Can someone explain OneFC current champions to me?

Destino2018

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching DJ and Eddie fight and it seems like this is gonna be a pretty wild ride in this new environment and I wanted to know from the hardcore fans what are the champions for each division like? Like the champ in DJ’s division what does he fight like and same goes for Eddie. Are these guys more legit than the champs in Bellator or UFC or are they about equal to them overall.

Finally got around to watching DJ and Eddie fight and it seems like this is gonna be a pretty wild ride in this new environment and I wanted to know from the hardcore fans what are the champions for each division like? Like the champ in DJ’s division what does he fight like and same goes for Eddie. Are these guys more legit than the champs in Bellator or UFC or are they about equal to them overall.
They don't cut weight or trash talk, which makes them morally superior.

They are building their ranks and making home grown stars. They also give a platform for MT/Kickboxing champs to fight.

I think it's cool to see how it develops. Last week, the guy Askren finished in the first round beat Akiyama.

I like ONE FC and Bellator-Rizin. Hope they develop more and more.

They are all very skilled fighters, imo. I don't watch a lot of ONE but everytime I watch I'm surprised by how high-level it is.
In my humble opinion it's a better product than Bellator, even.

The champs and preferred fighters load their gloves there.

I can tell you that their live events are excellent. I'm not up on all of the fighters or divisions. But they have some very skilled fighters there. And because a lot of the fighters are not on exclusive contracts, they can have champions from other sports and orgs.... Muay Thai and Kickboxing being mainstays.

It's good stuff.

Note pounds are not technically accurate, but are pragmatically accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ONE_Championship_champions

Strawweight
Current strawweight champ is Joshua Pacio. The entire strawweight division has been a rollercoaster ride, which I made a thread about here: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...cios-first-strawweight-title-defence.3882925/. There have been 6 separate champions in this division, and only once has a champion successfully defended his title. Pacio is expected to make his "first" defence against Hayato Suzuki. Pacio is up there as the world's best strawweight right now with Haruo Ochi, Sunabe, and Kitakada.

Flyweight
Current champ is Adriano Moraes. He's good, and has beaten all of ONE's "old" blood (Geje Eustaqio and Kairat Akhmetov namely), but hasn't fought the new blood: Danny Kingad, Yuya Wakamatsu, Tatsumitsu Wada, or Demetrious Johnson. DJ will crush him, and I doubt he could beat any of those other three guys.

Bantamweight
Longtime champ Bibiano Fernandes lost his title in a close rematch to Kevin Belingon. In the trilogy, Belingon got DQ'ed for throwing a knee to Bibiano's head on the ground. Fourth fight likely next. Neither of these guys would be top 10 in the UFC though.

Featherweight
ONE's long time champ was Marat Gafurov, who was considered to be a blue chip prospect -- until he got KO'ed by Martin Nguyen (current champ), and then KO'ed again by Koyomi Matsushima. Nguyen went on to move up to lightweight to win the 155 title, to become ONE's first two division champ. He then moved down to bantamweight and lost a close decision to Fernandes. Nguyen subsequently vacated the lightweight title, and is only the champ at featherweight right now. Decent fighter, but not top 20 in the world.

Lightweight
Like strawweight, the lightweight divsion has been a rollercoaster ride for ONE. Shinya Aoki recently won back his title, only to lose it in his first defence to Christian Lee. Lee is a decent fighter, but not top 30 in the world.

Welterweight
Askren defended his title three times before coming to UFC. New champ, Kadestam crowned in late 2018. He's overall unimpressive, and would not be competitive in the UFC.

Middleweight/Light heavyweight
Current champ is aung la nsang in both divisions. He's a big fish in a small pond, and since winning the middleweight title in 2017 against Vitaly Bigdash, he's had nothing but overmatched opponents. Not top 20 in the UFC.

Heavyweight
Brandon Vera is the champ in this joke of a division.

Strawweight
Current strawweight champ is Joshua Pacio. The entire strawweight division has been a rollercoaster ride, which I made a thread about here: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/...cios-first-strawweight-title-defence.3882925/. There have been 6 separate champions in this division, and only once has a champion successfully defended his title. Pacio is expected to make his "first" defence against Hayato Suzuki. Pacio is up there as the world's best strawweight right now with Haruo Ochi, Sunabe, and Kitakada.

