Overrated fighters who become underated fighters

I am the Walrus

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I have noticed a trend of some fighters being so heavily promoted/hyped that they get the reputation as being overrated by hardcore mma fans. The fact that these fighters get favorable match ups, undeserved title shots or media attention does not endear them to the hardcore base.

Often the pendulum swings too far in the other direction and they become "underrated" by the hardcore mma fan base.

Examples - Connor , Ronda, Brock, Colby, Chael

What other fighters historically have been "underrated" by the hardcore fans because they are "overrated"

Conor and Ronda are great examples. If you put your feelings aside, Conor is a great mma fighter, sorry haters. Ronda just looked stupid shadow boxing

Not sure if Conor was ever underrated. People just questioned whether he could hang with big wrestlers.

So overrated that they Are underrated...

tenor.gif

I hate the guy but Charles Olivera has really come into his own lately.
He used to just be this slick jiujitsu guy with a weak heart and serviceable standup. In his last couple fights he’s really turned the corner and has made a climb back up the rankings.

I hate the guy but Charles Olivera has really come into his own lately.
He used to just be this slick jiujitsu guy with a weak heart and serviceable standup. In his last couple fights he’s really turned the corner and has made a climb back up the rankings.
Why you hate Aloe Vera

Why you hate Aloe Vera
I just never liked him since early in his career, eating McDonald’s before weight cuts, complains and milks things a lot (also fouls), he quits easily and has no heart.
And I’d better stop now before I get tagged for fighter bashing lol. Anyway reasons I’m not a fan.
However I can appreciate good fighting and technique all day, his submission game and the way he’s been using standing elbows of lately are fantastic.

Colby is the most underrated UFC fighter for the fans,even the hardcore fans,people sleep on him but the top
fighters in the game they hear what going on in Colby sparring sessions.

Besides the ones already mentioned
Pettis
Nick Diaz
Barboza
Glover
Masvidal
Chael
Rockhold probably
Cowboy everytime he is on a winning or losing streak
Rumble

There are more and probably better examples.
Most of those are more based on more hardcore fans dickriding people when they win or shitting on them when they lose.

Khabib turned Conor from GOAT to nothing special and just a standup fighter, within a span of one fight. I think Conor is the best example of being quite overrated to now quite underrated.

Ngannou fell fast, happy to see his reputation has somewhat recovered
Yep

He lost to Stipe and Sherdoggers suddenly came to the conclusion that anyone could outwrestle him, despite Ngannou having already beat Blaydes who was one of the best wrestlers in the division

Back