Greatest Legend Underrated by Modern Fans

Obitronix

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Who do you think is the most underrated legend? Don't mention fighters who are presently in their "prime."

Last edited:
BJ's recent run has him and his legacy trashed a lot on here.

I don't think people realize how good Nick Diaz and Big Nog were. They were effectively DC without a fuck up above them.

Because BJ Penn won't stop fighting he is getting underrated now. He was an absolute beast in his prime.

Some also tend to forget just how good Aldo was in his prime.

I don't really see the problem, you can be an absolute legend and a pioneer, and still be not very good by today's standard. Pretty much nobody was "well-rounded" until the early 2000's.

Sakuraba, Rutten, Coleman are all great pics
But imo, it's Marco Ruas
Nobody even mentions luta livre

Under rated or just unknown?

Chris Lytle always stands out as someone modern fans dont know about but made a huge contribution to the essence of the league.

I don't really see the problem, you can be an absolute legend and a pioneer, and still be not very good by today's standard. Pretty much nobody was "well-rounded" until the early 2000's.
Some people don't even know enough about early 2000's MMA. Training and talent pool continue to evolve (to a certain extent). Who knows how many past fighters would have been competitive or elite today if they started in the current landscape?

ROYCE GRACIE! Put respek on his name!

Some people don't even know enough about early 2000's MMA. Training and talent pool continue to evolve (to a certain extent). Who knows how many past fighters would have been competitive or elite today if they started in the current landscape?
That's been true since the TUF1 finale though. It became doubly true in the Brock Lesnar era. Today it's just no less true.

People seems to forget how much of a badass/unstoppable fighter Matt Hughes was, before the GOAT walked over him.

Like someone previously said, Igor Vovchanchyn need more of recognition. Oleg Taktarov too.

Dan Henderson.

Quality wins at HW, LHW & MW.
This. The man has wins over Fedor, Big Nog, Gilbert Yvel, Carlos Newton, Ninja Rua, Renato Sobral, Renzo Gracie, Vitor Belfort, Wanderlei Silva, Rich Franklin, Michael Bisping, Shogun Rua, Hector Lombard.
First ever 2 division belt holder.
Was a participant in the greatest fight ever (Hendo Shogun 1)
Gave us the H Bomb (luh you Michael bisping!)
Started out in 1997, retired in 2016. Thats 19 years active.
Retired at 46 years old after arguably beating Bisping in a title fight.
DanHenderson.jpg 502_Michael_Bisping_vs_Dan_Henderson.0.0.jpg dan-henderson-teeth-mma-bulgaria.0_standard_400.0.jpg

Agree with the Hendo props but but he was recently active...

Guys new schoolers don't know about:?
Pulver - early UFC LW champ. had skills.
Miletitch - major impact in the sport
Couture - JO video aside. Dude had one of the toughest set of career match-ups ever. (jesus Randy, WTF is up with that vid anyways?
Sherk- Very underrated

Fighters from the "past" are pioneers and made the sport what it is. With that said, I cut the convo short when someone mentions blah blah blah from the past will beat today's crop of fighters.

I feel like DC gets perpetually underrated because he’s fat with a goatee but that worked so well for Tank you may ask? <BC1>

Back