Romero v Gastelum

GoshiShun17

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
After one of the greatest fights in UFC history put on at UFC 236, most fans and critics alike agreed that both men in the co-main event showed that they belong with the elite of the division.

However it seems to me there are still a good number of people who don't give these guys their due. Especially Gastelum. I hear that he's fast, has a chin, and hits hard. This is all true. But people don't give him enough credit for his ability to get into range, slip punches, and his boxing brilliance in general. I heard a few people say thay neither of these guys compare to Yoel and Whittaker. People say that Romero would destroy Kelvin any way he wants. This position confuses me.

Let's talk about a few of Romero's strengths. I feel that he has great control of distance and angles. Good defense. He's very unpredictable with his attacks. . Obviously his wrestling is always a threat. However he is very low volume. And he doesn't have the best cardio at all. We all know this. He has destroyed a few contenders. But most of his fights against top contenders are closely contested before he lands that kill shot. Against Rockhold and Weidman, he wasn't dominating them throughout the fight. Jacare arguably should have won. But he made reads, and landed his kill shot in the 3rd round.

So why do people assume he would just dominate Gastelum??? Gastelum is arguably the better striker. Also still to this day he's never been knocked out. Romero has. I'm not saying Yoel shouldn't be the favorite. As of now he has the better wins at 185 and has only officially lost to 1 man during his UFC tenure. And that man barely survived. But I do believe that it's silly to think that it will be a wash or that Yoel is on another level. This ain't Dragon Ball Z.

Last edited:
Yoel is the rightful favorite but there are no easy fights at the top

I would probably order Kelvin Gastelum vs Yoel Romero.

Would be a good fight. Gastellum could give him the feijao treatment again.

Yoel takes rounds off and Kelvin fights at the same pace for 5 rounds

Kelvin UD imo

If it isn't a main event (3 rounds) I take Yoel tho

Gastelum gets worked. He needs to discipline himself and make 170 lbs. Him and Hendrix had no business at MW.

Yoel takes rounds off and Kelvin fights at the same pace for 5 rounds

Kelvin UD imo

If it isn't a main event (3 rounds) I take Yoel tho
I think Yoel gasses and does a bit of stool sitting in this one.

And again new guy that might beat Yoel only to get destroyed lmao
Romero is the King there

Yoel by KO. Especially after the damage Kelvin took

Romero defeats him easily.

You don't want to rely on your chin against a guy like Yoel. With Kelvin's short reach and height, I could honestly see Romero setting up a nasty flying knee.

Gastelum is good I just can't get past him targeting old men and almost missing weight at 185. He's fun to watch but his record against fighters not coming off of one or more losses is pretty horrendous. Like I said he's a good fighter but will he make weight? Will he pop for weed again? Will he stop targeting old dudes? I guarantee you he will go after Silva again if Silva beats Cannonier. Or maybe he'll target the Weidman rematch with Weidman coming off of another finish loss.

Completely agreeging with you! Would be a hell of a fight. You know that is sherdog. Kelvin could not knock out Izzy. Now so many ppl think that Izzy could not have taken Romeros punches. Though there is no proof at all he hits harder than Kelvin. I also do not say that Romero could not be the favorite but we really do not know. But I would also not be suprised if Kelvin puts a beating on him. What I know it would be an abolute fun fight. Make it happen!!

Gastelum is good I just can't get past him targeting old men
Well let's address that part. If old men still wanna fight then someones gonna make a name off of them eventually.

But as far as Kelvin's opponents go, you have Belfort, yes he's old and washed up without his medical help. But hey, he's been "old" for a while tbh and they kept selling him.

Then there's Bisping. I feel this is a bad example and here's why. Yes you could bring up the fact that he's older and had too much of a quick turnaround from his fight with GSP. But the counter that Gastelum used against Bisping would have worked no matter his age. And although Mike was never known for his chin, those shots would have KOed anyone who ate them flush.

Then you have Jacare who is still top 5 in the division as an older fighter. If Weidman would have beat him, he'd be demanding a titleshot. The only knock on that win was how close it was.

Romero defeats him easily.

You don't want to rely on your chin against a guy like Yoel. With Kelvin's short reach and height, I could honestly see Romero setting up a nasty flying knee.
No one has defeated Kelvin easily.

Well let's address that part. If old men still wanna fight then someones gonna make a name off of them eventually.

But as far as Kelvin's opponents go, you have Belfort, yes he's old and washed up without his medical help. But hey, he's been "old" for a while tbh and they kept selling him.

Then there's Bisping. I feel this is a bad example and here's why. Yes you could bring up the fact that he's older and had too much of a quick turnaround from his fight with GSP. But the counter that Gastelum used against Bisping would have worked no matter his age. And although Mike was never known for his chin, those shots would have KOed anyone who ate them flush.

Then you have Jacare who is still top 5 in the division as an older fighter. If Weidman would have beat him, he'd be demanding a titleshot. The only knock on that win was how close it was.
Yeah close fight, you can also throw Marquardt and Kennedy on there. Both coming off of losses and Kennedy basically retiring and filming a tv show for 2 years before the Gastelum fight. Marquardt had also lost 4 of his last 5 (2 by KO) and Belfort got tko'd twice in a row before the Gastelum fight. Jacare is the only old man that was coming off of a win and... Split decision... I know I'm giving Gastelum a hard time I just find it hard to get hyped about him when you know he'd be fighting at 170 if he was more disciplined.

I'm not sure if he still wants to fight at 170 but he went on record in the past stating he thought the top guys at 185 were too big for him. I'm fine with him fighting the odd old dude if they are relevant as long as he isn't dodging the younger guys. Guaranteed he wouldn't fight Adesanya if the Interim Belt wasn't on the line. Maybe he'll prove me wrong and fight Costa next, time will tell.

Great post and I couldn't agree more! One problem though. I don't think Kelvin will fight again for at least 6 months.

Romero will want to fight soon and the timing won't match up very well. Hope I'm wrong because I'd love to see that fight.

After one of the greatest fights in UFC history put on at UFC 236, most fans and critics alike agreed that both men in the co-main event showed that they belong with the elite of the division.

However it seems to me there are still a good number of people who don't give these guys their due. Especially Gastelum. I hear that he's fast, has a chin, and hits hard. This is all true. But people don't give him enough credit for his ability to get into range, slip punches, and his boxing brilliance in general. I heard a few people say thay neither of these guys compare to Yoel and Whittaker. People say that Romero would destroy Kelvin any way he wants. This position confuses me.

Let's talk about a few of Romero's strengths. I feel that he has great control of distance and angles. Good defense. He's very unpredictable with his attacks. . Obviously his wrestling is always a threat. However he is very low volume. And he doesn't have the best cardio at all. We all know this. He has destroyed a few contenders. But most of his fights against top contenders are closely contested before he lands that kill shot. Against Rockhold and Weidman, he wasn't dominating them throughout the fight. Jacare arguably should have won. But he made reads, and landed his kill shot in the 3rd round.

So why do people assume he would just dominate Gastelum??? Gastelum is arguably the better striker. Also still to this day he's never been knocked out. Romero has. I'm not saying Yoel shouldn't be the favorite. As of now he has the better wins at 185 and has only officially lost to 1 man during his UFC tenure. And that man barely survived. But I do believe that it's silly to think that it will be a wash or that Yoel is on another level. This ain't Dragon Ball Z.

romero could easily end it in the first 30 seconds by doing the same thing weidman did in the 3rd round.

Back