How have Dominant Wrestlers like Khabib been defeated in MMA?

Steven_Universe

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Now that I think about it. Primarily it’s physical and health issues that finish powerful wrestlers and not a game plan or fighting style that finished them.

Khabib- Undefeated

GSP- Retired- was almost sprawled and brawled by Hendricks but still won

Jon Jones - Still Champ.

Dan Cormier- still champ.

Dan Henderson- got old and became a striker with a bad knee.

Rampage- same as above

Tito Ortiz- Same as above

Chael Sonnen- abused steroids and always had bad sub defence

Chad Mendes- stopped being a good explosive wrestler after drug bust

It just seems like a dominant wrestler with good sub defense only gets beaten by age, wear and tear, or better wrestlers.

Steroid testing.

What a ridiculously biased list. So we'll just ignore the losses that 99% of those fighters had BEFORE they got old? I can see why I had already clicked ignore on you lol :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Generally, a combination of good striking and takedown defence. Some of the guys you listed as getting old/busted for PEDs had lost before that point by similar combinations, ie:
- Hendo lost to Wand and Anderson
- Tito lost to Chuck, twice
- Mendes lost to Aldo, twice, before he got caught for PEDs

jiu jitsu guys who are better strikers than the wrestler or has a way to get the fight to the ground and who's jiu jitsu game revolves around being on the bottom like Big Nog, Werdum, Palhares.

strikers who have good distance control, feints, and timing, these are guys like Aldo, Mirko, Lyoto.

watch enough MMA and you realize everyone can get beat by somebody.

Sambo beats wrestling.. So someone like Khabib beats a dominant wrestler.

Now that I think about it. Primarily it’s physical and health issues that finish powerful wrestlers and not a game plan or fighting style that finished them.

Khabib- Undefeated

Jon Jones - Still Champ.

Dan Henderson- got old and became a striker with a bad knee. He always got outwrestled in MMA by far lesser wrestlers.

Rampage- same as above

Tito Ortiz- Same as above Finally fighting real opponents his own size who could also wrestle

It just seems like a dominant wrestler with good sub defense only gets beaten by age, wear and tear, or better wrestlers.

Wrestling is the most dominant area of MMA, pretty much everyone agrees on this. But it's not a shut out like you seem to be suggesting TS.

As someone already mentioned, elite strikers with good TDD are a big threat to wrestlers. Elite BJJ is always going to be a threat too.

But we also haven't seen a lot of wrestlers like khabib, the relentless chain wrestling and top control that wears down almost any opponent. There's not a lot of guys in MMA like that and it is very hard to counter, your best bet is to catch them and try to finish early in the first few rounds.

Islam is pretty much an exact copy of Khabib but with better striking. Same wrestling style, and even their teammates say Islam has more potential. His loss came from running into a counter-punch.

Sprawl and brawl/ strike OR submissions, in the past.

I don't think submissions will work anymore. Wrestlers are better at submission grappling than BJJ guys nowadays.

I also don't think sprawl and brawl will work anymore. Wrestlers, it turns out, often have amazing KO power once they learn how to throw a punch. They threw arm punches in the past eras but they know how to throw real punches in the modern era and we have guys like Johnny Hendricks, Rumble, Carwin, etc.

Aldo and others in the modern era have done it by having impeccable takedown defense and picking them apart on the feet with great striking technique. That's the recipe for beating wrestlers in 2019.

Last edited:

Khabib- Undefeated

Jon Jones - Still Champ.

Dan Henderson- got old and became a striker with a bad knee.

Rampage- same as above

Tito Ortiz- Same as above

Well khabib doesn't ever have to face wrestlers who've already shown how overrated his grappling was when tibsu treated him like a little child.

The next great wrestler he faces will make him look average and it will be hilarious.

Well khabib doesn't ever have to face wrestlers who've already shown how overrated his grappling was when tibsu treated him like a little child.

The next great wrestler he faces will make him look average and it will be hilarious.
I love how you specifically avoid mentioning any names. Who are these "great wrestlers" at LW and why are they not at the top scheduled to fight Khabib if they're so great? When Khabib beats Gaethje, retards like you are going to sing songs about how NCAA D1 credentials don't mean anything.

Also, lmao at Tibau fight. EPObau was incapable of winning even a single round, this fact will haunt Khabib haters until the end of their days.
Khabib-Tibau scorecard.png

When they move up a weight class )

Back