ISSA years ago).

Btw, I guara-fuckin-tee that right now I could sell those ironmasters or powerblocks for a decent chunk more than I paid. Huge market for it in Orange County.

I warm up for lateral raises at 10lbs (max is like 30lb if I'm in shape). I know that's pathetic for some people but that's what I like to use light weight for personally.

I also like having the light weights in case my son, a woman, or some other person were to ever train in the home gym (maybe I'll eventually get a couple clients for side business, I was certified by ISSA years ago).
Best thing about home gym, you don't have to explain your choice of weight to judgement remarks.
If it be aggravated muscle, fatigue, burnouts, time under tension slow reps. Start doing dumbell curls with 50s and someone always walks in when you're on fire doing the 10s.

Best thing about home gym, you don't have to explain your choice of weight to judgement remarks.
If it be aggravated muscle, fatigue, burnouts, time under tension slow reps. Start doing dumbell curls with 50s and someone always walks in when you're on fire doing the 10s.
Yep, I don't care too much about how much weight I push now that I'm older or whether someone is going to think I'm a pussy for not lifting enough. Plus, I like the privacy of a home setup. I can grunt, scream, and flex in the mirror with my shirt off and not feel embarrassed.

Show me where you can get a full dumbbell set for under $1100 that go up to 165lbs. These take up little space and are the best quality adjustable dumbbells on the market.

https://www.ironmaster.com/products/add-on-kit-to-120-lbs-quick-lock-original/

https://www.ironmaster.com/products/165-lb-add-on-kit-custom/

This is what I see when I google. What great deals am I missing?

5-50lbs- $1,675
View attachment 799494

5-50lbs- $1,495
View attachment 799495

5-75lbs- $2,795
View attachment 799496

I don't know what site that is I linked above but I'm sure you won't get robbed lol. Amazon must have multiple options. Or apparently Dicks Sporting Goods sells an olympic sized loadable DB. Or you can literally go with the most expensive and high quality option:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-...MI0eCDjcfz6wIViuKzCh3asgirEAQYAiABEgIrZPD_BwE

^ and it's going to run you 270 dollars + probably 10-20 dollars max on a pair of collars from Amazon.

So quite literally you can get a pair of DB handles from Rogue for 38.5% of the price of the Ironmaster brick. Obviously going to be higher quality, and the loading on their site says ~100lbs. That seems low to me, but I'm sure you could get away with putting 110-120 on there and not having a problem at all. Probably more.

The main point here is that 700 dollars is very fucking expensive imo, especially for something that is going to limit you to 75 lbs. Also seems like a huge waste of budget to me, especially when you're getting a ton of olympic plates to begin with.

I've been buying and trading equipment since 1996 when parents bought a bench set in middle school. Been through the cheap sand 1 inch plates, to pulley & plate home gyms, to Bowflex (huge mistake, right back to iron weights) to Marcy racks, to big boy racks and free weights/Kettlebells/slam balls/PVC bars/outside pull up stations. Hobby didn't seem to lose interest so I built the gym inside the house. So long story, short answer : 24 years hunting for deals and still excited to find them
I do a little reselling so I know the thrill of the hunt. Getting an insane deal is such a rush. Makes it hard to pay retail on anything.

I don't know what site that is I linked above but I'm sure you won't get robbed lol. Amazon must have multiple options. Or apparently Dicks Sporting Goods sells an olympic sized loadable DB. Or you can literally go with the most expensive and high quality option:

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-...MI0eCDjcfz6wIViuKzCh3asgirEAQYAiABEgIrZPD_BwE

^ and it's going to run you 270 dollars + probably 10-20 dollars max on a pair of collars from Amazon.

So quite literally you can get a pair of DB handles from Rogue for 38.5% of the price of the Ironmaster brick. Obviously going to be higher quality, and the loading on their site says ~100lbs. That seems low to me, but I'm sure you could get away with putting 110-120 on there and not having a problem at all. Probably more.

The main point here is that 700 dollars is very fucking expensive imo, especially for something that is going to limit you to 75 lbs. Also seems like a huge waste of budget to me, especially when you're getting a ton of olympic plates to begin with.
Fair points, but I still stand by the fact that my ironmasters are good quality. I didn't know the rogue option existed back when I was in the market and I researched a fair amount ahead of time. At the time I ordered, the consensus was that powerblock and ironmaster were the 2 best options available.

Having extra olympic plates is a big plus.

Wait 700 bucks doesnt include the extension kit that makes the dumbbells go to 120lbs? Then fuck that.

Name a better option besides the rogue dumbbells.
I've got the titan loadable dumbbell handles.

Bought some lockjaw pro collars and they hold the weights in place nicely. The stock titan collars are pieces of shit. But I've done 130+lbs on these and they handle it fine. The ironmaster ones are superior in design and usability but in a pinch the titan ones are good. I can use that 700 on a GHD and reverse hyper combo.

Last edited:
Wasn't until taking a trip to Academy and Dicks did I notice how out of stock all the home equipment was. Online too, just delivery will be delayed options. Fitness company stock must be topping out.
Good thing about weights is they don't go out of style.

What's the best way to go for rubber mats to protect from dropped weights?

Most people use horse stall mats usually from Tractor Supply Co or some type of farming store. Depends what you are trying to build. Flooring for the entire gym? Standard 8x8 platform? 3-piece platform (3-4x8')?

Most people use horse stall mats usually from Tractor Supply Co or some type of farming store. Depends what you are trying to build. Flooring for the entire gym? Standard 8x8 platform? 3-piece platform (3-4x8')?
Thanks. I don't know yet, still looking to move.

Don't waste your money on the foam interlocks. They are terrible for gym and any form of MMA. They come apart, are extremely thin, and get too slippery to stand on barefoot.

I have 1/3 the room of IncStores 3/8 inch rolled rubber floor under cardio machines, 1/3rd of 4x4 horse stall mats from Tractor Supply for heavier weights, and 1/3rd the floor is Dollamur wrestling mats.

Tractor mats seems like an economical choice. Is that what you'd recommend for flooring for an entire gym? Would you just lay that over concrete or do some subflooring underneath? I'm thinking that you'd want to pull them out and hose them off from time to time.

The expensive as fuck light dumbbells are hilarious.
It's obvious that Robocok is easily swayed by shiny, overpriced objects.
Catglog-cover-closeup-e1533331745799.jpg

Show me where you can get a full dumbbell set for under $1100 that go up to 165lbs. These take up little space and are the best quality adjustable dumbbells on the market.
lol, you can buy 24" db handles right now for 50 bucks (even with 'rona inflation).
dumbellbar.gif

That'll hold 200+ lbs of plates for a fraction of the cost of that dorky toy you keep promoting.

Tractor mats seems like an economical choice. Is that what you'd recommend for flooring for an entire gym? Would you just lay that over concrete or do some subflooring underneath? I'm thinking that you'd want to pull them out and hose them off from time to time.
They are good for plated areas. Under the cage, a bar area for where you'll drop bumper plates. They aren't super cheap so it's gonna cost you to floor an entire room.
And they are awkward heavy, not something you'll be taking outside monthly to hose off. The rubber is thick and they don't fold. It's like trying to pick up a 100lb stiff blanket.

Back