Media So Artem's Strategy is gonna be Clinch Striking..Are MMA Fighters really better in the Clinch?

Serenity Now

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This is one of the most interesting things about the boxing vs MMA debate...How would a boxer fair against an MMA fighter if Clinch Striking was aloud(Punching of course).

Artem seems to think that Paulie will be weak in the clinch because it isn't really used in boxing.

Time Stamped.

Conor claimed the same thing before he fought Floyd

Of course we all saw Floyd destroy Conor in the clinch, Conor never outmuscles him...Floyd destroyed him in it..Granted Conor couldn't use his hands like in MMA but this is prove that boxers aren't that bad in the clinch like MMA fighters think.

After the fight, Conor said Floyd was strong in the clinch on his instagram

Strong in the clinch. Great understanding of frames and head position. He has some very strong tools he could bring into an MMA game for sure.

So it's Artem wrong for thinking Paulie will automatically suck in the clinch?

wrong cuz boxers do learn i believe how to attack and defend, outside collar ties maybe, with no knees allowed i would be surprised lobov had sig advantage in clinch if at all.

i think biggest weapon for lobov is literally his head. hope paulie break his hands punching him.

I didn't watch those videos, but I'm curious, TS, if he meant this?

https://mymmanews.com/everything-bare-knuckle-fighting-championship/
They will be allowed to clinch and “Dirty Boxing” if you will is also allowed. Fighters will be able to throw punches in the open clinch or in a Muay Thai style clinch that includes grabbing the back of the neck.
Which of course was not allowed in MayMac.

Regardless, yes, Artem will try to make it as ugly as possible.

Does Artem even have the reach to punch Paulie in the face while clinching?

For some reason sherdoggers think boxers don't know how to dirty box.

Of course we all saw Floyd destroy Conor in the clinch, Conor never outmuscles him...Floyd destroyed him in it..Granted Conor couldn't use his hands like in MMA but this is prove that boxers aren't that bad in the clinch like MMA fighters think.
MMA always seems to think non-MMA competitors can't make any adjustments in a different venue. Or alternatively, their weapons are too slotted into the common occurrences they encounter on home ground.

We if one listens to MMA Analysts / pundits, they are constantly grappling & struggling with how best to apply their art. They so often themselves in the very shoes they claim they wear so well then don't.

The bottom line is skills and Fight IQ, as it were in MMA terms. A robotic brawler isn't going to be looking @ making adjustments. A skilled boxer is gonna be sizin' up his opponent & tailoring his tactics. What or which we will see I don't know.

I hope Paulie KOs Artem
Just to see your reaction
Pro boxer with street fight exp> bum MMA fighter who can't reach his own pockets

The lack of traditional boxing glove puts the clinch game in artems favour highly imo so i could see artem going fir the clinch but realistically to beat him artem needs to make it a brawl or he will probably get jabbed into another realm of existence

Inside fighting is a big part of boxing. Henry Armstrong, Jack Johnson, Roberto Duran won a lot of their fights by inside fighting. As another poster remarked, the only thing not allowed is hitting from a collar tie, but boxers get around that by releasing the collar tie just before the punch lands. I remember Mayweather saying to his corner that Hatton doesn’t know how to fight on the inside, and proceeded to tie him up whenever he got on the inside and chew him up in the clinch.

I didn't watch those videos, but I'm curious, TS, if he meant this?

https://mymmanews.com/everything-bare-knuckle-fighting-championship/
They will be allowed to clinch and “Dirty Boxing” if you will is also allowed. Fighters will be able to throw punches in the open clinch or in a Muay Thai style clinch that includes grabbing the back of the neck.
Which of course was not allowed in MayMac.

Regardless, yes, Artem will try to make it as ugly as possible.
I think this is a better summary of his strategy, I doubt he is banking on technically out clinching Paulie lmao.

Not exactly a bad idea considering in boxing the ref always breaks up clinching, but as others have said, just because its not allowed in boxing, doesnt mean boxers dont train how to land shots in the clinch. The question will be, who is better at landing in the clinch.

SBG Game Planning Hat for Artem.

The others side of the Artem / SBG clinching proposal is that they have to have something to hang their game planning hat on in the ring. MMA coaching so often hinges on the 'Game Plan.'

If one considers the implications of that, it only affirms MMA's intractability itself in adjusting to an opponent or the demand of the fight, because a 'plan' substitutes for what,? 'skill.'

Game Planning Isn't the MMA Pancea Some Would Have You Believe.

An excellent WMMA example of this is Ronda's stunning loss to Holm; then Holm's stifled difficulty with post-Ronda opponents.

This is additional evidence that SBG the whole gig is over-rated martially... with a this simplistic game plan talk. Where's all these high level skill's Matt Thornton's theory is reported to produce? I put up those gifs of Mendes clocking Conor good & sending him scooting backwards... Mendes handily taking Conor down. SBG didn't add any glacial shift in skill to Conor's fighiting, as those clips bear out.

Lobov going this clinch route could prove a boon, or a boom (if you get what I mean). We shall see stay tuned MMA fans.

Last edited:
I’m kind of curious are you allowed to do wrist control in bare knuckle? There’s certainly no technical reason you can’t do it and that’s another clinch technique that modern boxers wouldn’t be familiar with.

My God some of you. Lets put it this way. Artem would have lasted less than a round against Cotto. Where is Artem in the Boxrec database? I can't find him.

Paulie always executes his team's game plan and has great timing and the skill to keep fights on the outside. The guy is very good at pivoting (changing angles) and fighting off of his back foot . How will Artem get to the inside? He has horrible head movement. He will walk into shot after shot from Paulie until the fight is stopped.

Letting a non-boxer get in the ring against a guy who won two world titles in two different weight classes in boxing is borderline criminal. No wonder many states wouldn't sanction this.

DOUBLE CHAMP's FACE WILL REMAIN UNTOUCHED AND BEAUTIFUL.
Paulie-Malignaggi-Bespoke-Suit-Tailored.jpg

artem is just the sacrificial lamb for Conor vs Paulie

I hope Paulie KOs Artem
Just to see your reaction
Pro boxer with street fight exp> bum MMA fighter who can't reach his own pockets
WTF are you talking about?

I literally said that it seems boxers are good in the clinch...I was simply asking a question.

Im rooting for Paulie, dumbass...and I think paulie will win.

It was so funny Conor saying he's gonna wreck Floyd in the clinch, bounce his head off the canvas, etc,.

He got outmuscled by a dude significantly smaller than him & made Floyd look like Shane Mosley punch wise <28>

Another strategy that I haven’t seen anyone but Artem himself talk about is that with only five two minute rounds, Artem is going to be able rush Pauley and make it much more of a brawl than a technical boxing match.

I suspect his strategy is going to be constantly rushing in with punches then collar tie and dirty box. It’s kind of like Maidana Mayweather 1, except it’s much easier to keep up that strategy for 10 minutes than 36.

Back