3D printers - Any of you guys have them?

Higus

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I use them at work occasionally. I've been thinking about getting one for home. Does anyone have any recommendations on them or have any personal projects they'd like to share?

If you could get it to a cheap enough price point, replacement pieces for board games(been kinda collecting old school type ones, like mousetrap), and battery covers/ replacement parts for kids toys.

Not I, sorry. But I am resolved to own, or at least learn to operate one, within the next ten years or so. I've done a bit of hobby miniature sculpting by hand, and it feels like switching to 3d modelling is the logical next step. Actually it makes sculpting by hand seem like a waste of time, since the skills that requires seem virtually obsolete when you can do it all with pinpoint precision with a computer and 3d printer.

Takes all teh sexiness out of it, but whatever...

People are building houses and designing clothes with them and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

��

The consumer-level printers are not good enough yet IMO. Prints are too small and with limited or no color. I'll wait till they can do this (this was done with a very expensive high-end 3D printer which costs the same as a luxury car):

twinkind3dphotofigurines9-640x426.jpeg

Quality is all over the place between types and brands. These things have actually existed for a very long time but are just now getting to the point where they are viable on the consumer market. We used one about 15 years ago to make prototypes while I was in college. They were pretty rough at that time, so they have advanced quite a bit since then.

We recently used one at my current job to build a working scale model of one of our products. It was excellent and is really useful in design meetings with customers, rather than showing them PowerPoint slides that may or may not show what they are interested in seeing.

You are going to see a ton of businesses pop up around these over the next year or so. 3D printers could be a very disruptive technology IMO. Instead of businesses selling us shitty plastic gizmos made in china, you will go to a website and download a design of whatever you want and print it out on the cheap.

Part of me wants to jump in as an early adopter and try to make a business out of it, but there are so many people already doing it that it could be an uphill battle.

If you do a search Ther was someone that fucked over with a maker bot. All they got was the frame.

Quality is all over the place between types and brands. These things have actually existed for a very long time but are just now getting to the point where they are viable on the consumer market. We used one about 15 years ago to make prototypes while I was in college. They were pretty rough at that time, so they have advanced quite a bit since then.

We recently used one at my current job to build a working scale model of one of our products. It was excellent and is really useful in design meetings with customers, rather than showing them PowerPoint slides that may or may not show what they are interested in seeing.

You are going to see a ton of businesses pop up around these over the next year or so. 3D printers could be a very disruptive technology IMO. Instead of businesses selling us shitty plastic gizmos made in china, you will go to a website and download a design of whatever you want and print it out on the cheap.

Part of me wants to jump in as an early adopter and try to make a business out of it, but there are so many people already doing it that it could be an uphill battle.

Yeah i thought about that.
I see it being a problem especially for small businesses that sell goods like furniture,pottery and show pieces.
Those can be made using 3d printers.

Not I, sorry. But I am resolved to own, or at least learn to operate one, within the next ten years or so. I've done a bit of hobby miniature sculpting by hand, and it feels like switching to 3d modelling is the logical next step. Actually it makes sculpting by hand seem like a waste of time, since the skills that requires seem virtually obsolete when you can do it all with pinpoint precision with a computer and 3d printer.

Takes all teh sexiness out of it, but whatever...

It's kind of sad that all the artistry and skill associated with all that is going to get mowed over by technology 😰

no i dont, but on the subject, in a completly fiction scenario would i be able to print an ak-47 with bullets and everything?, whats up NSA how's it going

no i dont, but on the subject, in a completly fiction scenario would i be able to print an ak-47 with bullets and everything?, whats up NSA how's it going

In a completely fictional scenario? Sure.
In reality, you could probably make a scale model plastic rifle components with scale plastic bullets. If you do a google search, you can see people have been making 3D printed replicas of weapons. There's a bunch of models from the video games like Halo and Destiny online if you look around.

Anyone consider making their own via hardware store parts? Wasn't there one that you could 3D print the parts for to make it? You'd have to have someone 3D print for you first since you don't have one.

There were many times I wished I could 3D print repair/replacement parts.

I saw some stores like maybe UPS Store or Staples were going to have 3D printing in-store. The hard part would be getting a high res 3D scan of replacement parts to 3D print.

If they can 3d print human organs I'm sure they can do almost anything ��

My buddy has one, thing is fuckin DOPE

I plan on buying one around July or August

First 3d car coming out,
http://www.euronews.com/2015/01/15/world-s-first-3d-printed-car-is-born-in-detroit/
According to its creator, it has a life expectancy of at least half a decade: “If you left it outside in the harshest of elements, you’d have probably five to six years of use. If you garage it and you use it like you would use a normal car, then it will last for much longer. And it is fully recyclable. So the good news is, while it’s in its life, if it gets cracked or hurt or other things like that, you can take the components off that are not recyclable and recycle the material, get a credit for the cost of the material, and have a new vehicle,” said Jay Rogers.

The Strati will be available this year at a cost of between 15.000 and 25.000 euros.

i wonder if in the near future say you want to build a small house, then you rent a giant printer and you buy a material "catridge" and you print your whole house, would be pretty neat and practical

Back