Holm/Rousey or Nunes/Cyborg? Which one was the most shocking? | FREE FIGHTS

Which One?

• Total voters

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Which one of these female title fights was the most shocking fight ?

Holly Holm knocking Ronda Rousey out, who was undefeated, considered the best female in the UFC and who is the biggest name ever in WMMA

Or

Amanda Nunes knocking Cris Cyborg out in 51 seconds, who was considered the most feared female fighter and was 13 years undefeated

?????

FREE FIGHTS

Nunes Vs Cyborg wasn't shocking

2 people started brawling and one got clipped. It was pretty clear from the second that started somebody was breaking very quickly....

Holm vs Rousey shocked the world even beyond mma

No comparison

Either Nunes or Cyborg was going to get knocked out.

Most people weren't giving Holly a chance on here. Before the fight was announced, Holm's was moved up a couple of ranks just to sell the fight better.

People hate on honda but that is the correct answer to this question. Cyborg is a good female fighter but Amanda is a fucking monster. People had no idea how badly honda would get dominated.

Ronda was probably the most shocking to the world since everyone was eating paint chips while watching Ronda fight.

Nunes over Cyborg is the correct answer though because Cyborg is actually a good fighter and a lot larger than Nunes. Cyborg could win the rematch if she doesn't fight stupid, but I bet she didn't think Nunes could hit that hard.

Recency bias is affecting a lot of people. Holm was very one dimensional and the majority of people thought she'd get subbed quickly. She also looked completely terrible in both of her UFC fights before her title shot.

Nunes wasn't that big of an underdog and was coming in with a ton of momentum at the time. Cyborg also came in with perhaps the world's worst gameplan and it wasn't THAT hard to picture her getting caught when she was just bull-rushing forward like an idiot.

Holm shooting a takedown on Rousey and surviving (not even the actual head-kick) was more shocking than a big power puncher scoring a KO even if it was over Cyborg IMHO

I gave Amanda more of a chance going in than I did Holly. In fact, I ended up leaning towards Amanda right before the fight. Still, seeing Cyborg get sparked out like that that quickly was shocking and extremely exciting. Most exciting WMMA fight ever for as long as it lasted. While I didn't give Holly much of a chance going in, it became apparent pretty quickly that Holly was out classing her and Ronda had no chance. It's kind of an apples and oranges thing to me. Holly beating Ronda wasn't as much of an "oh shit!" moment for me. The entire time Amanda was beating Cyborg's ass, I was screaming oh shit! Those were also the hardest, cleanest punches I'd ever seen from a woman. Cyborg is a BIG woman who can take a shot. We've seen the footage of her picking up a 230 lb Tito who has her in a triangle in training and slamming him. Amanda had to hit harder than she ever had before to put her out cold like that. Knocking Cyborg out COLD like that in less than a minute was shocking. Nobody predicted that Cyborg would last only 3 seconds longer than Ronda and that the KO would be A LOT more brutal, it was a clean KO and not just a TKO like against Ronda.

Recency bias is affecting a lot of people. Holm was very one dimensional and the majority of people thought she'd get subbed quickly. She also looked completely terrible in both of her UFC fights before her title shot.

Nunes wasn't that big of an underdog and was coming in with a ton of momentum at the time. Cyborg also came in with perhaps the world's worst gameplan and it wasn't THAT hard to picture her getting caught when she was just bull-rushing forward like an idiot.

Exactly. Holm barely squeaked out a split decision over Pennington and couldn't even hurt or bloody up a 40 year school teacher (Reneau). The best you could say based on her performances was maybe she can play keep-away and point fight her way to a 5 round decision against Ronda. Who knew that she could actually put some weight on her punches and land kicks that everyone else had seen coming from a mile a way and blocked with no issue?

Nunes on the other hand had violently wrecked everyone not named Shevchenko ever since her move to ATT, she was punching them silly and finishing them in the 1st round. Even Tate who was known for her toughness was a bloody mess and out on her feet within a couple minutes and finished off in well under a round. I knew that if Amanda could land clean which she had a decent chance of doing, she could hurt Cyborg and either put her away clean or damage her so badly that she never gets back into the fight.

Probably Holly because Honda was finishing her opponents easily in Round 1. Nunes already demonstrated her wrecking ability on Miesha, Ronda.

Nunes cyborg for sure. Didnt see anyone knocking out cyborg especially from a smaller weight class.

I think alotta people were picking Holm to chew Ronda up on the feet, how badly it happened surprised everyone tho I'm sure.

Cyborg was more shocking but Ronda was way more satisfying.
Weirdly enough, the Holm one people actually saw coming within the last few days before the fight. In some interviews before the fight and at the weigh ins, signs of Ronda losing her mind and going of the rails had become noticed. Huge upset still, but the night before the fight a lot of sherdoggers were actually discussing this.

Cyborg never went off the rails. As it turns out, Nunez is just really good. And she probably had a little luck on her side that night

You say that, and obviously the oddsmakers agreed, but there were plenty of people who thought Holly had the best chance of any of Ronda's opponents. Before the fight, I had said something along the lines of that I didn't think she would win, but she had all the tools to do it - counter-striking, a good grasp of distance, and a great camp that excelled at gameplanning. Many people, myself included, were so frustrated at the Ronda hype at the time because she showed she had many holes in her game, but all of her opponents were either terrible fighters or had terrible fight IQ.

Don't get me wrong; I was on the edge of my seat the whole fight, barely able to believe my eyes and sure Ronda was always just one good clinch away from an armbar victory. But the perspective on the fight wasn't quite as one-sided as you're making it out to be.

GOATS got destroyed in this thread... You don't see much WMMA being headlines on Sports Center but these two fights were epic...

Cyborg never went off the rails. As it turns out, Nunez is just really good. And she probably had a little luck on her side that night

I'd lean more toward the luck side of that. Nunes is successful, sure, but she gasses quickly and throws big, looping, telegraphed punches. She was just the only one who had the strength and desire to lure Cyborg into a brawl, and actually make something of it.

I mean, just watch the fight video TS posted. You can't tell me Nunes fought with anything close to resembling technical skill; she was just the first one to land a big punch (and then land several more after it).

Weirdly enough, the Holm one people actually saw coming within the last few days before the fight. In some interviews before the fight and at the weigh ins, signs of Ronda losing her mind and going of the rails had become noticed. Huge upset still, but the night before the fight a lot of sherdoggers were actually discussing this.

Ronda also looked like shit, way too soft compared to her prior fights.

Which one of these female title fights was the most shocking fight ?

Holly Holm knocking Ronda Rousey out, who was undefeated, considered the best female in the UFC and who is the biggest name ever in WMMA

Or

Amanda Nunes knocking Cris Cyborg out in 51 seconds, who was considered the most feared female fighter and was 13 years undefeated

?????

FREE FIGHTS

holly cause i picked amanda to win from day 1 vs cris the can crusher.

Back