Who are the UFC's ultimate gate keepers?

Sherwolf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Guys who are solid af, but the likelihood of them becoming champ is slim to none.

Here are my current top keepers by weight division:

• JDS
  • Gus
  • A. Spider
  • A. Pettis
  • D. Cerrone
  • C. Swanson
  • J. Dodson
  • WMMA
  • Zingano
  • Gadelha
The main factor to your choice has to be they are top of the heap but will lose to a top contender every time when it's a title shot eliminator fight.

Who's the p4p GOAT keeper?

My pick:

20140420060510_1MG_8783.JPG

Stephen Thompson

You just named 3 UFC champions. 2 of which are some of the best champions in MMA history. I don't think you can be included in a "best gatekeeper" thread when you have been champion.

Most people you listed are contenders ir former challengers.

leben. lauzon. tibau. thiago tavares. Guida. struve. ross pearson.

Guida is the best imo because he worked him self to title eliminators and arguably should have had his titile shot when he beat pettis

3 ex-champs in gatekeeper thread...

tenor.gif

Lauzon, Miller, Misvidal, Rivera*, M. Johnson, Barboza, Cerrone as you mentioned . Bad mofo's that can't quite reach the Gold. Damn, LW is a tough division.

*- Rivera has a chance with the BW shakup I suppose.

Gotta shout out to Chris Leben as one of the premier gatekeepers of his time.

iu

HW: Overeem, Derrik Lewis
LHW: Manuwa
MW: Gastelum
WW: Wonderboy, Magny
LW: Barboza, Cerrone
FW: Jeremy Stephens, Cub Swanson

The best gatekeeper is Jeremy Stephens. He's 15-15 in the UFC.

If you can beat him, you're elite. (losses to Zabit, Jose, Moicano, Edgar, Holloway, Swanson, Oliviera, Cerrone, Pettis, prime Tibau, prime Guillard)

If you can't beat him, you aren't ready for the big boys yet.

jeremy-stephens-ufc-189.jpg

Half the athletes you mentioned are former title challengers, not gatekeepers.

Perfect example of a gatekeeper is Chris Leben. Exciting, well liked fighter who never managed to break through to the elite. Also see Evan Dunham, Aaron Riley, etc.

Uriah Hall and Jeremy Stephens. For me a gatekeeper is the guy you have to beat to move up in the division, but who's never going to do anything himself. Cub Swanson is another good example. I think Stephens is the ultimate though, he's has like 30 ufc fights and he's never fought for a title, that's got to be a record.

Back