Gaethje: UFC should remove McGregor from rankings if he doesn't fight. Talks about the LW divison

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score
ESPN: You said you're back in the gym. In your mind, what are you preparing for?

Gaethje: S---, man, the peak of my career. I'm ranked No. 5 right now. There are four guys and the champion in front of me. I'm looking for one of those guys, and I'm looking for a big fight this summer. I don't want to fight guys ranked behind me. I've got two knockouts in a row. James Vick was ranked behind me. I feel I deserve someone in front of me.

Looking at the landscape, Conor McGregor [who last fought against Nurmagomedov in October] is No. 3 right now. If it's not him, there's not an open fight right now. So, that's the fight I want. He's No. 3. If he's not going to fight, take him out of the rankings. I'd be cool with that, too, and we can move on from there.

ESPN: McGregor has mentioned you on social media after several of your fights, including the last one. How likely do you think it is he'll accept a fight with you?

Gaethje: I don't know, but as far as I'm concerned, he's in the rankings so he should be available. I'm just sitting in my house in Colorado. I have no idea what the hell is going on with him. But he's No. 3. He's the only guy ranked ahead of me that doesn't have a fight. He needs a fight to get back to the title shot. That's me.

I don't know what else to say about it. Unless he just does not want to fight me, if he wants to be that picky about it. I can't control that. I'll worry about things I can control. But I would definitely love to f--- him up. Every time I get a chance to f--- someone up who talks a lot of s---, it makes it more fun for me.

ESPN: What do you think about him being ranked No. 3?

Gaethje: He was the champion and he lost one fight since, so I've got no crap against that. But the UFC needs to handle their business and put him in the cage, so I can f--- him up.

ESPN: Did the UFC offer you the Ferguson fight on June 8, before booking him against Cerrone?

Gaethje: Yeah, that's not how I do things, man. They called me and wanted me to do it in four weeks. My coach [Trevor Wittman] was going to be out of town for two of those weeks. The way that I fight, man, I'd be a fool to work as hard as I have my whole life to get here, and compromise myself taking a fight like that.

I said, 'Let's do July 6 instead,' and obviously we know what happened. I told them that was too fast, but I feel like things are going to move pretty fast in this division now. We'll see how things play out.

ESPN: How do you see the expected title fight between Nurmagomedov and Poirier going?

Gaethje: I don't give Poirier much of a shot. Maybe a 16 percent shot. I think Khabib is going to take him down immediately, or create some kind of scramble immediately. I don't think Poirier stops his takedowns.

ESPN: How do you see Ferguson vs. Cerrone going?

Gaethje: Tony beats him up. Tony's better. Tony is just better than Cowboy.

ESPN: How do you see Diaz vs. Pettis going?

Gaethje: Probably Pettis winning. It's been a long time since Nate fought; that doesn't help. Pettis has a lot of confidence right now off that last win [against Stephen Thompson]. He's probably training hard every day now that he's got this roll going.

ESPN: Were you surprised when your teammate, former strawweight champion Rose Namajunas, said she may retire after her loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC 237 last weekend?

Gaethje: No. I'm more surprised that everyone was so surprised by it. She's already vulnerable, and then put her into that situation, she's more vulnerable. She just went through a traumatic experience. Most humans would be like, 'I don't want to do that again,' if it just happened to them. It's hard to take anything a fighter says seriously on fight night, because you're either fired up or you're just really emotional. You're not thinking clearly. You're not analyzing all the options.

She's the best female fighter in the world, so ... I want her to enjoy being the best female fighter in the world. If she's gonna do it, I mean, it's hard. I don't know. I think there are a lot of things she could be great at. But I don't think she's done fighting.

http://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/26769580/gaethje-ufc-remove-mcgregor-rankings-fight

Agreed. Mcfail hasn’t won a. Fight in 4 years. At this point the only man he’s beaten up in recent memory is his jobber friend lobov.

MMA math involving Justin & Conor isn't pretty

Fighters and fans care way too much about rankings. Gaethje is right about McG, but why does it matter?

Fighters and fans care way too much about rankings. Gaethje is right about McG, but why does it matter?
Because the UFC will try to use it as leverage when making arguments for title shots.

MMA math involving Justin & Conor isn't pretty

Ikr, it doesn't add up. Bc Justin will flatline Conor late 2 after taking his legs out in the 1st round.

He's not wrong about Conor, but Gaethje is the most overrated fighter in the UFC at the moment. Gets rocked in every fight. Kind of fighter that will be on a five-fight KO loss steak before too long IMO unless he's fighting dudes outside the top 10-15.

He's beaten Barboza (who hasn't), Vick whose UFC record is misleading with the opponents he beat and Michael Johnson who has looked awful for a long time despite catching chinny Poirer.

Last edited:
Because the UFC will try to use it as leverage when making arguments for title shots.
So what? Edgar, Couture, Diaz bros, Faber and others have proven rankings mean absolutely nothing. Put on good fights, get fans behind you and get a good agent. That’s the best leverage.

Who cares? Rankings don't mean anything anyway.

Title should be Gaethje "I won TWO whole fights now I will duck everyone ranked below me!" I can't stand these guys that cry about a few #s ahead of him not fighting him, while hiding from guys behind him.
<Waaah>

Ikr, it doesn't add up. Bc Justin will flatline Conor late 2 after taking his legs out in the 1st round.
This. If Nate could get dropped 3x in the first round and make it through all 25 minutes, Gaethje can do the same. Conor is a beast, but I don't think he has the mentality to go to Hell with Gaethje. Hot damn that would be a dynamite fight no matter if Conor gets a 13 second KO or Gaethje wins a 25 minute war. Sign me up!

Really, doesn't seem like rankings are used much other then to promote a fight... for damn sure being #1 doesn't guarantee a title shot. But Justin, expect Mcgregor to be higher than you the next time he fights and even high in the P4P...

It hasn't even been a year since Conor's last fight

Nate was ranked since mid 2016 and only recently got removed

Fall back, gay cheese

Last edited:
He's just fishing for the money fight. Its Normal.

Can't wait for Conor to execute this uncultured bum

So he only wants a fight ranked above him, and he wants it on his schedule also? Pretty high demands for a guy 3-2 in the UFC. Something tells me he would have fought Conor on June 8th, just not Tony.

Back