re-watching some fights in prep for 240. recommendations?

fortheo

Plutonium Belt
@plutonium
Reaction score
I'm looking for guys that Edgar has faced somewhat similar to Max. These are the fights I'm re-watching right now:

• Max vs. Do bronx
  • Max vs. Yair
Both guys are above average strikers with a similar frame to Max, so it's interesting to see how Frankie deals with the size difference. Obviously neither of those guys are as good as max, so you can only take so much from these fights.

Fights where max faced Guys that are somewhat similar to Edgar:

• Max vs. Bermudez
  • Max vs. Lamas
I think Bermudez is the closest thing Max has faced to a wrestle boxer like Edgar, although again, Bermudez isn't as good as Edgar and Max was still developing back then, so we can't take too much from this fight. Lamas isn't really like Edgar—but they are similar in that they'll both consistently look for takedowns.

Any other fights you think are good to watch in prep for 240? Max's takedown defense seems to largely be based off of fighting hands immediately, spreading his base, a solid whizzer, and threatining guilotines. Faber is kind of similar in that regard, but much, much shorter than max, so that fight doesn't seem that useful to study.

I'm also looking for some good Niko price, Arman Tsarukyan, and alexander pantoja fights to watch.

Edgar vs Maynard all three, not similar to Max however straight up wars

Just finished Max vs. Bermudez

Interesting take aways:
  • Bermudez got him down 4 times, several times with a high crotch, which edgar is very good at. Off of his back max looked below average, but again this was a long time ago.
  • Max looked TIRED in round 3. He didn't seem to like constant pressure. I've never seen max look that tired before.
  • Very close fight, max's striking was there as always and it could have gone either way, but the pressure from bermudez seems to be what made the judges give him the nod.
  • Bermudez was having a hard time finding Max's head, but he was having good success attacking max's legs Overall, max was the much more accurate striker, though.

Max absolutely cannot let Frankie get this position on him

vl9Z7L.gif

Last edited:
I recommend doing something else saturday night.

Just rewatched Edgar vs. Do bronx

• Do bronx was catching Frankie a good amount with jabs when frankie thought he was at a safe range. He pressured frankie a lot, but ate a ton of shots in the process
  • Frankie started countering the jabs eventurally
  • Frankie really seems to struggle with shots right down the middle: jabs, upper cuts, and knees in particular. MAx has a sneaky jab with good timing, so it's something Max can use.
  • overall, frankie didn't have much problems closing the range behind feints and double jabs. He seems to like starting combos to the body and ending to the head on taller opponents.
  • Don't kick at frankie, it's likely he'll take you down.
  • Frankie took Do bronx down, but found himself in a guillotine at the end of round two. Something to be on the look out with Max
  • He did well punching with the taller fighter and letting the taller fighter close the distance for him, but max's jab, output, and lateral movement might pose problems

Biggest take aways were that Max's jab might be a real problem for edgar, but also that frankie doesn't seem to have any issues closing the range on a much taller rangier fighter.

Starting combos to the body and ending them to the head like this one would be wise for edgar

K15QRJ.gif

Last edited:
Watch Max vs Aldo I and Edgar vs Aldo II. Look for how Aldo deals with frankie's forward pressure and how max deals with Aldo's, specifically in the first fight. One thing Frankie might do to max as he exits out is kick his trailing leg. Dustin did well to end his combos with low kicks to freeze max in place.

I'm looking for guys that Edgar has faced somewhat similar to Max. These are the fights I'm re-watching right now:

• Max vs. Do bronx
  • Max vs. Yair
Both guys are above average strikers with a similar frame to Max, so it's interesting to see how Frankie deals with the size difference. Obviously neither of those guys are as good as max, so you can only take so much from these fights.

• Max vs. Bermudez
  • Max vs. Lamas
I think Bermudez is the closest thing Max has faced to a wrestle boxer like Edgar, although again, Bermudez isn't as good as Edgar and Max was still developing back then, so we can't take too much from this fight. Lamas isn't really like Edgar—but they are similar in that they'll both consistently look for takedowns.

Any other fights you think are good to watch in prep for 240? Max's takedown defense seems to largely be based off of fighting hands immediately, spreading his base, a solid whizzer, and threatining guilotines. Faber is kind of similar in that regard, but much, much shorter than max, so that fight doesn't seem that useful to study.

I'm also looking for some good Niko price, Arman Tsarukyan, and alexander pantoja fights to watch.
Rick Glenn vs Gavin Tucker. One of the worst beatings in MMA history.

Geoff Neal vs Belal Muhammad/Frank Camacho. Geoff Neal is the real deal.

Niko Price vs Tim Means. Arguably the best 1 round fight of the year.

Deiveson Figuerido vs John Moraga/Morales. Figueirdo is a monster.

Enjoy.

Rick Glenn vs Gavin Tucker. One of the worst beatings in MMA history.

Geoff Neal vs Belal Muhammad/Frank Camacho. Geoff Neal is the real deal.

Niko Price vs Tim Means. Arguably the best 1 round fight of the year.

Deiveson Figuerido vs John Moraga/Morales. Figueirdo is a monster.

Enjoy.

Thanks for a serious response. I've seen figueirdo vs. Moraga and it was brutal. Geof Neal vs Muhammad was great as well. I don't know if I've seen the others, so I'll check them out.

Unless Edgar is totally washed up from being old... he should take the UD against Max pretty easily.

Max looked TIRED in round 3. He didn't seem to like constant pressure. I've never seen max look that tired before.
  • Very close fight, max's striking was there as always and it could have gone either way, but the pressure from bermudez seems to be what made the judges give him the nod.
  • Bermudez was having a hard time finding Max's head, but he was having good success attacking max's legs Overall, max was the much more accurate striker, though.

Max absolutely cannot let Frankie get this position on him

vl9Z7L.gif

So you never saw Max fight Conor?

didn't max get wresltefucked by one-legged conor mcgregor?

i'm smelling that upset, baby

rational men seek THE ANSWER,
while superstitious men claimed to be #blessed

okay to answer your quesiton, i don't know that frankie edgar has ever fought someone like max...
the most relevant fights are probably edgar vs henderson, aldo, and ortega
all three are taller, longer fighters who primarily want to strike...but aside from that, they don't have much in common with max
also worth mentioning, edgar went 0-5 against them and has gotten increasingly less competitive against fighters with this sort of frame

edgar's only other loss was to maynard in 2008, but i doubt max is going to come out and wrestle

Last edited:
So you never saw Max fight Conor?

That was such a strange fight. I don't even know how to break down that fight. I'm still baffled that conor hurt his knee passing guard. Also Max broke his foot. Didn't conor do like a somersault into a double leg too? such an odd fight for both guys.

Unless Edgar is totally washed up from being old... he should take the UD against Max pretty easily.

I don't know. His tdd and ability to dictate range has improved a lot since his fight with Bermudez, but yeah, in general Edgar's style is a very interesting match up for him.

• Max vs. Do bronx
  • Max vs. Yair

• Max vs. Bermudez
  • Max vs. Lamas

Frank Shamrock vs Cung Lee is a good one.

Edgar vs Ortega
Edgar vs Aldo 1 and 2

Then watch Max vs Aldo and Ortega

its a wrap

Back