Why doesnt the athletic commission let fighters wear wrestling shoes?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I just did a BJJ and Muay Thai class today. It’s amazing how slippery it gets on a mat covered with sweat and when you have sweaty feet. It makes being mobile and using good striking technique and throwing power so much more difficult and at times just impossible.

If guys could wear wrestling shoes in the ufc to avoid the slippery issue then fights would be more exciting.

I would imagine grippy rubber soles would tear skin on fighter's faces pretty easily. Probably hard to balance against that.

Also shoes make leg locks more damaging and much, much harder to escape.

They can ankle pick you easier.

Screenshot_3.png

I just did a BJJ and Muay Thai class today. It’s amazing how slippery it gets on a mat covered with sweat and when you have sweaty feet. It makes being mobile and using good striking technique and throwing power so much more difficult and at times just impossible.

If guys could wear wrestling shoes in the ufc to avoid the slippery issue then fights would be more exciting.
the kicking?? unfair advantage?

Because it's not wrestling?
Just call them mma shoes then. Boxers wear shoes for exactly the reason that slippery mats and sweaty feet make fights suck. Boxing shoes would be no good with kicks though; wrestling shoes are just essentially a piece of cloth with no weight; they’d be perfect for “mma shoes”.

the kicking?? unfair advantage?
Wrestling shoes don’t effect kicking beyond making you not slip and allowing you to use better technique and more power. They don’t weigh anything and sole and entire shoe is about the weight and thickness of a cloth. They’re pretty much just moccasins made out of a non slip material.

The real answer people don’t want to admit: state athletic commissions are known for their foot fetishes

Vitor is wearing shoes he will not be allowed to kick...

I think it’s just tradition. Asian martial arts are barefoot because they’re like hundreds to like a thousand years old. Kickboxing stems from that. Mma stems from those martial arts and kickboxing.

Tradition is sometimes wrong. Look at savate. They make shoes work.

Shoes are really bad if someone takes you down and you have a foot firmly planted. Can easily lead to knee blowouts.

Because they don't want Palhares to be champ.

More exciting would be flamethrowers in the cage. Be lit

In wrestling you dont get kicked in the head... which probably hurts even more with shoes on

Back