Media Molecular test for mild traumatic brain injuries and concussion called ‘breakthrough device’ by FDA

acannxr

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
According to the Augusta Free Press a portable test that can diagnose signs of concussion and mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBIs) has received a ‘Breakthrough Device Designation’ from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The designation means the device will receive an expedited evaluation from the FDA once the product is deemed, by its creators, ready for public use.

The device was developed by BRAINBox Solutions, an innovator in the field of molecular diagnostics, which is focused on brain injuries. The company works alongside the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech. The device — which simultaneously tests for injury-related blood-protein biomarkers and evaluates highly sensitive imaging of the brain— is due for further testing at Virginia Tech. and its clinical partner Carillon Clinic.

“The FDA granted breakthrough designation of this new diagnostic approach from BRAINBox Solutions because it recognized how it benefits patients with an injury, especially those at greatest risk, including young people, athletes, soldiers, and the elderly, to be able to accurately and rapidly diagnosis mild traumatic brain injury,” said Michael Friedlander, the executive director of the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute and Virginia Tech’s vice president for health sciences and technology.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/6/...n-breakthrough-device-science-health-mma-news

If accurate, then definitely a breakthrough. I think it will lead to much shorter careers, though.

I am just glad that MMA gyms are more innovative and on with the times than the boxing/kickboxing gyms are in that they discourage brain trauma inducing sparring.

Most of CTE accumulates through practise and not from the relatively short amount during MMA fights, you can avoid a lot of blunt damage through wrestling, close clinches, and covering up to wait for the ref to stop it.

Last edited:
This will be the beginning of the end for combat sports, football and rugby.

It will take a couple of more generations, but I would expect youth participation rate to drastically fall.

I am just glad that MMA gyms are more innovative and with the times than boxing/kickboxing gyms in that they discourage brain trauma sparring.

Most of CTE accumulates through practise and not from the relatively short amount during MMA fights where you can avoid a lot of blunt damage through wrestling and close clinches and covering up while being down to wait for the ref stoppage.
I can see this effecting rules down the line. Much quicker stoppages and unsatisfying tko's.

We are gonna see shorter careers that's for sure if this thing is accurate. I think if you suffer 2 KOs maybe 3 you will be done. Guys like Overeem would be forced to retire much sooner. I don't know how to feel about this. We know strikes and blows to the head are bad. Who doesn't know this?

I wonder if the new tests might be able to pick up the slightest "CTE" possible and soon we all will know we have some sort of brain trauma, from banging our heads in a table when we were 9 or whatever the fuck. Kind of like USADA allegedly has this new testing equipment that makes them pick up picograms all of the sudden.

I can see this effecting rules down the line. Much quicker stoppages and unsatisfying tko's.
I think it's fine how it is, maybe more doctor stoppages in-between rounds of one sided beatdowns. I would like to see purse deductions fighters who add extra punches on clearly out opponents like Jeremy Stephans does.

According to the Augusta Free Press a portable test that can diagnose signs of concussion and mild traumatic brain injuries (mTBIs) has received a ‘Breakthrough Device Designation’ from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The designation means the device will receive an expedited evaluation from the FDA once the product is deemed, by its creators, ready for public use.

The device was developed by BRAINBox Solutions, an innovator in the field of molecular diagnostics, which is focused on brain injuries. The company works alongside the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at Virginia Tech. The device — which simultaneously tests for injury-related blood-protein biomarkers and evaluates highly sensitive imaging of the brain— is due for further testing at Virginia Tech. and its clinical partner Carillon Clinic.

“The FDA granted breakthrough designation of this new diagnostic approach from BRAINBox Solutions because it recognized how it benefits patients with an injury, especially those at greatest risk, including young people, athletes, soldiers, and the elderly, to be able to accurately and rapidly diagnosis mild traumatic brain injury,” said Michael Friedlander, the executive director of the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute and Virginia Tech’s vice president for health sciences and technology.

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2019/6/...n-breakthrough-device-science-health-mma-news

I'm confused
You posted "And" in the title
A MTBI is a concussion
I'm not sure this will have any drastic effect on the sport

Great.

Most people don’t know this but the bulk of brain trauma isn’t from the actual fights but from the accumulation of hard spars over the years.

Think if a guy has 10 fights he’s probably had over a 100 hard spars(extreme lowball)
Damage of the spars>Fights.

This new development could lead to less CTE.

Wow, great news. I'm going to ask my Doc about getting this done asap. I've had a minimum of 6 concussions and have been showing signs of CTE. 61yrs. old and not ready to be put in a nursing home just yet.

This will be the beginning of the end for combat sports, football and rugby.

It will take a couple of more generations, but I would expect youth participation rate to drastically fall.

nah people die every year in boxing and muay thai. It still goes on.

I'm confused
You posted "And" in the title
A MTBI is a concussion
I'm not sure this will have any drastic effect on the sport

Found the guy who didn't read the article. TS is quoting the source, which says verbatim:

"A portable test to help people suspected of having concussions or mild traumatic brain injuries has received a boost from the FDA."

It isn't his distinction, clearly it is the authors. That is just how they described it for clarity. Why would you comment (or even have an opinion) if you didn't bother to read the material?

Back