My Take (series 1, Edition 3)

Paolo Delutis

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
May 23rd 2019

Hey guys, and welcome to My Take.This will be a weekly series of articles/threads that i will be writing about a variety of UFC and MMA related issues,fighters and events. I will be dropping them every Monday between 12:00 noon & 1:00pm GMT Eastern Time.Today's edition is alittle late due to the Canadian holiday long weekend last week my apologies.

In case you missed last week's edition

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/my-take-series-1-edition-2.3958175/

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/my-take-series-1-edition-1.3954893/

For today's My Take Topic i will be talking about MMA gym cultures and the stances or effects they have the on the sport.

How healthy are the current MMA gym cultures? We've all heard stories of the legendary Chute Boxe camp and their brutal sparring sessions back in the day but more recently we have heard about TAM ( Team Alpha Male) members outing T.J as a hurtful sparring partner ending a fellow members MMA fighting dreams and have released footage of what could be described as extremely heavy sparring between cody and T.J in lead up to there fights. Is this intense style of training helpful or harmful to the MMA gym culture, as a practioner myself i know experience is an invaluable tool while you are learning Martial Arts and this isnt something you learn by simply watching and not feeling or doing,especially if your wanting to be at that pro level.That being said longevity should always be on an althete and coaches mind and i believe training and practices should mirror that i cant see how having a den full of hungry ego driven warriors is conducive to proper martial art or MMA learning, if your getting hammered on in the gym constantly how are you learning and how healthy are you come fight night?..Chins wear out in my opinion in the gym over the length of your career much more then they do in any given fight, you'll take way more shots through training recklessly daily then you will in 15 fights to 20 fights.Sparring is absolutely necessary but i believe it should be built on trust and seen as a technique driven activity between teammates im not always sure this is the case. What are your thoughts?

Another key factor for me when discussing MMA gym cultures is the idea of loyalty. I am big believe of loyalty in life in general but is it real in MMA, a sport where essentially there are atleast 3 businesses working together and separately at any given time( fighter, gym , promotion/league) . People often forget about the separation between gym and the fighter, a good example of this would be Chuck Liddell , he is the most famous fighter come out of the now legendary Pit MMA gym in california , but outside of him the pit hasnt had much success and i rack my brain to even think of a current MMA fighter on the UFC roster who is from that gym but Chucks success keeps that gym alive and may lead to another star one day chucks loyalty did that..but the gym itself isnt as popular as chuck theres a thin line between the gyms success and the fighter.Weve seen this go the other way to where fighters have stayed loyal almost to there own demise , yet the gym lives on. ( SBG and Conor/Artem, Ronda Rouseys old gym GFC) so Who is responsible for the loyalty side of things? Does it have a place in MMA?

Finally my last point in regards to gym culture is there interactions with each other. Now i understand combat sports is a individual sport for the most part and with comes a sense of Me or us ( The Gym) against the world but is this really productive for the sport of MMA? Look at other sports the clubs or gyms have been able to remain rivals but still work together as a whole to better the sport, yes im talking about a fighters association or union i think the missing link to it being a reality is that separation i mentioned earlier about the fighters and the gym whereas if they stood together for the betterment of the sport and in the end the businesses they run ( gym owners) a collective effort benefits all.I find it really strange that we dont see more of the traditonal martial arts manners or behaviour in todays MMA gyms as majority of them are coming from the old world martial arts , wrestling, jiujitsu, muay thai these are all ancienit sports and with them came a connection to each gym or region a sense of duty to the sport itself to help improve it, councils to hold gyms accountable for there actions something i think given the PEDs crisis would be great to help control the curve of cheating, change the culture from in the inside first then the outside preception.

So heres MY TAKE,
Overall i think MMA is alive and healthy is a in midst of transition, and evolutions of sorts. I think fighters are getting smarter and more aware of safer training methods and the benefits of smaller weight cuts and arent afraid to clash with gyms they once were apart of ( cerrone /winkel) because there ideas differ and arent benefical anymore.That said i would love to see more cohesion between camps and new level professionalism and organization between althetes and coaches as well as gyms and promotions this sport is big enough now, that its on ESPN, i think its time to elevate it to the levels of other sports through associational growth and creation, theres no way if Longo /Serra MMA, A.K.A, Tristar ,Winkeljohn MMA, and Rufus sport came together to the UFC with a association or playering fighters bargaining agreement offer stating that this had to be in place or there fighters walk the UFC would have to at minimum sit at the table and discuss the idea..Fighters alone cant get this done the UFC is too much of a power for that to work but you start taking away gyms full of the stars and potential stars and BINGO you'll have the UFC ears to address things like fighter pay,fair sponsorship,cheating rules and regulations,in cage rule changes,judging criteria changes, new levels of communication across the board that can not hurt but only grow the sport IMO.

Thank you for reading please leave some questions and comments

Also feel free to leave some MY TAKE topic ideas for future editions and i will consider them.

