I don't think Champions should be allowed to move up a weight class for an immediate TS

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
I don't like it at all.

IMO , if a champion wants a chance to become champ champ, they should only be allowed to move up to the weight class, get a top 15-10 opponent and work their way up the ranks in that division accordingly until they get an earned TS, while still defending their Title at their original division.

That to me would be a REAL CHAMP CHAMP... Letting someone step foot in a division and right into a TS makes zero sense to me (other than the appeal of a "super fight" , hence $$$ of course)

Discuss..

People don't fight often enough for what you say to make any sense. No champ is ever going to sacrifice two years to get a shot at another belt.

It makes sense if it is a super fight with a build up, when both champions have many title defences. Like Anderson vs GSP that never happened

I don't like it at all.

IMO , if a champion wants a chance to become champ champ, they should only be allowed to move up to the weight class, get a top 15-10 opponent and work their way up the ranks in that division accordingly until they get an earned TS, while still defending their Title at their original division.

That to me would be a REAL CHAMP CHAMP... Letting someone step foot in a division and right into a TS makes zero sense to me (other than the appeal of a "super fight" , hence $$$ of course)

Discuss..

I'm not sure the immediate title shot is what bothers me, assuming they cleared out their current division as much as possible. However, I have thought that the UFC should consider not allowing anyone to hold two belts at the same time. If you want to contend for another belt, you have to give up your current one. Having one fighter be the champion of two weight classes tends to clog things up imo. It looks really cool in advertising when they get to scream double champ at us, but I'm really not crazy about it.

I agree with you. It's even worse if they win a belt and hardly defend it and then move up and are granted a TS.

Agreed. They at least should fight a number one contender before getting the shot. Like Holloway did..

I don't like it at all.

Discuss..
Well if they move up and get an immediate ts and win then they were good enough to be champ . I'm not quite following . They could could let alot of peopleove up in weight and challenge for a ts. 95 percent or more would lose . So if someone does move up and wins like I just said it just means they were already better than the champ anyway

I agree.

First of all, no jumping to a higher weight class if your current belt wasn't defended, unless you wanna stay there.

Second, you need to beat a top 5 contender in the higher weight class before getting a TS.

Unfortunately, Conor started this champ champ BS trend and it's only gonna get worse. At least DC defended both his titles and fought at HW before he returned there for the TS.

Anderson moved up in weight to fight Irvin, Griffin and Bonnar.

None of them stood a chance, and got KO'd to Bolivian. To me that was more impressive than someone like Conor having a single good night vs Alvarez.

Silva got no belt for it unlike the Irish plumber.

Anderson moved up in weight to fight Irvin, Griffin and Bonnar.

None of them stood a chance, and got KO'd to Bolivian. To me that was more impressive than someone like Conor having a single good night vs Alvarez.

Silva got no belt for it unlike the Irish plumber.

Silva has the record for most title defenses, he ruled the division for many years, he dominated each fighter and always came to fight. He still fights at 42. Those two should not be mentioned in the same sentence.

I don't like it at all.

Discuss..

cool stuff man...the only thing is, you wouldnt see a champ champ in your lifetime.

I agree. Champ champ seems cool at first but then you realize it slows down both divisions.

Also, they don’t deserve to get an immediate shot at the other belt because other REAL contenders in that division have been working their ass off their whole life for a title shot.

cool stuff man...the only thing is, you wouldnt see a champ champ in your lifetime.

Why not?
For example:

They defend their title in one fight,
Then fight a 12 ranked opponent in the upper weight class next fight,
Then fight a 7 ranked opponent in the upper weight class next,
They defend their title,
Then fight a 3 ranked opponent in the upper weight class,
Then defend title,
Then Title Shot in upper ranked weight class
Boom Champ Champ

Thats 7 fights. They can do that in less than 2 years. I don't think its that farfetched. Plus they've defended their original title 3 times, which is respectable.

Well if they move up and get an immediate ts and win then they were good enough to be champ . I'm not quite following . They could could let alot of peopleove up in weight and challenge for a ts. 95 percent or more would lose . So if someone does move up and wins like I just said it just means they were already better than the champ anyway

I get what you're saying but it ruins everything for the other fighters who have been steadily climbing their way up the ranks if someone just walks in the division and gets a TS. Plus it takes away from the credibility of legitimate mixed martial arts competition. Its about work, progress and climbing the ranks.

I agree. Champ champ seems cool at first but then you realize it slows down both divisions.

Also, they don’t deserve to get an immediate shot at the other belt because other REAL contenders in that division have been working their ass off their whole life for a title shot.

Absolutely.
Some guys are going through fucking wars for a couple years and reach like the 5 rank and in comes in the champion from the lower weight class to fight for the title. Its fucked up.

I agree.

First of all, no jumping to a higher weight class if your current belt wasn't defended, unless you wanna stay there.

Second, you need to beat a top 5 contender in the higher weight class before getting a TS.

Unfortunately, Conor started this champ champ BS trend and it's only gonna get worse. At least DC defended both his titles and fought at HW before he returned there for the TS.

Its one of the most undermined things when people talk about how Conor negatively contributed to mma. I think the champ champ trend is a big one. Its all about the glitz and glamor now, taking away from the true essence of martial arts.

Great point about DC. I never gave that much thought. DC is the only true Champ Champ.

Cleaning out the division first should be apart of the criteria as well

I think it depends on who they are and how many title defences they have

Someone like Jones should be able to get an instant title shot, but someone like Usman doesn't deserve to

I don't like it at all.

Discuss..
  1. first all, stop saying "champ champ" - you sound stupid.
  2. champions moving up in weight classes for immediate or close to immediate title shots is how combat sports has worked for hundreds of years. if you got picked last for kickball as a kid, i can understand why you didn't already know this.
  3. all fights that between division champions are "super fights"

Back