Conor and his low carb diet

FlyingDeathKick

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
From my understanding he eats a lot of red meat and very little carbs. For the nutriton experts out there what are the pros and cons of this kind of diet for MMA fighters? I know Conor is known for having bad cardio and looking gassed after hitting the pads for a couple of minutes. I know genetics play a role but it seems kind of weird for somebody that preaches "timing beats speed and precision beats power" to gas out as quick as he does. Somebody else that is noted for having a meat heavy and low carb diet + shit cardio is Joe Rogan. I've seen people talking like it's impossible to train hard while being on low carbs and also mention how gassed Joe looks after hitting pads for like 30 seconds.

So... What are the benefits of low carb diets for MMA? Has Conor been watching too many Joe Rogan podcasts or are there benefits to it?

It's called bro science and it's dangerously unhealthy…

It aged him faster

Pre Khabib
https%3A%2F%2Fhypebeast.com%2Fimage%2F2017%2F12%2Fconor-mcgregor-health-wellness-interview.jpg

bTBuWWC.gif

Post Khabib

Last edited:
Athletes need high fat and carbs. Conor is on a bodybuilding diet. It looks good but it's not good for performance.

Joe rogan? thats your example? he doesnt fight bro how the fuck do we know how good his cardio is, what the fuk

Is this now or when he was emaciating himself to 145?

Athletes need carbs. Unless you are a marathon runner who needs slow burning fuel like fat.

I recently did a low carb diet to lose some unnecessary weight. I had less power and less recovery while training. But it really depends on how low you go with the carbs.

Low carb diet meaning whiskey instead of Guinness.

I’ve heard about that submariner’s diet. I’ll pass, forever until the end of time. If you maroon on a desert island all there is to eat is, sea...

Who said that? We don’t know what’s he eats. I’m sure coach Kav he has it under control

Lets just say Conor's liver runs out of glycogen by the time he walks into the octagon.. then his body is in panic mode trying to make glucose out of protein and fat .. and voila.. Conor is gasping for air and this is very taxing to a professional athlete..

From my understanding he eats a lot of red meat and very little carbs. For the nutriton experts out there what are the pros and cons of this kind of diet for MMA fighters? I know Conor is known for having bad cardio and looking gassed after hitting the pads for a couple of minutes. I know genetics play a role but it seems kind of weird for somebody that preaches "timing beats speed and precision beats power" to gas out as quick as he does. Somebody else that is noted for having a meat heavy and low carb diet + shit cardio is Joe Rogan. I've seen people talking like it's impossible to train hard while being on low carbs and also mention how gassed Joe looks after hitting pads for like 30 seconds.

So... What are the benefits of low carb diets for MMA? Has Conor been watching too many Joe Rogan podcasts or are there benefits to it?
As an armchair dietician, the only type of athlete I'd not prohibit going on a low carb diet is an endurance athlete, everyone else should consume complex carbs in amounts needed to replenish their muscle glycogen stores properly. It is very possible to train very hard on a low carb diet as long as you eat your fats and get adapted to the diet properly, it's just not possible to train hard while performing anaerobic exercises.

Going on a low carb diet will not prevent you from developing good cardio, but it will prevent you from developing good muscle endurance and strength. Whatever problems Conor has with cardio have nothing to do with his diet, people can run marathons and swim huge distances on nothing but fats.

He should be eating a lot carbs and fat if he is planning on coming back in 2019 like Kav says, especially for a 5 rounder. I doubt Connor will ever be a 3-round fighter.

Only idiots eat carbs these days, try googling keto guys

Only idiots eat carbs these days, try googling keto guys
This is true for people who do not exercise or just perform aerobic exercises. For people who lift and train martial arts carbs are a must.

Bunch of fattys here... go eat your pop tarts.

You can be in a low carb diet and it is good for performance.

The problem is that Colon does not put the road work necessary and his whole style is about being explosive. Once his speed goes down even a little bit his whole style become useless.

All bodys are differents and if someone is on a high carb high fat diet like a lost poster said above (LMAO) he will probably get fat. Not everybody can get away with eating a bunch.

Back