Also im offering a new feature for these posts if you wish to be Tagged in future posts so you can be given direct updates to new weekly editons please let me know in the comments below and you'll be notified moving forward.

Paolo Delutis

TL/DR: Topic is Gym culture/fight teams

Paragraph 1: Advocates for smart training and sparring techniques at MMA gyms. Talks about the balance/tension between getting real sparring in and fighter longevity.

Paragraph 2: Talks about gyms that primarily have had one big star (Chuck at the PIT, Conor at SBG, Ronda at GFC). Points out how in some cases fighters stay at these gyms out of a sense of loyalty. Asks if this loyalty is correct or misplaced.

Paragraph 3: Explores the idea of using the unity of gyms as a lever for forming a fighters union/collective bargaining. Suggests this might be a feasible way to do it because if an entire gym/team acts together they have more leverage against the UFC. Also calls for a council of gyms as a mechanism for regulating member gym behavior re: the PED epidemic.

His take: Fighters have become aware of new safer training methods that sometimes are in conflict with gym/trainers. Also sees gyms as a means for collective bargaining power as mentioned in previous paragraph.

Paragraph 1: Advocates for smart training and sparring techniques at MMA gyms. Talks about the balance/tension between getting real sparring in and fighter longevity.

Paragraph 2: Talks about gyms that primarily have had one big star (Chuck at the PIT, Conor at SBG, Ronda at GFC). Points out how in some cases fighters stay at these gyms out of a sense of loyalty. Asks if this loyalty is correct or misplaced.

Paragraph 3: Explores the idea of using the unity of gyms as a lever for forming a fighters union/collective bargaining. Suggests this might be a feasible way to do it because if an entire gym/team acts together they have more leverage against the UFC. Also calls for a council of gyms as a mechanism for regulating member gym behavior re: the PED epidemic.

His take: Fighters have become aware of new safer training methods that sometimes are in conflict with gym/trainers. Also sees gyms as a means for collective bargaining power as mentioned in previous paragraph.
^this is number one comment, thanks.

Thank you you are correct on all counts any thoughts of your own to add? Or comments

A lot of fighters having been using the UFC PI lately everything they need is there so why not! imo

A lot of fighters having been using the UFC PI lately everything they need is there so why not! imo

Interesting take..its almost like the anti gym choice right? ..why bother with the drama if you can just get it done at the UFC home base...but how specialized and good is the training there?

Interesting take..its almost like the anti gym choice right? ..why bother with the drama if you can just get it done at the UFC home base...but how specialized and good is the training there?

Probably not great for training partners but i heard its free for the fighters and they get all their meals made. I could be wrong but i am pretty sure.

Thank you you are correct on all counts any thoughts of your own to add? Or comments

I think you bring up some interesting points, particularly the first paragraph. It's tough because nothing prepares you for in fight action like a sparring session, but you don't want to get injured. Then you add ego on top of that. It's probably difficult.

Here is a pretty in depth article on the PI

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...te-revolutionizing-mma-training/#605236584743

here is the quote i was refering to:

Already, the UFC estimates 30% of its current athletes have visited the facility, including Conor McGregor who used it as a training base leading up to his boxing match with Floyd Mayweather. The doors are open to all UFC athletes at no cost to the athlete.

I think you bring up some interesting points, particularly the first paragraph. It's tough because nothing prepares you for in fight action like a sparring session, but you don't want to get injured. Then you add ego on top of that. It's probably difficult.

Yeah imagine preparing for a fight , and the guy your sparring with is a lose canon or full of ego and is trying to end you or make a point hes better than you, when all your trying to do is practice and survive camp till fight week.. Must be a real problem for some

Last edited:
Here is a pretty in depth article on the PI

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristi...te-revolutionizing-mma-training/#605236584743

here is the quote i was refering to:

Already, the UFC estimates 30% of its current athletes have visited the facility, including Conor McGregor who used it as a training base leading up to his boxing match with Floyd Mayweather. The doors are open to all UFC athletes at no cost to the athlete.

Nice seems like a good alternative for newer fighters coming up and if some elitle guys are using it like mcgregor there must be some good things about it,

Nice seems like a good alternative for newer fighters coming up and if some elitle guys are using it like mcgregor there must be some good things about it,

Yeah but there is some kind of curse thing i am trying to find where like a certain percent that train there end up losing. It's pretty funny.

kinda like the Mir curse/Eminen curse. lol

MY TAKE on this is that it won't last past a couple more weeks.

Yeah but there is some kind of curse thing i am trying to find where like a certain percent that train there end up losing. It's pretty funny.

kinda like the Mir curse/Eminen curse. lol

Haha yea i think i remember seeing that around the ngannou vs stipe fight

Its been 3 weeks, dont see why i would stop

Any suggestions on topics

I don't think you should stop just shorten it a bit. This is sherdog many of us have limited attention spans. lol

I don't think you should stop just shorten it a bit. This is sherdog many of us have limited attention spans. lol

Point taken this was a passionate one for me, so i wrote alot from the hip so to speak..i will be more aware of the length moving forward lol

Back