Johnny Walker Calls Out Francis Ngannou (Jon Bones Stunned)

What do you make of Jones' last fight?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Johnny Walker is tired of waiting. In fact, he’s so eager to return he’s picking fights at both light heavyweight and heavyweight.

The Brazilian 205-pounder impressed the MMA world with three spectacular knockouts in less than four months, stopping Khalil Rountree, Justin Ledet and Misha Cirkunov in a combined time of 2:48 before injuring his shoulder during his post-fight celebration.

Walker was targeting a return to the Octagon around September, but wants to “beat someone up” as soon as possible.

“My target is the champion, so I’ll fight whoever they put in front of me, it doesn’t matter,” Walker told MMA Fighting. “I don’t have a preference. I have to get past someone to get (to the belt), so I don’t care. Whoever they bring, it’s fine.

“I don’t want to sound cocky, but my goal is way bigger than this. People will say I’m cocky, that I’m talking about beating everyone up. Man, my goal is to be champion so I have to beat these guys up first.”

Jon Jones is Walker’s target in the light heavyweight division right now. “Bones” successfully defended his UFC belt with a split decision win over Thiago Santos at UFC 239 in Las Vegas on July 6. Walker was in attendance that night, and doesn’t think Jones performed at his best in the cage.

“I think he can do much better than that,” Walker said. “He definitely has to do more against me, otherwise I’ll knock him out in the first round.”

“I think ‘Marreta’ was a great challenge,” he continued, “But ‘Marreta’ got hurt in the first round. Jones is the champion and would obviously win if it went to the scorecards, so I think he took his foot off the gas and the fight went the way you saw.”

Walker scored the contest for Jones watching it live at the T-Mobile Arena, but, in the end, all he could think was getting inside that Octagon with him.

“I thought about jumping in there and challenging him,” Walker said with a laugh, “But there were so many cops in every corner of that Octagon.”

If Jones fights that way against Walker “he would only last one round,” the Brazilian said, “But he won’t fight that way. I know he’s capable of five rounds of action with me. It will be the best fight of the year. It’s up to him, though. I’m 100 percent ready.”

Days after his win over Santos, Jones went on social media and asked fans who should he “scrap” next. When a fan mentioned Walker’s name, Jones didn’t think it was a good idea.

“Well, he’s right,” Walker said. “I still haven’t done much (in the UFC). But there aren’t many guys who would give me a big challenge. I don’t have to beat a top 5. People talk too much crap, man. People say I don’t have jiu-jitsu, I don’t have wrestling. They say I have to fight a wrestler. The last wrestler I fought lasted five seconds. I’m ready for him and I know I’d be a big challenge. I think he’s afraid to lose to an unknown guy.”

If the Jones fight doesn’t happen any time soon — and the UFC can’t find a light heavyweight willing to share the cage with Walker —the Brazilian is open to moving up to heavyweight to test his hands against one of the most feared fighters in MMA today.

“I’d like to impress the fans by beating Francis Ngannou. He’s a machine,” Walker said. “He impressed so many people with his punching power, the way he finishes his fights. People [are] scared to fight him. I’m not scared to fight him. We have the same punching power. I did the test at the UFC Performance Institute. I was coming off a surgery and almost did the same number he did, so I have the same power or even more. I can definitely defeat him.”

-MMAFighting.com

Take notes kids. This is how you get yourself noticed.

He may really be in decline, or he may actually be off the juice. I remain suspicious but we'll see.

Buying into his own hype. Should slow down a bit imo.

If gravity can break his shoulder, Francis shouldn’t have much to be concerned about

He may really be in decline, or he may actually be off the juice. I remain suspicious but we'll see.
He mostly just fought stupid, imo. He was clearly wary of Santos' power, but his ego forced him to win it on the feet because he 'beats guys at their strength'. If he had taken Santos down in the second and caved his face in with elbows, no one would remember he looked lackluster in the first round (which isn't uncommon for Jones).

Jones is scared to move up to HW. Now he finds out a LHW he has to fight hits as hard as the baddest HW on the planet. Hahahaha!
Jon Jones: I'm moving to MW.

The most overrated guy in the UFC. Sherdogs next great hope to beat Jones is a twink with a lisp. Please fight Francis. PLEASE

Jon will pulse harder than ever before when he fights Johnny Walker.

"I did the test at the UFC Performance Institute. I was coming off a surgery and almost did the same number he did, so I have the same power or even more. I can definitely defeat him.”
<36>

This is why I like Walker. He talks but isn't an a-hole. He wants fights, wants to fight anyone.

And he makes sense. Jones did have an off-night. And he admits he hasn't done much in the UFC. How many guys say that? "I haven't done enough". But he wants to do more, and will fight anyone, and isn't scared to fight anyone. What's not to like?

The biggest threat to Walker getting a title shot is his post fight celebrations

I think Jon also got hurt in the fight, not enough to cause severe injury or take him out for awhile, but Jon likely kept comfortable because Santos, though tactical and a heavy hitter, couldn't push much more without falling to pieces. Even in a compromised state, Santos had heat and with Jon also hurting, didn't want to eat a big one and not have his legs under him.

Jones has to know Walker has situational KO power, not unlike Santos really, but there are a couple of stark differences. I can see this being a fight where there's a lot of reading of ranges, staring at each other, but ends very abrupt.Jon isn't known for the KO, but longer the fight, the more Jon has on the opponent. And he has never been stopped. History suggests the odds favor the more calm and experienced fighter. But, anything can happen.

Bones is taking all challengers. Fighting like a fiend this past year. Division is so dead, all ya gotta is ask at this point and your wish will be granted.

I got JBJ owning this greeny

BOOK IT.

Back