Media Gaethje was offered a Tony Ferg fight.

Deadwing88

Lion of Panjshir.
@Silver
Reaction score
Gaethje: Yeah, that's not how I do things, man. They called me and wanted me to do it in four weeks. My coach [Trevor Wittman] was going to be out of town for two of those weeks. The way that I fight, man, I'd be a fool to work as hard as I have my whole life to get here, and compromise myself taking a fight like that.

I said, 'Let's do July 6 instead,' and obviously we know what happened. I told them that was too fast, but I feel like things are going to move pretty fast in this division now. We'll see how things play out.

Anyone taking an El Cucuy fight on 4 weeks is either insane, or has a death wish.

Guy is a nightmare match-up for anyone, even on a FULL camp.

wouldn't make a difference, Gathje fights the same almost every time and Ferguson would dismantle him regardless

Good for him. Taking that fight on 4 weeks without a coach (headcoach or not, I'm not sure) would be foolish.

I hope he has enough leverage that UFC doesn't make him pay for it. I think he does.

Oh UFC... It's like the girlfriend that only puts out right before you have to leave for work. <45>

wouldn't make a difference, Gathje fights the same almost every time and Ferguson would dismantle him regardless
Which is funny, because of Tony is the gateway to Khabib, certainly no one can beat them both (questionable whether anyone can beat either of them).

But both have completely different styles, making it impossible to go through one to get to - and then beat - the next.

Gaethje is on the short list of people who *may* give Khabib some trouble.

Good, he's 3-2 in the UFC & doesn't deserve a fight with Tony yet.

Gaethje should be fighting Felder or Iaquinta next.

Good thing Cerrone stepped up.

Gaethje: Yeah, that's not how I do things, man. They called me and wanted me to do it in four weeks. My coach [Trevor Wittman] was going to be out of town for two of those weeks. The way that I fight, man, I'd be a fool to work as hard as I have my whole life to get here, and compromise myself taking a fight like that.

I said, 'Let's do July 6 instead,' and obviously we know what happened. I told them that was too fast, but I feel like things are going to move pretty fast in this division now. We'll see how things play out.

He dodge a bullet here

Can understand turning it down but then you cant complain when you get passed up cause Tony and cowboy took the fight. Doubt UFC makes Justin/Conor and Diaz/Pettis is at WW so who does he fight? he's the odd man out right now. No way Tony/Cowboy winner fights him, they will want title shot after Khabib/Dustin and should get it.

So he's gonna have to either settle for a lesser fight or wait a while.

Good, he's 3-2 in the UFC & doesn't deserve a fight with Tony yet.

Gaethje should be fighting Felder or Iaquinta next.

Probably you're right, not because of 'deserve' (a meaningless term in this sport anyway) but because of schedules. All 4 guys ranked above him are scheduled to fight each other, so he probably does fight one of those guys further down the ladder. Or take a well deserved 9 months off after fighting 4x in a 12 month period.

Felder fight could be interesting, because they both have such hard heads. If I were Gaethje's management, I'd lobby to make it a 3 rounder.

Last edited:
UFC is disgusting with Tony treatment. Why he has to fight these killers?

But Gathje could very well be Ferguson's worst matchup. This would be a battle of someone whose entire career is built around disengaging when things don't go his way, vs someone who doesn't give a fuck and is willing to sacrifice his body to force you into a war. How Ferguson can deal with Gathje's walk forward pressure will be a very interesting question.

But Gathje could very well be Ferguson's worst matchup. This would be a battle of someone whose entire career is built around disengaging when things don't go his way, vs someone who doesn't give a fuck and is willing to sacrifice his body to force you into a war. How Ferguson can deal with Gathje's walk forward pressure will be a very interesting question.

lol, Wut?

Back