Fighters with spine issues

pecho26

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I never knew that so many fighters had spine issues,especially neck ones.
I recently read that Jon Fitch was having massive problems with his neck due to bulging discs and radiculopathy,so i read that now he had managed the situation with new supplements and specific exercises.
Rick Story has artificial discs in his neck and entered mma with a screwed up neck.
Travis Lutter as well.
Phillipe Nover,Chris Weidman also have artificial discs in their neck. I wont even go into the one who havethe lumbar backs fused. Tito had at least 5 spine surgeries.
Here is an article on it:
http://vandryhope.org/2019/07/14/sp...andry-on-his-work-with-mma-fighter-jon-fitch/

Me dealing with neck issues after 15 years of boxing and amateur experience i cant imagine boxing anymore with that kind of issue let alone wrestling and doing jiu jitsu.
When you are messed up in early thirties wtf are you gonna do when youre 50es.

Last edited:
Conor.

His cursed anemic spine has had a profound effect on his ability to ever defend a title.

2j2ia69.jpg

Jon Jones. His spine issues have prevented him from moving to HW to see if he is actually the baddest man on the planet.

Yea theres a lot more than people would think

Wrestling and even BJJ is ROUGH on your neck and back even if you try to be safe

Then factor in a actually fighting. Repeated punches, head kicks, or especially getting tko/kod and falling down completely limp causing massive whiplash

Romero has some metal in his neck I heard

I never knew that so many fighters had spine issues,especially neck ones.
I recently read that Jon Fitch was having massive problems with his neck due to bulging discs and radiculopathy,so i read that now he had managed the situation with new supplements and specific exercises.
Rick Story has artificial discs in his neck and entered mma with a screwed up neck.
Travis Lutter as well.
Phillipe Nover,Chris Weidman also have artificial discs in their neck. I wont even go into the one who havethe lumbar backs fused. Tito had at least 5 spine surgeries.
Here is an article on it:
http://vandryhope.org/2019/07/14/sp...andry-on-his-work-with-mma-fighter-jon-fitch/

Me dealing with neck issues after 15 years of boxing and amateur experience i cant imagine boxing anymore with that kind of issue let alone wrestling and doing jiu jitsu.
When you are messed up in early thirties wtf are you gonna do when youre 50es.
I agree. I had a bulging disc in my neck a few years ago and it was the worst misery I've ever been in my life. It was horrible. Fighting in that state is unthinkable to me.

Shane Carwin retired because of back issues

"Right now, I'm doing alright. We gotta get up early. I gotta get up at about 3:30 in the morning to head down there to go have surgery. But, it's T-10 through T-12. It's basically the middle of my back. I've got a disc that's pressing into my spinal cord. They've basically removed all the spinal fluid around the area. The first time something really bad happened, I was doing a seminar, just drilling takedowns and I got taken down. Both my legs froze up and I actually thought I was paralyzed. It lasted 10 to 15 seconds. I wasn't able to move them (my legs) or anything. Finally, I was able to recover after the initial impact to my spinal cord. When I started jumping and stuff, I had a tremendous amount of pain in my legs. What they're gonna do is they're gonna actually drill out the bone in my spine to give my spinal cord some room in there."

https://www.mmamania.com/2011/11/14...jury-update-paralyzed-surgery-ufc-fighter-mma

Tim Sylvia had back issues in his fight against Randy Couture:

Although he may have regretted mentioning about his injury, Sylvia did acknowledge Randy Couture was the better man that evening. “[The pain] was pretty bad, but I think I went in there a little overconfident, thinking ‘all I had to do was hit Randy once’ and it would be over,” humbly stated Sylvia. “I should have pulled out [of the fight] to be honest with you, I really should have. I owed Randy a lot more than that; I owed the UFC a lot more than that. It bothered me a month before the fight and when it got this bad, I should have just pulled out so they could find a replacement or reschedule.”

The “Maine-iac” had surgery at the beginning of the week to alleviate his pain. “Healing up, just had back surgery Monday,” said the former champ. “It went really well. I feel good and I’m actually pain free now. Looking forward to getting released from the doctors and start my rehab.”

https://www.mmaweekly.com/sylvia-has-back-surgery-looking-to-future-2

Dan Miller has a fused spine

Following spinal fusion surgery, Dan Miller looking to return to the Octagon in late summer or fall

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/4/...n-miller-looking-to-return-to-the-octagon-ufc

Tito Ortiz has a fused spine and he's complained about back injuries for as long as I can remember.

Ask the Fight Doc: Should Tito Ortiz compete again after spinal-fusion surgery?

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2010...tiz-compete-again-after-spinal-fusion-surgery

Frank Shamrock has a messed up spine.

Bas Rutten has a messed up neck.

Look up wrestlers. MMA fighters with a wrestle heavy fight stile. . . . .Fucking fucked up necks and backs since the 1st Olympics. Every great striking wrestler that was once great at wrestling with good hand became a brawler that couldn't check a leg kick...

They had bad backs.

Rampage, Fedor and countless others that could've "Easily won that fight with a takedown"....
Pretty much the reason for most. A great example is Tito Ortiz, who I should say drove me away from MMA when he was a champion because of how well he could "kill a fight" with a take down and make dynamic strikers ineffective ... Could've won big fights that he didn't because he was unable to take an opponent down. He would have and should have beaten the breaks off of Liddel in all of their fights. But they all took place on the feet. Not even an attemptt to get the fight down.

Fuck backs

If i'm not mistaken Mikey Burnett got his neck broken sparring with Randy Couture and then re-jacked it while acting the fool and running through a wall during the TUF comeback season (4).

I knew a guy who fought in the WEC and UFC and he was having back and spinal surgery before his career even started getting going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back