Flyweight
Current champ is Adriano Moraes. He's good, and has beaten all of ONE's "old" blood (Geje Eustaqio and Kairat Akhmetov namely), but hasn't fought the new blood: Danny Kingad, Yuya Wakamatsu, Tatsumitsu Wada, or Demetrious Johnson. DJ will crush him, and I doubt he could beat any of those other three guys.

Bantamweight
Longtime champ Bibiano Fernandes lost his title in a close rematch to Kevin Belingon. In the trilogy, Belingon got DQ'ed for throwing a knee to Bibiano's head on the ground. Fourth fight likely next. Neither of these guys would be top 10 in the UFC though.

Featherweight
ONE's long time champ was Marat Gafurov, who was considered to be a blue chip prospect -- until he got KO'ed by Martin Nguyen (current champ), and then KO'ed again by Koyomi Matsushima. Nguyen went on to move up to lightweight to win the 155 title, to become ONE's first two division champ. He then moved down to bantamweight and lost a close decision to Fernandes. Nguyen subsequently vacated the lightweight title, and is only the champ at featherweight right now. Decent fighter, but not top 20 in the world.

Lightweight
Like strawweight, the lightweight divsion has been a rollercoaster ride for ONE. Shinya Aoki recently won back his title, only to lose it in his first defence to Christian Lee. Lee is a decent fighter, but not top 30 in the world.

Welterweight
Askren defended his title three times before coming to UFC. New champ, Kadestam crowned in late 2018. He's overall unimpressive, and would not be competitive in the UFC.

Current champ is aung la nsang in both divisions. He's a big fish in a small pond, and since winning the middleweight title in 2017 against Vitaly Bigdash, he's had nothing but overmatched opponents. Not top 20 in the UFC.

Heavyweight
So the champs are somewhat mediocre is what you’re saying. That’s kinda disappointing but that makes me even more excited to see DJ thrive over here and as someone who doubted him while he was in the UFC, I want him to dominate over here.

So the champs are somewhat mediocre is what you’re saying. That’s kinda disappointing but that makes me even more excited to see DJ thrive over here and as someone who doubted him while he was in the UFC, I want him to dominate over here.
the champs are mediocre but there's still tons of talent in all the divisions.

at 155 for instance you have guys like lowen tynanes and arslanaliev who remain massive prospects.

strawweight and flyweight are completely stacked though, and ONE is by far the world's leading promotion for both divisions right now.

They are all very skilled fighters, imo. I don't watch a lot of ONE but everytime I watch I'm surprised by how high-level it is.
In my humble opinion it's a better product than Bellator, even.

If you care for the smaller weight classes, it may be a better product than Bellator indeed

Overall the product they put out isn't to bad.

But the depth is very lacking and even the top fighters are very questionable as whole. Very few champs can even defend their belts. They have a lot of talent that is solid but very few really stand out and that is why you see titles kind of flopping back forth frequently. EndlessCritic went through it all.

One is very big on the hometown pop approach. For all the money they raise and lose its quite shocking that they haven't been a very big player in the free agent market on one hand and on the other its shocking they are still in business and still raise capital. I don't know where that money is going but its puzzling.

Here is good article and at the start links another more recent article. https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulgi...nancial-metrics-since-inception/#7eaadff6470e

Flyweight
Adriano Moraes already beat Kingad. Recently.

giphy.gif

Adriano Moraes already beat Kingad. Recently.

giphy.gif
I think I blocked this from my memory. (Although... just goes to show I wrote the entire above post without looking at fightfinder!)

Kingad has looked so good since this loss I've basically pretended it's never happened.

I think I blocked this from my memory. (Although... just goes to show I wrote the entire above post without looking at fightfinder!)

Kingad has looked so good since this loss I've basically pretended it's never happened.
Kingad vs. Kairat should be competitive. This whole flyweight tournament is very difficult to walk away as champion from.

Strawweight

Flyweight

Bantamweight

Featherweight

Lightweight

Welterweight

Heavyweight

Strawweight

Flyweight

Bantamweight

Featherweight

Lightweight

Welterweight

Heavyweight

WW is underrated in ONE imo. Has quietly build a solid roster with room for improvement.
Kadestam is improving everytime. He is pretty solid all around nowadays and could certainly be competitive in UFC.
So would Abbasov, Santos, Nakashima, McGuire or Kichigin imo.
Not tittle contenders but certainly competitive, and even ranked with the right matchups.
Not sure how dealing with Usada and weightcuts would affect though, especially to some of them

Back