Can guys that fight Muay Thai with 4oz have success in the UFC?

SalvadorAllende

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I'm a big striking guy so I might be a little biased... but there are levels in striking and specially in the lighter weight classe where guys are faster and more athletic.

One of the reasons "K-1 level striking" didnt translate that well into MMA it was because guys with bigger gloves shield up (ala Overeem/Saki) to protect themselves which is impossible with 4 oz gloves. Others had more MMA-friendly styles and could adapt better (Adesanya).

Well.. ONE FC has been putting Muay Thai fights (K-1 rules too) with 4 oz gloves and the striking of these little fellas is amazing. I don't think there are many guys in MMA could hang with them. Guys Horiguchi or Cejudo come to my mind but they are the absolute elite.

Anyways... this MT guys are getting used to fight in small gloves so they have a different approach about defense and distance.

I can't help to think that if a few of those guys manage to develope some Jose Aldo level of TDD and sprawls (bif if) they will be able to be amongs the best.

What do sherdoggers think?

I exclude heavier weight classes because it seems is much easier to lay and pray guys there. At 125 and 135 guys are much more explosive and are harder to control on the ground.

no their brains are full of muay thai now, no room for wrestle.

I can't help to think that if a few of those guys manage to develope some Jose Aldo level of TDD and sprawls (bif if) they will be able to be amongs the best.

Yes. If I had world class striking and Jose Aldo-esque take down defense, then I'd be a title contender too.

And if @PrideJitZoo had world class striking and Jose Aldo-esque take down defense, then he wouldn't be getting tapped out by 115 pound girls.

Last edited:
Depends on the guy. Stick some 4oz gloves on some fat old 40 year old thai boxer and of course he'd not have success.

Depends on the style of the fighter. Some strikers (like Adesanya) have stance and style that fits MMA, others who prefer more close quarters striking struggle because MMA striking is different.

Your striking tends to start to look like shit once your biggest concern is being taken down. I mean they can learn but it sure ain't easy

I'm a big striking guy so I might be a little biased... but there are levels in striking and specially in the lighter weight classe where guys are faster and more athletic.

One of the reasons "K-1 level striking" didnt translate that well into MMA it was because guys with bigger gloves shield up (ala Overeem/Saki) to protect themselves which is impossible with 4 oz gloves. Others had more MMA-friendly styles and could adapt better (Adesanya).

Well.. ONE FC has been putting Muay Thai fights (K-1 rules too) with 4 oz gloves and the striking of these little fellas is amazing. I don't think there are many guys in MMA could hang with them. Guys Horiguchi or Cejudo come to my mind but they are the absolute elite.

Anyways... this MT guys are getting used to fight in small gloves so they have a different approach about defense and distance.

I exclude heavier weight classes because it seems is much easier to lay and pray guys there. At 125 and 135 guys are much more explosive and are harder to control on the ground.

this has been done to death

use the search bar

with that said... THEY ARE DIFFERENT SPORTS

If take down defense is good, they will do good, if take defense bad... they will spend the fight on their back getting GnP'd so not good...

Anyone can be successful in the UFC if they have high level fighting skills and train for it appropriately.

Any other dumbass questions?

I'd wanna just see how many MMA guys Liam Harrison could drop with just leg kicks.

Back