Almost end of April and no Superfights have happened or are scheduled

Dessyboy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Almost a third of the way through the year and been the most lacklustre to date. Nothing amazing scheduled before July

Leaves the last third of the year for there to be some amazing fights scheduled

The UFC just gets away with feeding us mediocre events because they are still making a ton of money

I think this ties into the guarantee on the ESPN ppv deal.

"No super fights have happened"

images.jpeg-42.jpg

So now we act entitled to super fights? I love how all the divisions are held up and flooded with meaningless interim belts

This is wonderful.

In all honesty the reason is that superfights have proven not to sell PPV's because they are superfights. It thus doesn't make sense to keep doing them. Conor sold a superfight because he was Conor. DC v Stipe did the same numbers on the same card fighting other guys as they did fighting each other. GSP v Penn sold because of GSP and Penn being stars not because there were two belts on the line.

Champ v champ is not something people inherently cared about. Good matchups in divisions people care about do better numbers than sport wrecking superfights. These fights are awful as they put two divisions on hold at once and if they aren't making the UFC a shit ton of extra money like Conor did they are a cancer to the UFC's business not just the fans as the UFC loses a ton of main events for a main event doing the same or less. Cyborg is one of the biggest stars in the UFC, gave her a superfight with Nunes and now she has nowhere to go. With Cyborg it's different cause she had no division but a superfight means you're risking losing a champion doing main events.

But yeah TJ v Henry was a superfight as Soul mentioned. Did good because it was ESPN plus debut. Cjuedo v Moraes is a superish fight as the 125 champ is going to fight the 135 number one contender. It will do piss poor numbers, casuals don't even know who Moraes is, he's a fill in for TJ who was getting his rematch at 135.

So now we act entitled to super fights? I love how all the divisions are held up and flooded with meaningless interim belts

Yes of course ! there should be 4 to 5 per year

Dude, this is perhaps the strongest start to a year in UFC history.

If you aren’t entertained then I don’t know what to say.

I cannot complain.

The UFC just gets away with feeding us mediocre events because they are still making a ton of money
VengefulCompetentCanary-size_restricted.gif

We've had good/great fights literally every fucking week. How are you complaining?

I don't take it too seriously when people say MMA has the worst fandom, but I'm starting to believe it...

Superfights are bullshit. So are ducking champs, and contenders. There have been many great fights this year. Either you haven’t been watching, or you have no clue what you’re watching.

Did you miss Pettis Superman punching Wonderboy into the canvas? Masvidal upsetting Till? Gaethje stopping Barboza?

Super fights should happen when they make sense, not simply for the sake of a super fight. Champions shouldn’t get to jump the line in other weight classes, they should have to earn it either by fighting in the other weight class first or lots of title defences where they are.
On occasion there is a fight that should happen like Silva vs GSP but generally speaking I don’t care if a year has any title fights.

Almost a third of the way through the year and been the most lacklustre to date. Nothing amazing scheduled before July

Leaves the last third of the year for there to be some amazing fights scheduled

who cares. if you didnt enjoy ufc 236 than your hard to please.

let me guess you think ufc 239 is full of trash

I was just thinking there's like zero UFC matchups I can think of on the horizon that are even mildly interesting. Nothing from UFC to look forward to. Who's gonna want to buy their IPO stock?

If you're still waiting for amazing after last week's main and co-main events, I don't think you'll ever be satisfied. As others have said, I'd rather fighters stick to their own weight classes, rather than clogging up multiple divisions for dubious gain.

VengefulCompetentCanary-size_restricted.gif

We've had good/great fights literally every fucking week. How are you complaining?

I don't take it too seriously when people say MMA has the worst fandom, but I'm starting to believe it...
There’s been a ton of great fights but few “big fights”

I'm not a big fan of superfights anyway. It ties up entire dvisions. Last week was the best co main/main in a while.

Back