I love Ferguson vs Cerrone matchup BUT

usadaguy

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's definitely too soon for Cowboy. Only one month break after 5 round fight with Al. I bet Ferguson is 100% healthy now and he's prepared well like always.
I know Cerrone likes to fight every month but he's old and he's so close to title shot and Tony is as big as Donald and he never quits, he's imo bigger challenge than Iaquinta. So I dont understand rush for Donald, Khabib vs Poirier will be couple months later and there is no more contenders maybe except Gaethje who is still way behind Ferguson/Cerrone.
Another reason is 3 round fight. This should be 5 round fight cause on the paper it might be fight of the year.

Matchup is excellent but timing is very bad. I think Ferguson should win (size, very good muay thai, chin, cardio, heart, ground game) but Im rooting for Cowboy like always.

Didn't see the fight but I thought Cerrone didn't really take any damage? And since he's coming right off a training camp who is he to turn down a #1 contender fight

He was offered the fight on the UFC’s timeline, not his own. And barring a possible GSP return the winner is likely fighting for the title next.

It’s a concern for me, but why would he turn it down at this point?

It’s a good fight with many unanswered questions on both sides. Ppl aren’t seeing the whole picture.

When I first heard cowboy cerrone was fighting in June I thought it was a mistake and that the writer of the article I was reading meant someone else...........then I realised we are talking about Cerrone

Got to love Cerrone and his IDGF attitude. Truly a anywhere, anytime fighter. A dying breed. I can't remember but has he ever pulled out of a fight with an injury after he'd taken the fight?

you might be on to something TS , I'm pretty sure his lose to Masvidal was only a one month turn around as well .

I see no way cerrone wins this unfortunately.

Because you have tunnel vision and aren’t even bothering to look.

Once again another Sherbro that proves my point.

just for the record, Tony is just one year younger than Cowboy.

It's definitely too soon for Cowboy. Only one month break after 5 round fight with Al. I bet Ferguson is 100% healthy now and he's prepared well like always.
I know Cerrone likes to fight every month but he's old and he's so close to title shot and Tony is as big as Donald and he never quits, he's imo bigger challenge than Iaquinta. So I dont understand rush for Donald, Khabib vs Poirier will be couple months later and there is no more contenders maybe except Gaethje who is still way behind Ferguson/Cerrone.
Another reason is 3 round fight. This should be 5 round fight cause on the paper it might be fight of the year.

Matchup is excellent but timing is very bad. I think Ferguson should win (size, very good muay thai, chin, cardio, heart, ground game) but Im rooting for Cowboy like always.

As a few people speculated in another thread, there's a significant probability Ferguson's head may not be in the right place.

giphy.gif

It's hard to disagree -- the last time Cerrone fought with this small of a break I believe was against Benson Henderson and he looked flat as hell in that fight (not like his normal self). I don't know that this is the best move for him, but I admire the hell out of him regardless.

I like the fight but Tony really shouldn’t need to take it. He should get the winner or Khabib and Poirer. End of story.

Tony's second interim title defense.

Cowboy is my favorite fighter by far, so active, never pulled out from the fight, his fights are always exciting. Both are cardio machines so still I cant understand why its 3 rounds. I can imagine split decision controversy and rematch.

Tickets weren't sell g they had to add something big. They may want the winner to fight Conor at MSG so maybe that's the reason they rushed it, idk.

This is the type of fight I love and hate. I love it because it is a fight between two true fighters with skills and "fight of the year" written all over it. On the other hand.. I like them both and I hate to see either of them lose.. however I would be a little less upset if cowboy wins. Cowboy deserves a title to crown his career. Not that he is champion after this win but it would be another title eliminator loss..

just for the record, Tony is just one year younger than Cowboy.

Yep. And while Cerrone has had more fights and likely more damage, Tony isn't far behind in that department either.

I think Tony wins IF he's in a good mental state, which is questionable given recent events in his life.

Papa Cerrone vs Tony Ferg w/o computer chip. Its a tough one to predict. I think Ferg gets it done though.

The toughest person cowboy has fought recently is Iaquinta. Who has only beat the superscrub kevin lee (1-3 in his last 4).
T Ferg has recently demolished Pettis, who just KO'd the #3 WW.

The good news is, if you were his manager making arguments like this, he would have fired you about a decade ago.

Typically your argument has merit. But Cerrone is not typical. He's been fighting at double the pace of the everyone else since he was 19.

He will likely lose, and it won't have anything to do with only taking a month off.

Back