Was BJ Penn taking on GSP the most ambitious step up in competition ever?

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I can’t say I can think of anyone taking on a greater challenge than the greatest WW of all time, twice. He did it before to Hughes.

I don’t even like BJ Penn that much.

But Conor taking on Tyron Woodley would be laughable. People would actually have been laughing.

Conor taking on GSP at WW would be a slaughter. Khabib taking on GSP at WW would not be taken seriously.

I call that the biggest step up in competition in MMA history. We all knew what it was.

<mma4>Prime BJ had the biggest balls in the UFC

Last edited:
I just know they don't make fighters like they used to.

Kazushi Sakuraba

435f60f0c76e23e68edf293d7814ed73--always-remember-remember-this.jpg

Yeah. I mean the first time he fought him GSP was never a champ but definitely upcoming as a prospect- just like BJ. There was obviously a size advantage both times. BJ pieced him the fuck up the first time so people like me had reason to believe he would win the rematch... And the rematch was one sided and sad

Gsp vs bisping was bigger. Proves why gsp is the mma goat.

I can’t say I can think of anyone taking on a greater challenge than the greatest WW of all time, twice. He did it before to Hughes.

I don’t even like BJ Penn that much.

But Conor taking on Tyron Woodley would be laughable. People would actually have been laughing.

Conor taking on GSP at WW would be a slaughter. Khabib taking on GSP at WW would not be taken seriously.

I call that the biggest step up in competition in MMA history. We all knew what it was.

Yes it was. And Grease St. PIerre still needed to cheat to beat him.

I would say Hendo moving up to HW to fight Fedor took more balls imo

You dont even believe this trash. Would have been massive if GSP had the balls to fight Silva, but sadly he was petrified of that fight.
Really silva was petrified of jones. Jones of brock. Neither of those fighters did what gsp did.

The 2nd time? Without question.

While I can understand those arguing for Machida, the fact is Machida was very green, and a good style not to fuck BJ off of his face....

Being an intense follower of MMA at the time this was taking place......I'm still pissed off at the stupidity of the people who thought going 5 boring rounds with Diego Sanchez, and 4.5 rounds with K Flo (a fight BJ was highly arguably losing) somehow convinced anyone outside BJ's minon of fans that he stood a chance against GSP outside of a miracle.

Like the rematch with Matt Hughes, I told everyone at the time GSP would run over him like a truck because it was beyond obvious he would.

Yeah. I mean the first time he fought him GSP was never a champ but definitely upcoming as a prospect- just like BJ. There was obviously a size advantage both times. BJ pieced him the fuck up the first time so people like me had reason to believe he would win the rematch... And the rematch was one sided and sad
people forgot that penn fucked up gsp's eye pretty bad with eye poke and was essentially fighting blind

Back