Can Max cut it in the Lightweight division?

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
So we all so the fight with Dustin and I think it's fair to say Max did seem affected with the move to LW going up against Dustin in that weight class. Max put on a fantastic fight however you could see that obviously the higher the weight class the heavier the hitters and this is what affected Max.

Max is one of my favourites but I'll always say if I feel certain things affect these fighters, flaws, holes in their game etc.. however despite that I really do feel Max can absolutely cut it in the LW division if he happened to be more active there.

Looking back on the fight I think this is just where Max struggled a little with being hit hard, he gave Dustin a run for his money but he's not used to fighting in this division so for him to take a step up I thought was not only great of him to do so but was a learning curve too, which I think would be good for him in hindsight if he happened to be more active in that division.

Of course naturally he is FW but I don't think he's out of his depth in LW either, I just think he'd need a bit of time to adjust and get used to it, find his feet and then be smashing his way through the competition as a legit contender.

So what are your thoughts? Do you feel with a bit more LW experience Max could cut it more in the division or do you feel that FW is where Max should stay and keep the competition at a high for himself?

I thought this could be quite interesting to see what you guys think.

Not enough power to hang with the elites

Doesn't have enough sting to keep wrestlers like Khabib or Gillespie off him

Can also get beaten by other strikers that have heavier hands, as we have already seen.

I think we've seen he can't handle the power and size difference. He always has a chance of course. Max IS really good.

Depends on how you define cutting it. I'd define it as being top 15 in the division and by that definition I certainly think he could cut it.

In short, and for all the reasons stated already, no. He's a FW, and one who makes good use of his size advantage at that weight. Dana doesn't want him there either. He'll end up with severe brain trauma if he chooses to persevere with the suicide mission.

To win at the elite level, he would probably have to put on muscle to the point where a return to FW would be almost impossible.

IMO, he's better off hanging out at 145 and piling up some title defenses.

hed do fine and win some FOTN bonuses. but i cant see how someone as physical as gaetje wouldnt be able to just pummel him

Depends on how you define cutting it. I'd define it as being top 15 in the division and by that definition I certainly think he could cut it.

Being a legit contender in the competition basically.

I think it's easy for us to say after the Dustin fight that he couldn't but I honestly feel it's down to experience and adapting which he didn't really do to his full potential in the Dustin fight as he would if he was there more within the division.

As I say, it's pretty obvious he's naturally FW however he'd work on increasing his punching power, so many different things that would come into play if he would be more active within the division.

But yeah, it would be interesting to see if he had a few more fights with different opponents. I mean, he was fighting Dustin so it's not an easy task to be thrown in with where as usually fighters fight their way up the rankings (I know in regards to the title thing but I mean in general).

No. He would be a gatekeeper. Remember most of his fights would be 3rds which makes his cardio less relevant. He’d be completely pillow fisted at lightweight and would be a tier below the barbozas of the division.
Khabib beats him
Ferguson beats him
Dustin wins
Mcgregor beats him
Barboza beats him
Cowboy beats him(good takedowns, way bigger and leg kicks would be a problem. Cowboys also way longer)
Diaz beats him(Better boxer and 10 lbs bigger)
Al would lose
Felder would win as I think he’s more versatile on the feet.
Gregor wins(wrestling too much)
Pettis loses
Holloway likely beats the rest.

People need to remember if guys like barboza fought at 45 he would be a champ. Holloway legacy wise should stay at 45

We're not bringing this up again. Don't y'all remember how this place went nuts after his Ortega win with claims he'd breeze through 155?? And the subsequent fail?? You never learn.

So we all so the fight with Dustin and I think it's fair to say Max did seem affected with the move to LW going up against Dustin in that weight class. Max put on a fantastic fight however you could see that obviously the higher the weight class the heavier the hitters and this is what affected Max.

Max is one of my favourites but I'll always say if I feel certain things affect these fighters, flaws, holes in their game etc.. however despite that I really do feel Max can absolutely cut it in the LW division if he happened to be more active there.

Looking back on the fight I think this is just where Max struggled a little with being hit hard, he gave Dustin a run for his money but he's not used to fighting in this division so for him to take a step up I thought was not only great of him to do so but was a learning curve too, which I think would be good for him in hindsight if he happened to be more active in that division.

Of course naturally he is FW but I don't think he's out of his depth in LW either, I just think he'd need a bit of time to adjust and get used to it, find his feet and then be smashing his way through the competition as a legit contender.

So what are your thoughts? Do you feel with a bit more LW experience Max could cut it more in the division or do you feel that FW is where Max should stay and keep the competition at a high for himself?

I thought this could be quite interesting to see what you guys think.

My answer above.
Big fan of Holloway but I feel he would do poorly at lightweight relative to his featherweight run.

Interesting responses, again no right or wrong but just a case of wanting you guys to be open minded a little more as I think the responses are the obvious to say on a whole at the moment (and very valid too) but it is an interesting one.

This is the thing, Max isn't a big dude either but he's a great elite fighter so that's the kind of balance there with this.

He can make it to LW as we've seen but can experience and working more within that improve this more, it's interesting to see what you guys think :)

I think we've seen he can't handle the power and size difference. He always has a chance of course. Max IS really good.

Pretty much this, I guess he beats anyone at least out of the top 10 though.

My answer above.
Big fan of Holloway but I feel he would do poorly at lightweight relative to his featherweight run.

That's the debate I have too when it comes to the higher contenders but as a fighter, he's very good (he has a good IQ) so this is the debate I have where I feel he can cut it but, it's an interesting one if he was to be more active and cater more to the LW but I think he'd need time to adjust.

He didn't do too bad against Dustin so would experience there be a different story in regards to being a legit contender, it does make you wonder.

To win at the elite level, he would probably have to put on muscle to the point where a return to FW would be almost impossible.

IMO, he's better off hanging out at 145 and piling up some title defenses.
This.

He looked like a FW who didn't cut weight while Poirier looked every bit a LW and then some. That he went 5 rounds with a beast like Poirier I think says a lot about what he could do with proper acclimation to the division but his optimal path lies at FW.

This.

He looked like a FW who didn't cut weight while Poirier looked every bit a LW and then some. That he went 5 rounds with a beast like Poirier I think says a lot about what he could do with proper acclimation to the division but his optimal path lies at FW.

Yep, that's what I mean, this is the thing we have to take on board while thinking about this.

It's easy to say "No" and that might be the case but I think we have to think a little bit out of the box because if he was to do so, he'd cater to what he needs to do within the division and although he lost the fight with Dustin, he put on one hell of a fight and that was with just stepping in.

I think you nailed it but as I say in the original post, he's no doubt naturally a FW but is he out of his depth with LW, I'm not so sure.

yes he can but LW is the most stacked division in the UFC so he has his work cut out and he won't have that size advantage like he does at FW

another thing to note: Dustin is one of the hardest hitters at LW and has put down a lot of durable LW's thus far so for Max to have survived that speaks volumes

Last edited:
yes he can but LW is the most stacked division in the UFC so he has his work cut out and he won't have that size advantage like he does at FW

another thing to note: Dustin is one of the hardest hitters at LW and he has put down a lot of durable LW's thus far so for Max to have survived that speaks volumes

Absolutely. The competition in the LW is among the highest though as you say with Dustin I think it something to take on board here.

Back