Media Can Max Holloway Go On Another 13 Fight Win Streak?

• Thread starter Deleted member 545701
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 545701

The consensus around Max Holloway is that he's too small for 155, but he's also too big for 145. He's stuck in a strange situation where the lightweights will typically have the weight / power advantage on him, but he would have to kill himself to make weight. Granted, he's never missed weight at 145 as far as I know, but you get the point.

Another narrative, is that Holloway's next couple of potential title defenses will be his toughest. I agree with the Alexander Volkanovski one, but Frankie Edgar seems a bit too old at this stage to beat Holloway. He may steal 1 or 2 rounds, but I don't think it'll be enough in the end. I'll compare Max's last 13 wins to his next 5 potential bouts:

His 13 fight win streak
upload_2019-7-16_0-0-2.png

In my opinion, Jose Aldo & Ortega were his toughest opponents to date. Both were finished inside of the distance. They made the mistake of striking with the striker. Even though Aldo is one of the greatest strikers in UFC history, he got out-volumed & eventually drowned.

Next 5 opponents (potentially):

Frankie Edgar (pressure wrestler with good boxing - doesn't get tired and has only been finished via punches 1 time in his career)

Alexander Volkanovski (17 fight win streak. Pressure fighter who is very hard to hit clean. Has beat Chad Mendes and Jose Aldo)

Zabit Magomedsharipov (13 fight win streak. Crafty fighter who is great on the feet & ground. Iron chin, but leaky cardio. Still gets the job done though. Would be tallest opponent since Cole Miller for Holloway)

Korean Zombie (Has shown very few weaknesses since his return & fucked up in the last 5 seconds of a fight he was winning. Great cardio, good boxing, and good ground game. Very durable as well. Had a close fight with Prime Aldo)

Josh Emmett / Yair / Kattar / Ortega rematch - the deep future
111GettyImages-949805418.jpg

alexander-volkanovski.jpg

zabit-magomedsharipov.jpg

usa_today_9860096.0.jpg

Can Max Holloway beat these men and go on another long win streak? Or has Holloway's striking defense been exposed? I assume Frankie will be shooting for TDs but he's going to be testing him in all aspects of MMA

Last edited by a moderator:
He can't keep up the extreme weight cutting.

I didn't read anything you wrote but no.

No but he will get through the four main guys you mentioned

Volkanovski has a chance for sure.
I think he will beat Edgar by UD

Maybe he should just fight McGregor again. They are both 150 lb'ers.

He's not small for 155, he's just fat lol. He can bulk up and be competitive at 155. He had enough pop to stop Dustin from just walking him down.

But I don't know.

Volk is the only one who I think Canberra beat him. The weight cuts will get harder.

He's not too small for 155. That was a winnable fight against Poirier. He just has to fight smarter.

Max is not too small for LW. He needs to take his time and bulk up like Poitier did.

Max is not too small for LW. He needs to take his time and bulk up like Poitier did.
Yeah Sydney Poitier is an absolute beast. Poirier on the other hand is likely going to cop a beatdown from Khabib.

Volk is the only one who I think Canberra beat him. The weight cuts will get harder.

Frankie Edgar is another who I think New Jersey beat him.

Did I do that right?

He won't fight 13 more times. Probably getting hard for him to make 145 as well.

He's not "too small" for 155

It's that his chin-reliant style doesn't hold up against harder hitters

He's not small for 155, he's just fat lol. He can bulk up and be competitive at 155. He had enough pop to stop Dustin from just walking him down.

But I don't know.
No he didn't, that's the exact reason Dustin won lol.

Holloway is in an unfortunate position where soon enough his drastic weight cutting will catch up with him, but for the style of fighting (volume, taking hits, having size on opponents) does not translate well at 155, as we saw

As others have said, I think he will eventually get KTFO pretty bad

Amazing fighter, awesome streak, but as he ages his style won't hold up well

I think that if Frankie doesn't beat him, then Volkanovski will. I don't think his future should be at FW. I'd like to see him stop cutting 30lbs and just dedicate himself to LW.

Back