Askren and Till overrated?

ewww21

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Till should have never seen a title shot or been top 3, let alone top 5, but Dana had a boner for him and wanted Woodley gone so Till had to pay the iron price and get finished brutally 2 times in a row despite entering the cage half dead each time

Askren is in his mid 30s, has tons of mileage, is coming out of retirement and was catapulted to the top 5 over way more deserving fighters. And just like that, he gets atomic dropped by Lawler and almost finished to win by BS Herb Dean stoppage only to get KOed in 5 seconds against Mas. He hasn't looked close to good since joining and he's now squarely out of title contention.

Till is definitely overrated, Dana has always had a hard on for European strikers. Global fucking domination.

I don't think Till is overrated as much as he was simply pushed too hard after a good win over a slightly undersized WW. I still think he's top ten. The Masvidal fight was very winnable. The next best fight for him would be against Leo Edwards. I'd like to see who the best WW out of the UK is.

Last edited:
Till was severely overrated

Nick ‘part time photographer’ Dalby went life and death with him

His cowboy win was impressive but given the size advantage and a few other variables, not too impressive

He didn’t beat wonderboy
That fight was a draw and a dud

Askren is legit though, he will win fights in the UFC if he sticks around

I don't think Askren is overrated and controversy aside his fight with Robbie showed how tough he is. Unfortunately most of his hardcore fans set an extremely high bar.

Till was rushed pretty quick though.

Till should have never seen a title shot or been top 3, let alone top 5, but Dana had a boner for him and wanted Woodley gone so Till had to pay the iron price and get finished brutally 2 times in a row despite entering the cage half dead each time

Askren is in his mid 30s, has tons of mileage, is coming out of retirement and was catapulted to the top 5 over way more deserving fighters. And just like that, he gets atomic dropped by Lawler and almost finished to win by BS Herb Dean stoppage only to get KOed in 5 seconds against Mas. He hasn't looked close to good since joining and he's now squarely out of title contention.
till yes, to quick assention and shit weight cut. and Askern no. beat Robbie

It’s hard for me to say if Askren is any good considering he looked absolutely terrible in the UFC so far.

Till has a lot of work to do he is too predictable. Masvidal figured him out easily that left is all he got. Idk why people say he has a glass chin. He took a monster shot from Masvidal that would have put anyone out. Is not like he got dropped by a jab. His lack of defense and chin in the air is the problem

I don't think Askren is overrated and controversy aside his fight with Robbie showed how tough he is. Unfortunately most of his hardcore fans set an extremely high bar.
He set a high bar for himself and he knows this. He, realistically, should have ran it back with Lawler cause that finish was lame and let's be real, Lawler was fucking him up. A shot Lawler.

I think he saw Masvidal getting backpacked by people like Maia and Bendo, and getting subbed and thought it was easy money, but Masvidal is a great counter wrestler, sprawl n brawler, and crafty vet and I think a lot of us saw a Masvidal win considering how his fight with Lawler went.

Till has a lot of work to do he is too predictable. Masvidal figured him out easily that left is all he got. Idk why people say he has a glass chin. He took a monster shot from Masvidal that would have put anyone out. Is not like he got dropped by a jab. His lack of defense and chin in the air is the problem
The problem is the UFC treating like One treated Northcutt. He had no businesses skipping in line and facing killers who are real welterweights when he was gifted a decision against Wonderboy.

He had a market they wanted to exploit and Dana really thought he was gonna rid himself of Woodley

I think severe weight cutting is quite clearly the problem with Till's chin. Draining your brain fluid is never a good idea.

Till would beat Askren.
Askren loses to a lot of the top ten due to his embarrassing striking and telegraphed entries.

The problem is the UFC treating like One treated Northcutt. He had no businesses skipping in line and facing killers who are real welterweights when he was gifted a decision against Wonderboy.

He had a market they wanted to exploit and Dana really thought he was gonna rid himself of Woodley

Yea definitely. When he fought Masvidal he did the same mistakes he did in the Woodley fight. Chin up in the air, backed up in a straight line. Was only throwinh str8 punches, didnt utilize his kicks after Masvidal caught a few, looked like he was trying to force a knockout he was getting countered left and right and then boom lights out.
I think he needs a new camp

I think severe weight cutting is quite clearly the problem with Till's chin. Draining your brain fluid is never a good idea.

His chin is fine. He was eating shots from Masvidal and it didnt faze him till Masvidal set up that blitz overhand left that would have put anyone out. He didnt see the shot coming, and his chin was up in the air with his mouth open when that shot landed. His problem is his defense not chin. In the Woodley fight he got caught coming in recklessly by Woodly a big puncher, thats not proof of having a bad chin. His problem is his defense, no head movement, and chin placement. Even at 185 he's going to be ko'd stiff if he doesnt fix these issues

His chin is fine. He was eating shots from Masvidal and it didnt faze him till Masvidal set up that blitz overhand left that would have put anyone out. He didnt see the shot coming, and his chin was up in the air with his mouth open when that shot landed. His problem is his defense not chin. In the Woodley fight he got caught coming in recklessly by Woodly a big puncher, thats not proof of having a bad chin. His problem is his defense, no head movement, and chin placement. Even at 185 he's going to be ko'd stiff if he doesnt fix these issues

I don't think he has a poor chin at all, quite the opposite. I don't think doing himself any favours with the massive weight cuts though.

I don't think he has a poor chin at all, quite the opposite. I don't think doing himself any favours with the massive weight cuts though.

The weight cut isnt doing any favors, but its not the main reason. Would his ability to take shots improve if he was heavier? Yes. But that goes for everyone. The problem is at 185 their going to be hitting much harder. If Till doesnt work on his weaknesses it wont matter. If Woodley, Usman,Colby anybody took that shot overhand left from Masvidal with their chins in the air, hands out, and their mouth opened they would have been ko'd stiff.

I don't like Askren but he had some good wins outside of the UFC. When you consider he was thinking about retiring around 3 years ago, hadn't fought in a couple and also got UFC to fighting bums in One it's not too surprising that he's losing. He's also kind of old already, he should have taken the UFC's offer years ago. Lima and Koreshkov are both very legit.

Askren one is hard because he wasn't outclassed or anything, it was a ridiculous opening KO. Rather not judge his career based on 3 seconds.

His next fight will answer your question.

Till is/was for sure. He was the betting favorite over Woodley and had never really had his ground game tested by top level grapplers.

Back