What determines the result of a fight when a fighter fails a drug test?

MMA fan93

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Maybe this is a very basic question, but I do see some inconsistencies here.

For eg., I was just going through Gleison Tibau's record, and he submitted Abej Trujillo with an RNC. Post fight, he failed for erythropoietin and the result was changed to a DQ, and is a loss on his record. However, in say for example, Jones vs DC 2, Jones also finished DC, and then failed for Turinabol, but the result was only changed to a NC and not a DQ.

What goes into deciding whether the fight result is overturned, or it is changed to a no contest? Does it depend on the substance as well?

I think it generally depends on the geographical location and the athletic commission involved, actually. My impression is that different athletic commissions have different policies and, making this even more confusing, these policies change over time.

I don't think it's usually about making a 'decision' based on factors of the fight. It's just about what the athletic commission is doing at that time.

I could be wrong on this, though, and am open to being corrected.

Dana-White-Money.jpg

The real life result. A piece of paper does not change the fact that a fighter got his ass beat

The real life result. A piece of paper does not change the fact that a fighter got his ass beat
No, but it does change the fact that a competitor broke the rules of a sporting contest that they had agreed to and therefore should not have been allowed to compete.

I think changing a stoppage win to a DQ loss for drug tests is a Brazilian commission thing.

Back