Diaz or Pettis?

nick jacoby

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Seems like a great matchup for Diaz on paper. We all know the Diaz brothers bring insane volume, pressure and cardio... and Pettis has had some fights where he has folded against pressure fighters/strikers. Holloway and Ferguson obviously are the two best examples.

It takes a lot to put away Nate Diaz. He has a chin and a half and you know he's not going to get tired. Josh Thompson was able to catch him with a head kick and follow up punches... And we know that Pettis has some of the most dangerous kicks in the game. And we can't ignore that he Ko'd Wonderboy in his last fight. But Diaz is coming off an almost 3 year layoff. That's pretty nuts. Who else has done that succesfully? Dom Cruz? If this was 2 years ago I wouldn't even hesitate to pick Diaz by stoppage...

Anyways after that rant my pick is......... Pettis by TKO... He has remained active and has big momentum

On any other occasion id pick diaz, wait a second, im still picking diaz. Pettis isn't knocking him out, or submitting him. I like pettis, but his only way to get it done is with kicks, which will be hard to do on his back foot.

Nates probably gonna pop him in the face like he usually does to people. Layoff or not, he trains everyday anyway. He's a vet enough to where layoff means nothing realy.

But now if Pettis comes out and throws constant leg kicks like he did to Wonderbread, it could be a wholllle different fight lol. Either way I'm friggin excited, as everyone should be

Nate has good boxing, but I believe Pettis wins by UD
- ring rust for Nate
- Pettis KOed Wonderboy
- Nate has a worse history of losing
- Pettis faced better competition

Pettis has been more active and has been the best fighters even in losses. Ferguson & Thompson.

Taking Pettis just by activity alone. Diaz has the better hands though.

Pettis kicks his consciousness into the stands.

Pettis is just the better fighter lay off or not. FFS he beat the guy twice that throttled Nate 50-43.

Nate wins by freak injury aka I don’t want to get knocked out (see: the Poirier fight)

Pettis kicks his consciousness into the stands.

Pettis is just the better fighter lay off or not. FFS he beat the guy twice that throttled Nate 50-43.

You should know MMA math does not work. And especially in this situation

Benson Henderson out wrestled Diaz and pushed him against the cage. Pettis NEVER does that to his opponents. He always wants to keep the fight standing

Pettis doesn't do well against pressure fighters, however with the long lay off for Diaz I would favor Pettis.

Pettis is about 5x as skilled but Nate uses what he has as well as any limited fighter and has more heart

Gonna have to go Pettis just because i have no reason to believe anything else

Depends how effective Pettis can be with his leg kicks and avoiding pressure. Or Nate doesn't give a shit and is just showing up for a paycheck.

Pettis had problems with Ferguson's hands and reach. Diaz has about the same reach, meaning he'll have over a 3 inch advantage, and he's also a bit taller. Not to mention that Nate has better hands and comparable cardio.

That said, I'd still be shocked if Diaz can handle the leg kicks. Would laugh really hard if we see the return of Lumpinee Nate, and it turns into a dirty boxing and clinch war.

Nate has good boxing, but I believe Pettis wins by UD
- ring rust for Nate
- Pettis KOed Wonderboy
- Nate has a worse history of losing
- Pettis faced better competition

20160305102414_GettyImages513969822.JPG
206_Conor_McGregor_vs_Nate_Diaz.0.0.jpg
mcgregor-diaz.jpg
022616-UFC-Nate-Diaz-punches-Michael-Johnson-PI-.vresize.1200.630.high.0.jpg
nate-diaz-17.jpg
conor-mcgregor-nate-diaz-ufc-202-slap-video.jpg

A. Nate moved up in weight and fought monsters like serial killer Rory MacDonald and prime Benson Henderson. Way tougher competition than most of current top tens padded records.

B. Nates record is totally misleading as he never cherry picked his opponents nor was he gifted favorable matchups throughout his career unlike most other current highly ranked opponents.

C. Nate could easily have been champion if he pulled back and played it safe like most of these guys.

D. Petitis isnt the same level of fighter but he is a lot more calculated. He will have game plan. Nate will just bring it and wont back down no matter what....even if he is losing.

Which is why Nate Diaz has so many true fans. He is the real deal.

Pettis will hurt that lead leg of Nate badly and will eventually KO him.

Book it.

It depends how Pettis is going to fight him. If he stands and trades then Pettis loses. Pettis has a good chance of winning if he plays a smart kicking game in a 5 round fight.
Nate is a pressure fighter but he is slow with plodding footwork.

View attachment 588019
View attachment 588021
View attachment 588023
View attachment 588025
View attachment 588027
View attachment 588029

A. Nate moved up in weight and fought monsters like serial killer Rory MacDonald and prime Benson Henderson. Way tougher competition than most of current top tens padded records.

B. Nates record is totally misleading as he never cherry picked his opponents nor was he gifted favorable matchups throughout his career unlike most other current highly ranked opponents.

C. Nate could easily have been champion if he pulled back and played it safe like most of these guys.

D. Petitis isnt the same level of fighter but he is a lot more calculated. He will have game plan. Nate will just bring it and wont back down no matter what....even if he is losing.

Which is why Nate Diaz has so many true fans. He is the real deal.

iu

tumblr_mzmz5zywvX1ry1rm7o1_400.gif

Yea your point? Prime Thompson finishes Pettis, overrated Khabib and most of top ten with ease.
0.jpg
022616-UFC-Nate-Diaz-punches-Michael-Johnson-PI-.vresize.1200.630.high.0.jpg

Petitis folded to Ferguson who lost to Michael Johnson.

Guess who destroyed Michael Johnson before he was a gatekeeper?

#saltycondorfan

Back