Conor - Brand Value and Future Fight

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
People routinely argue that Conor just doesn't have the same motivation to fight since he is beyond rich and does not need it.

That might well be true, but I think the more important factor is that precisely because Conor's brand is worth such an immense deal and generates massive income even as he idly sits without fighting, the single most important thing for McGregor at this point is to not risk lowering the value of his brand and thus his income.

Now, because his brand-value is contingent on public perception of him as a fighter, and this is bound to slowly diminish as time outside of the ring increases and interest wanes, this means that even more important than how much money he is bound to make in a future fight, when he does he must pick a fight that he knows he has optimal chances at winning, since losing at this point would invariably take a big hit on his brand-value. The most important thing for McGregor at this point is to not lose his next fight so as to restore brand value.

This is where things become difficult: at LW, the fact is, no fight is a sure thing for McGregor. He doesn't have the size advantage that allowed him to pressure his opponents at FW, and he has shown glaring holes in his ground game while the division is rife with very strong wrestlers and submission artists, who also have size over him.

Fighting Diaz seems smart, since he is well regarded, not the youngest cat in the block, has been beaten by McGregor before, and hasn't been competing very often. Yet he still poses very obvious threats, and McGregor barely squeaked the win in the second fight.

Masvidal is peaking in value and momentum right now, has the size and intensity to make that a nasty fight for McGregor. So probably not. Ferguson I think is a winnable fight, but he unfortunately is so damn unpopular it makes little financial sense. Cerrone was a good pick, insofar as he would be willing to bang it out for the fans, and doesn't care about losing too much, but losing to Ferg dissipated the hype.

Poirier, if he wins, is the surest way to catapult himself to peak hype, since he can claim he has a win over him from before, and the UFC can market that. They could just have Tony sit it out with a guaranteed shot, which would actually benefit him, since if Conor beats Poirier then Conor vs. Tony for the title makes Ferg a rich man. So his best shot is to wait and hope that Poirier beats Khabib. Chances of him winning against Khabib in a rematch are slender, to say the least.

Last edited:
I would of retired years ago if I was him. Relatively little damage no point fighting killers and getting CTE like those guys like Gaethje and Ferguson who need to fight.

If he sits out a fight worth his while financially will present itself.
Caner bless

Not the most marketable thread name. Or is it?

I came in here to bash you as thought this was just another Conor thread but a lot of time and effort went in, so, good for you and I kinda agree.

The problem is the longer he sits out the more irrelevant he becomes. Fads and celebrities don’t last long if they drop out of the spotlight for an extended period of time. He will always be a draw but as each day goes by that marketability drops.

People routinely argue that Conor just doesn't have the same motivation to fight since he is beyond rich and does not need it.

That might well be true, but I think the more important factor is that precisely because Conor's brand is worth such an immense deal and generates massive income even as he idly sits without fighting, the single most important thing for McGregor at this point is to not risk lowering the value of his brand and thus his income.

Now, because his brand-value is contingent on public perception of him as a fighter, and this is bound to slowly diminish as he ammasses time outside of the ring and interest wanes, this means that even more important than how much money he is bound to make in a future fight, when he does he must pick a fight that he knows he has optimal chances at winning, since losing at this point would invariably take a big hit on his brand-value. The most important thing for McGregor at this point is to not lose his next fight.

This is where things become difficult: at LW, the fact is, no fight is a sure thing for McGregor. He doesn't have the size advantage that allowed him to pressure his opponents at FW, and he has shown glaring holes in his ground game while the division is ripe with very strong wrestlers and submission artists, who also have size over him.

Fighting Diaz seems smart, since he is well regarded, not the youngest cat in the block, has been beaten by McGregor before, and hasn't been competing very often. Yet he still poses very obvious threats, and McGregor barely squeaked the win in the second fight.

Masvidal is peaking in value and momentum right now, has the size and intensity to make that a nasty fight for McGregor. So probably not. Ferguson I think is a winnable fight, but he unfortunately is so damn unpopular it makes little financial sense. Cerrone was a good pick, insofar as he would be willing to bang it out for the fans, and doesn't care about losing too much, but losing to Ferg dissipated the hype.

Poirier, if he wins, is the surest way to catapult himself to peak hype, since he can claim he has a win over him from before, and the UFC can market that. Chances of him winning against Khabib in a rematch are slender, to say the least.

unless the people that conor hired to run proper 12 are idiots than he never have to get into a cage again.

if dustin wins you can add him to conr list of fighters he ducking.

The problem is the longer he sits out the more irrelevant he becomes. Fads and celebrities don’t last long if they drop out of the spotlight for an extended period of time. He will always be a draw but as each day goes by that marketability drops.

Yeah I mentioned that as well. He needs to fight eventually, and not lose. So it's a very tricky picking game. He has more value at stake than anyone, for obvious reasons.

For the most part, Conor's done. He will keep training sporadically and keep his name out there while teasing this fight or that fight. But if and when he comes back, it will only be for a meaningless comeback fight against some chump or a freakshow fight against a boxer or professional wrestler.

I want to see his Proper 12 logo in the center of the octagon.

I'll gurantee you at some point , Dana tried to talk him into fighting gaejthe. Conor would be dumb not to take fight. I cant stand McGregor but that fight would be easy money for him plus justin now decently ranked and people think hes a great fighter.
I wouldn't be shocked if that fight came out of nowhere and the mma community would be happy.

He fell way low on the Forbes list in 2019.

his brand power is weakening

He'll probably owe money by the end of it, esp legal fees

I don't think Conner will fight more than 2 or 3 times before he retires. 2020 will probably be the last year he fights. Id like to see him fight for the title again, but who knows if he'll get the chance. Tony Ferguson has the winner of Dustin/Khabib.

His loss to Khabib did hurt his PPV star status, but he is still the #1 draw in the UFC. There is no fight that could be made in the UFC outside of Conner that could generate more than 600k/700k buys unless something crazy happens like Brock or GSP come back which is just not going to happen. Even the Khabib/Dustin fight will probably max out at 500k to 600k buys.

There will always be a Nate 3 fight regardless what either does. Which I for one will be down for. Both fights were awesome. Fuck rankings.

problem with that is in conors current state he wouldnt win at lw vs dustin and i doubt dustin beats kabib or even if that fight happens

Motivated or not, Khabib already smashed that Conor brand.

It's just more than a defeat, he broke McGregor physically and mentally (total annihilation).

The McGregor as a fighter won't be ever the same,

But McGregor as a brand can still sell...

I want to see his Proper 12 logo in the center of the octagon.
here ya go bud

1Ru13ay.gif

Back