Fighters you stopped cheering for

El General

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
In other mainstream sports, basketball or futbol, its frowned upon to switch your favorite team. It's ok to cheer for another squad if your teams not playing but generally you pick one, and that's your team.

Mma is much different. You can have a favorite fighter in every weight class, male or female. You can also like more than one per weight. Maybe you'll have to make a decision if a couple of your favs fight but it's much more flexible. That's why it is also acceptable to stop cheering for a fighter over time if they have done enough to warrant it. That's what this thread is. Who are they and why did you stop being a fan?

I'm hoping this thread avoids the rules of fighter bashing. I'll start.

I was a die hard Eddie fan. Watched him from dream tournament to bellator to UFC. He was always exciting. Gets dropped but gets back up and finds a way to win. When he hit the ufc it was apparent that he was a top 5-10 guy at most. But he eked out some maligned but smart fought fights vs Pettis and Melendez. I was ok with the strategies. He had been in enough wars that I thought it was ok for him to play it safe and fight tactically, he earned it. Then he has a huge upset vs RDA that was actually an exciting win to become champ it was great. And that's where it ends.

He talked a big game in the Conor fight. Like a lot of shit. So did Conor but that's expected. He said Conor was an easy fight. Then, we saw Eddie at press conferences on a big stage for the first time and to say he wasnt ready, would be an understatement. He looked shell shocked, Conors mind games got in his head. He got punked by a Mcg fan posing as a reporter. He just didnt handle it well. Yes, he was tailor made for Conor but he laid a real fucking egg. It wasnt that he lost but it was how he lost. I thought I'd see a smart fight like the Melendez and Pettis fights. Instead, he barely goes for a takedown and continually circles to Conors left hand. It was just a loss that bothered the fuck out of me. Like all that shit talk and you lose like this, to that arrogant asshole? Then I dont like how he and his camp handled shaming Dusting Poirier after their first fight and losing the second but whining about an illegal elbow he threw.

I will always appreciate the wars but then he goes to the easy leagues and loses to idk the fuck that guy was. I just dont cheer for the guy anymore.

TJ dillashaw is honorable mention for obvious reasons. That guy shit his career right down the toilet.

None. Only time I won't cheer for a guy is if they fight somebody that I like better than them

Example: Cowboy vs Ferguson. I like Cowboy & rooted for him against Iaquinta, but cheered for Ferguson.

Honestly, I was the biggest fan of BJ Penn for a long time. But it's getting pretty hard to cheer for him the last couple years.

I remember watching him vs Sean Sherk live for the lightweight title years back, I made a bunch of bets with my friends on BJ because everybody thought Sherk was going to destroy him.

In other mainstream sports, basketball or futbol, its frowned upon to switch your favorite team. It's ok to cheer for another squad if your teams not playing but generally you pick one, and that's your team.

Mma is much different. You can have a favorite fighter in every weight class, male or female. You can also like more than one per weight. Maybe you'll have to make a decision if a couple of your favs fight but it's much more flexible. That's why it is also acceptable to stop cheering for a fighter over time if they have done enough to warrant it. That's what this thread is. Who are they and why did you stop being a fan?

I was a die hard Eddie fan. Watched him from dream tournament to bellator to UFC. He was always exciting. Gets dropped but gets back up and finds a way to win. When he hit the ufc it was apparent that he was a top 5-10 guy at most. But he eked out some maligned but smart fought fights vs Pettis and Melendez. I was ok with the strategies. He had been in enough wars that I thought it was ok for him to play it safe and fight tactically, he earned it. Then he has a huge upset vs RDA that was actually an exciting win to become champ it was great. And that's where it ends.

He talked a big game in the Conor fight. Like a lot of shit. So did Conor but that's expected. He said Conor was an easy fight. Then, we saw Eddie at press conferences on a big stage for the first time and to say he wasnt ready, would be an understatement. He looked shell shocked, Conors mind games got in his head. He got punked by a Mcg fan posing as a reporter. He just didnt handle it well. Yes, he was tailor made for Conor but he laid a real fucking egg. It wasnt that he lost but it was how he lost. I thought I'd see a smart fight like the Melendez and Pettis fights. Instead, he barely goes for a takedown and continually circles to Conors left hand. It was just a loss that bothered the fuck out of me. Like all that shit talk and you lose like this, to that arrogant asshole? Then I dont like how he and his camp handled shaming Dusting Poirier after their first fight and losing the second but whining about an illegal elbow he threw.

I will always appreciate the wars but then he goes to the easy leagues and loses to idk the fuck that guy was. I just dont cheer for the guy anymore.

TJ dillashaw is honorable mention for obvious reasons. That guy shit his career right down the toilet.

