Should MMA only take place in smaller arenas/venue?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
Just read about that apex arena that they built and it got me thinking. What if all events were held in smaller arenas like the pearl at palms, or the joint sized rooms that only held a few thousand people. If you have ever been to one of the bigger events you know that anyone sitting above the promenades are just going to watch it on the monitors. Nose bleeds might as well stay home and watch it from your couch.

Mega events are cool, but I am not sure if its the future of fighting except for Conor or mega PPV events. UFC 240 apparently only has sold 25% of its tickets. How about instead of half filling a 10k areana, sell out a 5k arena? It looks really bad on the broadcast when half the seats are empty.

They also use the smaller cage in smaller venues, which almost always leads to more stoppages and action because fighters can't run as much. The only reason the need a large cage is so it doesn't seem so small in large venues.

Fun fact: Bellator uses a 36 feet cage. The WEC was 25 feet, UFC big cage is 30 feet.

WM31_03292015ca_2266.jpg

I been to local mma events and even with seats in the second row, i prefer to watch on the big screen. But i dont agree that smaller arena's are the future of any event.

I prefer the smaller octagon too.

I have no opinion about how many seats are empty (as they always are - large or small arena - in prelims) or their business decision of small or large arenas. I imagine UFC bean counters are on top of it.

I been to local mma events and even with seats in the second row, i prefer to watch on the big screen. But i dont agree that smaller arena's are the future of any event.

So regardless you would prefer to watch it from home? I have a hard time justifying an expensive ticket if I am just going watch it on the monitor.

UFC 238, which had a pretty average main event had 16000 people there and a gate of over $2million....yeah small arenas aren’t going to work

UFC 238, which had a pretty average main event had 16000 people there and a gate of over $2million....yeah small arenas aren’t going to work

Right. Chicago (238) sold out, Edmonton (240) isn't. It might just be that simple.

I remember they came to Seattle once and it sold out. So they came again a few years later and it sold less than half. They never came back.

Could be that UFC is just not always perfect at judging regional marketability.

I forgot how good a swig of cold Gatorade can be

I enjoy the smaller venues for live events. I have been to IFL and Bellator fights at small places and they were great. The IFL used a boxing ring instead of a cage, that was WAY better for watching live! I have been to one UFC event and prefered watching on TV.

Back