Is Dominick Cruz's victory over Demetrious the most overlooked win in MMA history?

West Linn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Demetrious Johnson is widely considered one of the greatest fighters of this generation. Hate on his personality, his fighting style, but his status and dominance can't be questioned. He will go down as one of the all time greats in MMA history.

But once upon a time, he was dominated by The Dominator.

Before the fight with Cruz, I believe Demetrious was still a part time fighter. He was putting together a solid resume, beating Damacio Page, Kid Yamamoto, and Miguel Torres.

Then the Cruz fight. Cruz completely dominated DJ, wall to wall. DJ did threaten at times with his striking, but that was quickly stifled by Cruz's size and wrestling. Cruz rendered DJ ineffective and completely battered him. People wanted to see DJ in a superfight against a dominant BW, and there it was early in his career.

After that, Demetrious would move down to FLW and (aside from the close fight with McCall), put together one of the best winning streaks in UFC history, defending the FLW belt a record 11 times, beating his opponents in impressive fashion. Though people called him boring, he was finishing fights. Maybe not in the fashion many would expect, but he would wear on his opponents before finally pulling off the finish.

In his wake would be the bodies of fighters like Joseph Benavidez, previous to DJ the uncrowned champ and perennial #2 in the division, John Dodson, one of the most explosive and physically gifted a fighters we will ever see, and Henry Cejudo, Olympic champion and current Champ-Champ.

Looking back, before the Cruz fight, there was no way we could see the dominant champion and all time p4p great that Demetrious would become. Now, knowing what we know, does Dominick Cruz get the proper respect for being the only fighter to ever completely dominate Demetrious Johnson?

Is this fight overlooked in the big picture of MMA history? With all the talk of TJ being the greatest BW of all time, is Cruz being overlooked? Should this win over DJ elevate Cruz's legacy more than it currently does? Does that win establish Dominick Cruz as the greatest lighter weight fighter in MMA history? Would this fight play out any differently if it were to happen today?

I think it is a pretty underrated win.

Another one that comes to mind is Valentijn Overeem vs Randy Couture

I think it is a pretty underrated win.

Another one that comes to mind is Valentijn Overeem vs Randy Couture
You're older than me if you even remotely remember that fight

Looked like a 10 year old fighting a short guy

DJ is small for Flyweight and this was at 135

So...no

Not really.

Mighty Mouse was wayyyyy outside his best weight at the time, one fight removed from drawing Ian McCall and one year+ removed from losing to Brad Pickett.

He certainly wasn't THE Mighty Mouse he would later become when they fought.

DJ was very green but Cruz wasn’t fully fledged yet either. I guess I understand Johnson’s reluctance to move up a bit more. Dude got big brothered to the highest degree very early on in his career

You're older than me if you even remotely remember that fight
Do not remember that fight, started watching around 07. But I try to research the older eras and I think what that fight really does is further cement how good Big Nog was during his early run, who went on to defeat Valentijn

DJ is small for Flyweight and this was at 135

So...no
Lol Dominick looked like Lesnar in that fight

AgedImpracticalDrake-size_restricted.gif

Cruz dominated that fight.

50-45 on all cards if I remember. Very overlooked win, then again cruz’ career in general is under appreciated.

It was definitely a good example for why we have weight classes

Knowing what we know about TJ now, Cruz's win over him (A guy that finished Garbrandt twice and Barao twice), I'd say Cruz beating Dillishaw is even more impressive.

Cruz is underrated simply due to a lack of activity. too many injuries unfortunately. Grabrandt knocked out 9 of his 11 wins and yet Cruz ate multiple huge shots from him and kept fighting.

Mighty Mouse had not nearly put his game together at that point to the level he later ascended to. He shortly thereafter nearly lost to Ian McCall, whose career zenith was a three fight win streak in Tachi Palace fights. Johnson was already fast, capable, and showcasing very high level wrestling, but I don't recall him becoming that other level super fighter until after he obtained the flyweight belt.

Cruz was prime, and DJ had come into his own quite yet.

Those fights DJ with Cruz, McCall, Benavidez and Dodson were close fights.

Compare them to Dodson 2, Benavidez 2, Cejudo 1, etc etc. DJ was just so dominant the second half of his career.

And then of course Cejudo 2 happened, heh. And round and round we go.

Back