I quit cheering for Jon Jones after he took a few years off Shogun's life. But then he did the same to Cormier, and then the 2nd time around he made Cormier cry on TV in front of his wife and kids, so I cheer for Jones again.

giphy.gif

<DCrying><DCrying><DCrying>

Honestly, I was the biggest fan of BJ Penn for a long time. But it's getting pretty hard to cheer for him the last couple years.

I remember watching him vs Sean Sherk live for the lightweight title years back, I made a bunch of bets with my friends on BJ because everybody thought Sherk was going to destroy him.
Hes a good one. Guys staying too long is always sad and one that wasted their potential like Bj did is hard to root for over time.

That was a masterful performance vs Sherk though. Great boxing in that fight. BJ prob had the best hands in mma at that time.

Can we stop cheering for the Gmen?? Lol

Never, but these last few years have been fucking terrible. I usually go to 1 game a year and skipped last year.
It’s hard. But I’ve had this avatar up for 8 years.

Alvarez spent a decade putting on wildly entertaining fights. Some people have unrealistic expectations.

Eddie already had over 30 pro fights and a ton of mileage by the time he fought Conor. Styles make fights and that was a bad matchup for him. He got back on his horse and put on a thriller against JG in a blood and guts war before leaving for Japan.

He went to ONE to end his career with some big paychecks because he's in the last leg of his fighting days. Nobody will be the best forever, but for a period of time Eddie was among the best.

It seems weird to stop being a fan of a fighter because they got old.

It’s hard. But I’ve had this avatar up for 8 years.
Hey, won a superbowl in that time. Gonna be down years, I just never predicted 7 losing season ssince that super bowl. Stay strong, we will see another one. They manage to pull one in once every decade since the 80s so.... 2020's here we come.

Tj had the balls to take a huge risk going out of his natural weight class. I respected it

I stop supporting fighters that got busted with Peds.

Fighters that commit series felonies. Murder rape assaults ...

Assholes, often early on you don't know who the fighter really is, but over time is becomes obvious. E.g fake Christian Jones.

Alvarez spent a decade putting on wildly entertaining fights. Some people have unrealistic expectations.

Eddie already had over 30 pro fights and a ton of mileage by the time he fought Conor. Styles make fights and that was a bad matchup for him. He got back on his horse and put on a thriller against JG in a blood and guts war before leaving for Japan.

He went to ONE to end his career with some big paychecks because he's in the last leg of his fighting days. Nobody will be the best forever, but for a period of time Eddie was among the best.

It seems weird to stop being a fan of a fighter because they got old.
He was exposed when he got a microphone. I'll always appreciate the fights. All those years and all those fight before the UFC, and we never really got to know him.

Once he got the microphone, he kinda came off as not too smart.

Tj had the balls to take a huge risk going out of his natural weight class. I respected it
On EPO though. I loved him up until that point. But he got destroyed then busted. Tough for me to root for is all.

I quit cheering for Jon Jones after he took a few years off Shogun's life. But then he did the same to Cormier, and then the 2nd time around he made Cormier cry on TV in front of his wife and kids, so I cheer for Jones again.

giphy.gif

<DCrying><DCrying><DCrying>

And it was all for nothing. DC did something that Jon will never even attempt. Jon is content on using his frame advantage to kick knees and throw pot shots for 5 round decisions at LHW. Jon’s entire legacy has an asterisk now due to popping for 3 different banned substances. DC out here winning gold while becoming a GOAT commentator.
zuffa-llc-via-getty-images-josh-hedges-and-christian-petersen.jpg

And it was all for nothing. DC did something that Jon will never even attempt. Jon is content on using his frame advantage to kick knees and throw pot shots for 5 round decisions at LHW. Jon’s entire legacy has an asterisk now due to popping for 3 different banned substances. DC out here winning gold while becoming a GOAT commentator.
zuffa-llc-via-getty-images-josh-hedges-and-christian-petersen.jpg

LOL! Here's cormier after the beating

giphy.webp

On EPO though. I loved him up until that point. But he got destroyed then busted. Tough for me to root for is all.
Who cares, half the roster is on shit but not everyone takes huge risks for entertainments sake. No disrespect to Cejudo because he did the exact same thing after

LOL! Here's cormier after the beating

giphy.webp
Learn to embed noob.

Jon Jones has been stripped of the UFC light heavyweight title for the third time in his career.

The news was announced today on FS1’s “UFC Tonight” by long-time rival Daniel Cormier, whose knockout loss to Jones at UFC 214 was declared a no-contest by the California State Athletic Commission.

After Jones (21-1-1 MMA, 15-1-1 UFC) was first flagged for the banned steroid turinabol, UFC President Dana White said he would crown Cormier (19-1-1 MMA, 8-1-1 UFC) the new champion if Jones was suspended by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. But with Jones’ initial failure confirmed by a positive B sample, the promotion made that decision sooner”

Back