No Sense of Entitlement: Humble Overeem Refuses to Talk Titleshot Before Three Consecutive Wins

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The win today marked Overeem’s second in a row, but after going 4-2 since his last title shot, Alistair says it is too soon to be talking about championship opportunities.

“I’m aiming for September. Fighting in September and then again later in the year. But after three wins we will start talking about the title,” Overeem said at the post fight press conferene from Saint Petersburg, Russia on Saturday afternoon (via MMAWeekly). “Not yet, it’s too soon.”

. . .

“To me, Alexander Volkov is still ranked somewhere [relevant]. We were supposed to fight tonight. I’m still looking for that fight. Let’s do that first and then we’ll figure out who comes after.”

In an era when there are too many undeserved titleshots and demands for unearned titleshots, Alistair Overeem sets a new standard.

After seeing that performance I don't believe Alistair will contend for a title any time soon

He was getting tagged by a 50 year old man who is known for subbing guys from his back. If those were right hands from Stipe or Ngannou, he'd be gone

Why would anyone think that wins over Alexey Oleinik and Sergey Pavlovich would get you anywhere near a title shot?
Before getting the fight with Stipe he won 4 in a row not 3 and they were Arlovski, JDS, Nelson and Struve so all 4 of them were better than Oleinik and Pavlovich

Why would anyone think that wins over Alexey Oleinik and Sergey Pavlovich would get you anywhere near a title shot?
Before getting the fight with Stipe he won 4 in a row not 3 and they were Arlovski, JDS, Nelson and Struve so all 4 of them were better than Oleinik and Pavlovich
Pavlovich is better than Arlovski, Struve and Oleinik skill-wise.

Why would he be thinking about a title shot, beat Volkov 1st and you beat someone ranked below you

Well it's DC vs Brock first, DC vs Jones next, or maybe Stipe first. There's also Ngannou if he KOs JDS as we expect him to...

Give Overeem an interim belt just cause

Alexander Volkov got ko'd by Derrick Lewis so unfortunately for Reem he is not exactly relevant or the guy to beat for a title shot.. But I'm sure if they need someone Alistair is always on call

If Hendo can get one, Overeem will get one.

Don't underestimate Overeem's chances of catching another title shot. A knee blows out, someone gets busted for PEDs, and he's exactly the sort of guy the UFC would call to fill in as a late replacement – and like him or not, it's very possible he could beat DC (who has the ideal stature and style for Reem to nuke him with a knee, even if it's far from guaranteed) and we already know he could beat Stipe, given we saw him come within a hair's breadth of finishing him when they did fight.

tumblr_odcgvbfacu1qa33wlo1_500.gif

Last edited:
He makes high 6 figures to fight anyone. The title doesn't matter to him

I don’t understand why so many people dislike him. Breathe of fresh air that he doesn’t yell for a title shot like most of his colleagues do after a main event win

Don't underestimate Overeem's chances of catching another title shot. A knee blows out, someone gets busted for PEDs, and he's exactly the sort of guy the UFC would call to fill in as a late replacement – and like him or not, it's very possible he could beat DC (who has the idea stature and style for Reem to nuke him with a knee, even if it's far from guaranteed) and we already know he could beat Stipe, given we saw him come within a hair's breadth of finishing him when they did fight.

tumblr_odcgvbfacu1qa33wlo1_500.gif

let's not forget that he clearly felt the tap

As a fellow Dutchman I can appreciate this. It's in our culture to not be loud and be humble. We have a saying here that a lot of people will think sounds stupid but it's part of our DNA.

"Doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg"

It translates to : just act normal then you're acting crazy enough.

Pavlovich is better than Arlovski, Struve and Oleinik skill-wise.

Not sure about skill wise, he has a lot of potential physically but is still in need of improvement, many said the Overeem fight was too soon for him to step up.

As far as Cormier goes I spose it depends rather on why you think he lost to Blaydes so easily, was it the injury or has his grappling dropped off generally that much? if its the latter then Cormier probably gets him down fast and TKO's him.

Standing I think it might be interesting, Reem is getting progressively more hittable its true but also you could argue his offence does target Cormiers weaknesses to knees and body kicks.

As a fellow Dutchman I can appreciate this. It's in our culture to not be loud and be humble. We have a saying here that a lot of people will think sounds stupid but it's part of our DNA.

"Doe maar gewoon, dan doe je al gek genoeg"

It translates to : just act normal then you're acting crazy enough.
It sounds like you smoke too much hash.

Back