Misses opportunity: Mir vs Werdum

Werdum was on a tear while Mir was on his downfall, or else we may have seen it:(

Kimbo vs Seth rematch in UFC. I think both were in UFC at the same time briefly.

Werdum was on a tear while Mir was on his downfall, or else we may have seen it:(
When Werdum rejoined the UFC roster again and after Mir lost to JDS for the championship would've been the perfect opportunity for that fight to take place. So 2012-2013.

Only time it hits the floor is when Mir heads bounches against the canvas.

Werdum is better everywhere

There is literally no area that Frank stands a chance...

Standing: Werdum has much better striking.
Ground: Mir will not pull a fast one like he did on Nog.lol

Unfortunately, these matchups rarely go as we imagine. Nelson vs Mir comes to mind.

This is a classic example of a "submission fighter" vs a "grappler". While Mir is one of the best submission fighters ever in mma (UFC record for most diverse submissions), he frequently found himself in bad positions and was terrible at controlling an opponent from his guard leading to him getting stopped with strikes often.

Werdum's positioning is what makes him the best HW grappler ever and in his prime, he rarely got touched from the top when he had his opponent in guard. Watch the 2nd Gonzaga fight for an example of this; it's unreal.

With that distinction between the two being shown, I think Werdum destroys him. Mir getting a sub is extremely unlikely and Werdum could easily dominate him from top position with ground and pound. Even outside the grappling realm, Werdum was a much faster striker with a way better chin so Mir would have a very hard time in this fight anywhere.

Werdum vs TKO within 2 rounds. Still love Frank though

This is a classic example of a "submission fighter" vs a "grappler". While Mir is one of the best submission fighters ever in mma (UFC record for most diverse submissions), he frequently found himself in bad positions and was terrible at controlling an opponent from his guard leading to him getting stopped with strikes often.

Werdum's positioning is what makes him the best HW grappler ever and in his prime, he rarely got touched from the top when he had his opponent in guard. Watch the 2nd Gonzaga fight for an example of this; it's unreal.

With that distinction between the two being shown, I think Werdum destroys him. Mir getting a sub is extremely unlikely and Werdum could easily dominate him from top position with ground and pound. Even outside the grappling realm, Werdum was a much faster striker with a way better chin so Mir would have a very hard time in this fight anywhere.

Werdum vs TKO within 2 rounds. Still love Frank though

Frank by flying kimura choke bar

I was hoping to see
Werdum vs. Barnett
Mir vs. Werdum
Werdum vs. Oleinik
Barnett vs Mir

We only saw the last one and there was absolutely no ground action.

Werdum via being superior at everything

There is literally no area that Frank stands a chance...

Standing: Werdum has much better striking.
Ground: Mir will not pull a fast one like he did on Nog.lol

Never say "never" in MMA. I doubt Mir would pull of a sub, but he has the ability to get very fast subs and surprise his opponents. Unlike Big Nog (vs. Mir) or Barnett (vs. Rothwell), I think Werdum would be too careful for this to happen, but you never know. If you get overconfident anything can happen.

There was at one point the 4 best HW grapplers ever were in the UFC. Nog, Barnett, Werdum and Mir.

Nog vs Werdum was nice on the ground, there were a few goods grappling exchanges. Mir vs Nog produced one of the best sub finishes ever. Mir vs Barnett didn't hit the ground and that was so unfortunate, that was the one I was really looking forward to.

Mir vs Werdum was the one I was really hoping to see and we never did. But I think for the most it would have been a kickboxing bout with some clinches. I don't think either would entertain the idea of grappling much.

JDHpAqw.gif

Back