What causes trash cards?

PlatinumColbyCovington

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lack of talent? Trash matchmaking? Poor management? Fans still tuning in to horrid cards so the UFC feels like they can get away with one fight cards?

Are they bad cards before or after they happen?

Are they bad cards before or after they happen?

Just because a PPV card has great fights among lower level competition doesn't necessarily make it a great PPV card. If I'm paying that much money I want to see the best fighters fight with some major stakes involved.

Bad luck mainly. The fight game is unpredictable. You really don’t know if a fight is going to go to a decision or KO or sub no matter who is fighting.

Look at it on s fight by fight basis. Nobody expected Lewis vs. Ngannou to go down like that.

I wasn’t paying attention to the build up, but I’m sure everyone expected Conor to piece up Diaz in the first fight.

I think to save the day, every car needs at least 2 HW fights to sway the odds in the way of a finishes.

When I joined Sherdog in '05 they did 80 fights that year. Last year they did 473 fights. Do the math and theres a shit load of watered down cards.

Frequency of events and depth of roster. There are a lot more fighters to feature on cards that are unproven and they are trying to build up. With the number of fight cards in a year, some of them are going to feature a lot more of these fighters matched up. Statistically most of them are not going to pan out to be top 10 fighters. Depth also makes it easier to keep a spot on the roster. I think we were pretty spoiled years ago when the rosters were not as deep and the cards had to feature higher tier matchups. Building fighter careers is not a bad thing, but I prefer the approach of feeder cards like Strikeforce used to feature to temper expectations.

Bad luck mainly. The fight game is unpredictable. You really don’t know if a fight is going to go to a decision or KO or sub no matter who is fighting.

Look at it on s fight by fight basis. Nobody expected Lewis vs. Ngannou to go down like that.

I wasn’t paying attention to the build up, but I’m sure everyone expected Conor to piece up Diaz in the first fight.

I think to save the day, every car needs at least 2 HW fights to sway the odds in the way of a finishes.
Remember UFC 76 Knockout that ended up not having a single knockout, lol.

Sometimes fights just don't go down the way everyone expects them too as you said.

Haha, remember the Heavyweights event with an all HW main card? That's a good example of a card going exactly as planned!

Frequency of events and depth of roster. There are a lot more fighters to feature on cards that are unproven and they are trying to build up. With the number of fight cards in a year, some of them are going to feature a lot more of these fighters matched up. Statistically most of them are not going to pan out to be top 10 fighters. Depth also makes it easier to keep a spot on the roster. I think we were pretty spoiled years ago when the rosters were not as deep and the cards had to feature higher tier matchups. Building fighter careers is not a bad thing, but I prefer the approach of feeder cards like Strikeforce used to feature to temper expectations.
Yeah, the Strikeforce Challengers series was great and something similar would likely benefit the UFC.

When I joined Sherdog in '05 they did 80 fights that year. Last year they did 473 fights. Do the math and theres a shit load of watered down cards.

This. And in order to put on this many fights they had to add a bunch of fighters to the roster from an already shallow talent pool. Thus began wmma.

As a longtime MMA fan, you just don't know what cards will be good and which won't. It's just about what happens in the cage that night and what's going through everyones heads who is on the card.

Somehow, Conor is somehow the reason and he needs to be held accountable.

We asked for more content, and they gave it to us.

Back