Urijah "Groundhog Day" Faber Loses Another Title Fight (To a Teenager)

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Urijah Faber Outpointed by Nicky Ryan

nicky-ryan-1.jpg

Teenage jiu-jitsu standout Nicky Ryan’s persistence paid off against 40-year-old UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber despite a tactical stalemate.

Faber’s aggressive tactics weren’t enough to win the day, and Ryan took home a unanimous decision to defend his Polaris featherweight title.

Ryan’s distance win capped off Polaris 10, which took place at Lighthouse in Poole, Dorset, U.K., and streamed on UFC Fight Pass.

Appearing on the mats for the first time since floating the idea of an MMA comeback, Faber did everything in his power to stop Ryan’s lightning-quick transitions. That involved everything short of actual punching, with repeated open-handed slaps and smacks that prompted the referee to issue a warning.

Ryan managed to find a way through, however, securing position on an inside heel hook. The attempt clearly got Faber’s attention, because he rolled off the mat to avoid it. An argument ensued over position before referees dragged the pair wholesale to center mat.

The submission wasn’t to be for Ryan, and sweat turned into his biggest hindrance as the bare-chested Faber stayed firm on his knees and shut down attacks before they could materialize. Faber leaped a few times for his guillointe choke, but Ryan was well-prepared for his opponent’s signature move.

In the end, Ryan had to be satisfied with a decision over a MMA legend.

“It’s definitely tough to try and go after someone and repeatedly get palmed in the face,” he said. “It’s also hard to make grips because he’s shirtless, so my grips were just sliding off. Overall, very disappointed with my performance. I would have much rather have been able to submit him.”

The frustration wasn’t limited to Faber, who retired from active MMA competition in 2016 and had previously shared mat time with Ryan as a training partner.

“Nicky and I got a chance to roll a couple of months back, and I was aware of his back-takes and he was aware of my chokes,” he said. “I told Nicky after the match, from a fighting standpoint, you box a fighter, and you fight a boxer, and he’s a technician. I think the difference there with one of the best grapplers in the world, he had a specific game plan, I had a specific game plan, and his butt-scooting was first.”

Faber noted his respect for Ryan and said his age certainly wasn’t an advantage. But it did get him back in the swing of things.

“I’m thinking about fighting here in a couple of months, and this was a little tune-up to get my weight down and get prepared for battle,” he said.

Full Polaris 10 results:

Nicky Ryan def. Urijah Faber via unanimous decision

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/polaris-10-results-urijah-faber-outpointed-by-nicky-ryan

Related:

Last edited:
Faber lost to a 10 year old lol

Faber -Volkanovski to avenge Mendes & Aldo :0

Faber should start his own promotion so he can have another titleshot whenever he wants (against whomever he wants, including women and children).

Team alpha male As a whole is a bunch of likeable clowns.

I can’t say I know what Urijah is very good at except for having lots of friends who do MMA.

Mendez, Garbrandt, and Dillashaw are a bunch of PED using bums.

I know Cody didn’t get caught, but he basically admitted T.J. taught them how to do steroids.

No shame in losing to Nicky, who just won the west coast adcc trials. He is not just an average teenager.

It was a good fight for Nicky? A passing of the torch is natural interaction between elders and the young. Personally, I loved seeing Urijah shutdown that leg-lock dependent, sub-system of jiu jitsu, and make it a rough n tumble affair. I bet Urijah didn't wash his butt chin for a week before this match, giving added experience points for Nicky!

Urijah back to his old cheating ways by the sounds of it that kid is lucky he didn't lose an eye

No shame in losing to Nicky, who just won the west coast adcc trials. He is not just an average teenager.

Then hopefully he understands that with great power comes great responsibility.

Urijah back to his old cheating ways by the sounds of it that kid is lucky he didn't lose an eye

lol So now Faber had a rep as a "cheater" during his career??

The haters in MMA are really bottom-barrel.

Urijah Faber Outpointed by Nicky Ryan

nicky-ryan-1.jpg

Teenage jiu-jitsu standout Nicky Ryan’s persistence paid off against 40-year-old UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber despite a tactical stalemate.

Faber’s aggressive tactics weren’t enough to win the day, and Ryan took home a unanimous decision to defend his Polaris featherweight title.

Ryan’s distance win capped off Polaris 10, which took place at Lighthouse in Poole, Dorset, U.K., and streamed on UFC Fight Pass.

Appearing on the mats for the first time since floating the idea of an MMA comeback, Faber did everything in his power to stop Ryan’s lightning-quick transitions. That involved everything short of actual punching, with repeated open-handed slaps and smacks that prompted the referee to issue a warning.

Ryan managed to find a way through, however, securing position on an inside heel hook. The attempt clearly got Faber’s attention, because he rolled off the mat to avoid it. An argument ensued over position before referees dragged the pair wholesale to center mat.

The submission wasn’t to be for Ryan, and sweat turned into his biggest hindrance as the bare-chested Faber stayed firm on his knees and shut down attacks before they could materialize. Faber leaped a few times for his guillointe choke, but Ryan was well-prepared for his opponent’s signature move.

In the end, Ryan had to be satisfied with a decision over a MMA legend.

“It’s definitely tough to try and go after someone and repeatedly get palmed in the face,” he said. “It’s also hard to make grips because he’s shirtless, so my grips were just sliding off. Overall, very disappointed with my performance. I would have much rather have been able to submit him.”

The frustration wasn’t limited to Faber, who retired from active MMA competition in 2016 and had previously shared mat time with Ryan as a training partner.

“Nicky and I got a chance to roll a couple of months back, and I was aware of his back-takes and he was aware of my chokes,” he said. “I told Nicky after the match, from a fighting standpoint, you box a fighter, and you fight a boxer, and he’s a technician. I think the difference there with one of the best grapplers in the world, he had a specific game plan, I had a specific game plan, and his butt-scooting was first.”

Faber noted his respect for Ryan and said his age certainly wasn’t an advantage. But it did get him back in the swing of things.

“I’m thinking about fighting here in a couple of months, and this was a little tune-up to get my weight down and get prepared for battle,” he said.

Full Polaris 10 results:

Nicky Ryan def. Urijah Faber via unanimous decision

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/polaris-10-results-urijah-faber-outpointed-by-nicky-ryan

Related:

Its almost like jiu jitsu and MMA are different sports??

In other news conor mcgregor loses to Floyd mayweather in boxing

Is Urijah retired from MMA? I cant remember

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back