Old Guard Vs New Guard UFC matchups

FlowchartRog

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I've been enjoying some old school UFC events recently (1-12 are my favourite), and it got me thinking, how would the original guard do Vs the current crop of fighters in modern day UFC?

Obviously the sport has progressed a LOT. Today's fighters are so well rounded and polished, they bear little resemblance to the Tank Abbotts, Keith Hackneys and Scott Ferrozos of early UFCs. Or even Royce Gracies.

So to even things up a bit, the old guard have a big size advantage.

Pick a winner. UFC 1 rules.

Royce Gracie Vs Henry Cejudo (the original dominant force of MMA, vs a tiny well rounded manlet). 175 pounds Vs Cejudo, 145?

Kebab Vs Paul Varelans (The Eagle who wrestles bears, Vs the 330lb Polar Bear). 175 pounds Vs 330 pounds.

Conor McGregory Vs Tank Abbott (two of the most fearsome punchers in UFC history do battle, both with awful stamina). 170 pounds Vs 280 pounds.

Max Holloway Vs Ken Shamrock
(a pretty good MMA boxer Vs shootfighting) 165 pounds Vs 220 pounds.

Usman Vs Dan Severn (Two really good wrestlers). 195 pounds Vs 240 pounds.

Whittaker Vs Randy (A solid all rounder Vs a beastly wrestler) 200 pounds vs 220 pounds.

Adesanya Vs Randleman (a tall skinny kickboxer Vs a short highly explosive and powerful wrestler). 200 pounds vs 225 pounds.

Mighty Mouse Vs Gerard Gordeau
(A 6'5 kickboxer Vs a well rounded tiny little manlet. MM would have the advantage of being able to run between Gerard's legs, to disorient him). 125 pounds Vs 216 pounds.

Keith Hackney Vs Amanda Nunes (WMMA's best, Vs a very crude early UFC competitor) 200 pounds Vs 155 pounds.

Dustin Poirier Vs Don Frye
(a good MMA boxer Vs arguably the original "wrestleboxer"). 175 pounds Vs 205 pounds.

Last edited:
<Dylan>
When you look into kinda some tough choices.

conor beats tank via toehold

lol, no. Genuinely curious as to who people would pick in all these fights.

I've been enjoying some old school UFC events recently (1-12 are my favourite), and it got me thinking, how would the original guard do Vs the current crop of fighters in modern day UFC?

Obviously the sport has progressed a LOT. Today's fighters are so well rounded and polished, they bear little resemblance to the Tank Abbotts, Keith Hackneys and Scott Ferrozos of early UFCs. Or even Royce Gracies.

So to even things up a bit, the old guard have a big size advantage.

Pick a winner. UFC 1 rules.

Royce Gracie Vs Henry Cejudo (the original dominant force of MMA, vs a tiny well rounded manlet).

Kebab Vs Paul Varelans (The Eagle who wrestles bears, Vs the 330lb Polar Bear).

Conor McGregory Vs Tank Abbott (two of the most fearsome punchers in UFC history do battle, both with awful stamina).

Max Holloway Vs Ken Shamrock
(a pretty good MMA boxer Vs shootfighting)

Usman Vs Dan Severn (Two really good wrestlers).

Whittaker Vs Randy (A solid all rounder Vs a beastly wrestler).

Adesanya Vs Randleman (a tall skinny kickboxer Vs a short highly explosive and powerful wrestler).

Mighty Mouse Vs Gerard Gordeau
(A 6'5 kickboxer Vs a well rounded tiny little manlet. MM would have the advantage of being able to run between Gerard's legs, to disorient him).

Keith Hackney Vs Amanda Nunes (WMMA's best, Vs a very crude early UFC competitor)

Dustin Poirier Vs Don Frye
(a good MMA boxer Vs arguably the original "wrestleboxer").

I will answer tomorrow

Too much thought for tonight bro lol

Gordeau would murder MM without breaking a sweat or a smile.

Randleman vs Adesanya is potentially the worst fantasy match up I have ever seen.

Gordeau would murder MM without breaking a sweat or a smile.

What if MM tried to do the Borg flying armbar?

But yeah, Gordeau Vs MM could get ugly. He could do what he did to Tuli, with MM still standing.

Royce Gracie Vs Henry Cejudo
Cejudo would piece Gracie up standing. Royce had no standup to speak of and has no hope of getting a takedown against olympic gold medalist despite the size difference. Even his BJJ is not that great by today's standards.

Kebab Vs Paul Varelans
I have to go with Khabib here.
Conor McGregory Vs Tank Abbott
Tank Abbott most likely with a brutal KO.

Same reaction. This shit is weird. Amanda Nunes vs Keith Hackney might be the strangest shit I've read so far here.
I mean, I don't know anything at all about Keith Hackney nor will I pretend to, but the fact that he was 200 pounds and 6 feet tall seems a bit unfair to a female bantamweight/featherweight.

Honestly, I have no idea about these matchups.

I mean, I don't know anything at all about Keith Hackney nor will I pretend to, but the fact that he was 200 pounds and 6 feet tall seems a bit unfair to a female bantamweight/featherweight.

Honestly, I have no idea about these matchups.

I put that one on for the lolz as well as MM vs Gordeau, and it's all just a bit of fun, but the others are more legit.

In theory the modern small fighters should be able to win. Early UFC was basically full of good fighters beating up much bigger, less skilled fighters.

Royce vs Cejudo - I dont know
Kabib - too fast - punch , low single , strangle
Tank - bigger + All American wrestler
Shammy - bigger + wrestler
Severn - bigger
Whittaker vs Handy - I dont know because Yoel
Randleman vs Adesanya - I dont know
MM - Too fast ,Take down and strangle
Keith Hackney - Because man + too big
Frye - Bigger , better wrestler

You really want to.kill most of the new breeds by making open weight and gender?

Back